Russian Biathlon - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-28-2004, 03:38 AM
dbuckbee
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Biarhlon Basic

My earlier Basic has a very light colored stock. The newer one is dark, like Walnut. I haven't seen a newer model, but the guys who have, reported that it has an adjustable trigger.
There has been much press about each here on RFC. So, if you do a search you can read what the guys have to say about them both.
Can't suggest a rifle for you to buy. There is so much of your personality involved with the choice, I can't venture there. Both are very accurate rifles, but of different design. The Biathlon has a Russian glass bedding that is unique, very well thought out, and effective. The CZ is a more conventional bolt action rifle that can be reworked into a very good trigger pull and is also well made. I have each rifle.
You might as well buy both of them.....
Don

Last edited by dbuckbee; 06-28-2004 at 03:41 AM.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:05 AM
Knothead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all the info guys it is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-28-2004, 11:15 AM
dbuckbee

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sporter Class

Joe,
I support the establishment of the Sporter Class in your e-mail matches.
I have this rifle a guy up at da Soo sold me that will shoot....
DB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2004, 07:57 PM
Knothead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well picked up my Russian today!Turns out they where both used so I decided on the one that already had the refinished stock and trigger job!Trigger is at about 1.5 pounds!Who ever had it took good care of it ! Bore looks like its never had a round thru it! Put a simmons 3-9x40 on it tonight just to get started shooting so can see what its going to do!Will upgrade the scope quality once see its potential!I want to thank everyone that posted info on these guns it made it easier for me to make up my mind!
Old 06-30-2004, 10:52 PM
Cornbread2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have seen both the older and newer rifles with adjustable triggers. I have only seen one without the adjustable trigger.

One of our local bench shooters was testing one at our club recently on the 100 yard line. He was shooting groups with Wolf MT that was amazing for a rimfire.

If I needed a sporter type rifle this is the one I would buy.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:07 PM
Crow Feather

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've said it before, and I'll say it one more time. The Biathlon Basic is boring. All you have to do is take it out of the box, mount a scope and start shooting. It is already pillar bedded and glassed, the barrel is free floated, and the trigger doesn't need any work. The action is smooth without any grit and repeat shots are almost a fast as an autoloader. The only thing it lacks is sling swivel studs, so if you feel like have to work on your new rifle this will give you something to do. It certainly doesn't lack anything in accuracy. And no, I don't have a dog in this hunt. I just love finding a bargain and passing the word along. They are $239 at a shop not far from here.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Essex County

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm amazed. The Biathalon Basic seems to be getting rave reviews ( as did meade in the middle ages ). I can overlook a Whole bunch of asthetics for a real shooter. My question is for those who have scoped theirs. What would you recomend? Over the years I've learned to profit from those that have gone before me. The only problem is you'r always a step behind being on the cutting edge!!! Thanks in advance..........Essex
Old 07-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Joe Haller
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Joe Haller
The Cutting Edge . . .

Sometimes being on the cutting edge can make you bleed: Or cost you money, better spent elsewhere.

As for that Biathlon Basic: Well, selecting a scope should be determined by what you are going to do with the rifle. Here is my advice, for whatever it is worth.

First Off: That Russian rifle deserves a quality scope and one with parallax adjustment.

For squirrel hunting and plinking a 6 power is about right.

If you want to mix it up with the boys in one of the 7.5 pound Sporter Classes, get a Burris or Weaver 6X. (Parallax adjustable of course) Sure would be interesting to see how that stock Russian rifle stacks up against the Sako's with the Lilja barrels and 2 oz. Jewel triggers.

If you want a rifle for hunting plus target shooting, ya should go for a variable powerr scope. For Metallic Silhouette Matches, where ya gota stand on yer hind legs, a variable can be set to a power to match your "area of hold". Crank up the power as you improve.

Want to shoot USBR 8.5 lb. Sporter Matches? You can use a higher power score here, and ya don't need a spotting scope ta see the bullet holes.

For the pure pleasure of punching out small 5 shot groups: Get a fixed power scope of 36 power, with a 1/8 minute dot. The Weaver T-36 and the 36X Sightron are good ones. They both will focus down to 25 yards. And that is important if you plan to shoot in the RFC E-Mail Matches.

The E-Mail Matches are "GUTS". No equipment classes. You get to compare your scores against some of the best rimfire benchrest shooters from across the country. Your Biathlon Basic will be hard pressed against these boys and girls. But, I would guarantee you: Your marksmanship skills WILL improve after just a few E-Mail Matches.

As Gary Anderson once said: "You will never get any better than the competition you shoot against".

Joe Haller :-)
Old 07-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Danny Creasy
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes to the Sporter Class

Joe,

I think it would be great.

Danny
Old 07-01-2004, 06:03 PM
Crow Feather

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One dealer I know has sold over 300 of these rifles. Almost all of them have Simmons ProHunter 4-12x40 AO scopes. Some of the last ones out the door have Simmons ATV 4.5-14x40 AO which is a newer model on the market and a step up. A couple of them had Tasco scopes with mil dots and AO. The thing they all had in common is AO and the ability to go up to 12 or 14X. That rig makes one heck of a fine squirrel rifle and on the range it has maxed the Black Death Target many, many times.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:35 PM
dbuckbee

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Biathlon Basic

Has anyone seen or own one of the later configuration Basic's with the adjustable trigger? I keep reading about their being one with an adjustable trigger, but haven't heard from anyone who has seen and adjusted the trigger???
DB
Old 07-24-2004, 12:48 PM
Knothead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New scope just came in for the russian !As I had said I would move up in scope power as I found out what the guns potentail was! Didnt not take long to figure out the 3X9X40 is not enough scope! It now wears a 36x44 AO !Have not had a chance to shoot it yet with the new scope! Will be trying some Wolf me next time out! Will post how it turns out!
Old 07-24-2004, 08:12 PM
Crow Feather

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is one post I'll be looking forward to seeing, Knothead. Good shooting.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:31 AM
cattleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
crow feather could you tell the name of gun shop for basic
Old 07-28-2004, 06:32 PM
Crow Feather

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattleman
crow feather could you tell the name of gun shop for basic
The first one that comes to mind is www.whittakerguns.com near Owensboro, KY. If you don't find it with that address just Google Whittakerguns. They have them for about $239. Also, my 'smith orders them from Jerry's Sports.