Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:37 PM
South_Pender

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Help with Choice of Front Bag

I'm wondering how best to set up my front rest for a rifle with a stock like this:

The flat piece on the bottom of the forend is 3.0" in width.

Do you guys who shoot with stocks like this just rest the forend on the metal cradle of the front rest top or do you add a bag like this one:

I can see the gun sliding more effortlessly without any bag. If you would use a bag like the Bald Eagle one in the picture, do you pinch the sides in so that the bag is sort of gripping the forend?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-17-2017, 09:27 PM
linekin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
I've tried quite a few different setups. Currently I'm using a bag similar to the one shown. I was using an adjustable top previously for the convenience of accommodating different forearm widths.
I had a 1 pc. rest a while back with delrin on the sides & bottom to support the stock. I didn't like its rigidity & felt like it was inducing a vibration through the rifle. Can't say it bothered it but it was "in my head".
I shoot br & have not seen anyone resting the forearm on any rest without something guiding the stock.
There are even roller tops out there & tops that have spring loaded delrin plungers that center the rifle.
Don't think there is anything set in stone as to whats best. I think it all boils down to what works for you & the rifle.

Keith
Old 01-18-2017, 03:05 PM
hawkeye62
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I shoot a 64S BR with a front bag similar to the BE bag in the photo. I "pinch" the bag enough to provide some resistance to sliding too much on recoil. I have a Protektor bag with the slick silver.

Good luck, Jim