Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:30 PM
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most accurate action?

I'm mostly interested in silhouette and club target shooting, not specifically BR, but thought I might get a better response posting this question here.

Which action is the most accurate? I've more experience in the CF world and there are some actions that are definitely more accurate than others.
It's often a matter of lock time and overall stiffness: quick lock time and super-stiff = accurate.
Does it make much of a difference here in the rimfire world? Are there one or two actions that seem to win more contests than the others?

I ask because I have a beautiful original 1985 77/22 and was considering building a competition rig. New barrel and stock, trigger and bolt work, etc.
But after I buy all those parts the action is the only thing I'm still using. Why don't I just keep the Ruger as it is and build a new rifle around a new action?

One more point is that I'm cheap...I'm not going to buy a $500+ rifle just to strip it, so it would be great if an accurate action is available at a decent price.
About 35 years ago the Rem 788 (cheap) action was winning because it had the fastest lock time available.
thanks!
Old 03-30-2017, 01:00 PM
TightPlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not An Expert But. . .

I have also been trying to check on what actions would be worth considering if I had the means to build my dream benchrest rig.

With emphasis on your question "Are there one or two actions that seem to win more contests than the others?", here is a link to what the gentlemen at the ARA Nationals were using last year: https://www.americanrimfire.com/inde...h_results/3081

Click on the "Equipment" tab on the right of the tabulation.

It looks like a quick rundown does not give us any that truly stands out. Take note though that Richard Gorham stands out as the winningest gunsmith in the group and he worked on a variety of actions.

Last edited by TightPlinker; 03-30-2017 at 01:04 PM.