TakeDown Bull Barrel - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Ugoslow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I would wager that it's less about the takedown mounting method being superior to the v-block design, and more about the takedown mount interfering less with barrel harmonics than the factory carbine stock. The very design requires the receiver be more solidly attached to the back section of the stock, while the front of the stock is disconnected from the back and thus can't apply upward pressure on the barrel. It's not quite free floated, but having the two sections of the stock separate is better than having the stock apply an inconsistent amount of pressure to the barrel depending on if you look at it the wrong way.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:44 AM
nemohunter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
95% (77)
Now drill and tap the top for cantalever scope mount and you will be good to go.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:10 PM
tfbit

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This! But make a new herkin' stiff cantilever mount that will not flex at all, requiring no support to rest on top of the reciever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemohunter View Post
Now drill and tap the top for cantalever scope mount and you will be good to go.

Last edited by tfbit; 10-11-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 12:44 PM
OleFreak

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugoslow View Post
I would wager that it's less about the takedown mounting method being superior to the v-block design, and more about the takedown mount interfering less with barrel harmonics than the factory carbine stock. The very design requires the receiver be more solidly attached to the back section of the stock, while the front of the stock is disconnected from the back and thus can't apply upward pressure on the barrel. It's not quite free floated, but having the two sections of the stock separate is better than having the stock apply an inconsistent amount of pressure to the barrel depending on if you look at it the wrong way.
I still couldn’t care less about the take down feature and was thinking it could be a superior connection method for doing a switch barrel arrangement using a well anchored receiver in a more conventional one piece stock that could better utilise “interfering less with barrel harmonics”.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:06 PM
BrassMaster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
/want
Old 10-16-2012, 01:58 AM
parashooter82

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If this works well, Im in for a turned down bull barrel.

you selling???
Old 10-23-2012, 01:55 PM
couch

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by parashooter82 View Post
If this works well, Im in for a turned down bull barrel.

you selling???
I may offer this service in the near future. I would like to get another under my belt before I do someone elses though.

Finished up the stock last night!
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=470620
Old 10-29-2012, 12:02 PM
KimberDave

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Dang, nicely done couch!
Old 10-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Screwball

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That would be a neat thing to have... especially with the second slot in the bag.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:03 PM
Gogreenman
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by couch View Post
Yes, the original overall length and chamber are unchanged. Slot for extractor is the original as well. One lathe operation and one mill op with the 4th axis.
VERY nicely done sir!! I would love to have this done...I WILL have this done. lol
I, sadly, don't have that much experience with a lathe and mill but I have a friend that does and has threaded barrels for me in the past that could probably do this for me. I guess what I'm asking is what better details could I give him to help him accomplish this.
Thanks
Old 11-08-2012, 08:17 PM
etp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Would you mind posting the dimensions for us? I'd love to have a machine shop do the work as I don't have the proper equipment!
Old 11-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Gogreenman
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
PM sent to you couch.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:12 AM
jake805

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Couch,

I'm also interested in having this work done. I'm specifically interested in having a replacement machined from a Volquartsen muzzle-weighted 1 in 9 twist barrel. The idea is to have a spare barrel in the bag dedicated to Aguila 60 grain SSS ammunition.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:26 PM
Boosted98gsx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did you temper/harden the barrel where it goes into the action like they do on the OEM barrel? May get wear if you don't.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:00 AM
10\22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey! Looks great!!! I want to do this but I need the measurements between the dots...
Could you please measure the distance between the dots?? That would be AWESOME if you could!
Do you know the angle between the 2 flat spots at the receiver end of the barrel?

And one more question, is the angle between the ejector slot and the flat spots 90 degrees?

Thank you so, so, so, much!!

Nolie

Last edited by 10\22; 02-23-2013 at 01:04 AM. Reason: I forgot to post the picture sorry :)