Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:01 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Mauser 22 Range Report (pics)

I got a chance to take the little Mauser to the range last night, despite the 103 degree Oklahoma heat I left the original, shortened trigger in the rifle, since it happened to be so configured when I had the time get out the door. I knew the barrel had very good potential, as I had fired some promising groups, before I turned the barrel down, with a Jerry-rigged scope, necessarily placing both rings on the rear bridge. I won’t rehearse the entire debacle regarding scope mounting on this rifle other than to say that massive reconstruction of the bolt handle would have been needed to place a scope low enough to not look ridiculous, or be completely practical, and I really wanted to leave the bolt in its original condition. This left iron sights as the only option.

I have keratoconus, a severe type of astigmatism that requires special hard contact lenses; without them, I would be legally blind (as opposed to being illegally blind). This almost certainly rules out any kind of iron sights for me, but since I made this rifle for my grandson, I decided to use the very nice NECG .22 Peep Sight. Though a bit blocky looking, as some have observed, this is a top-quality, all-steel and fully adjustable rear aperture sight that attached directly to a receiver dovetail. Unfortunately, like my eyes, it, too, is not without limitations, as I would discover.

First, I realized I did not ever post any pictures of the front sight bead, housed in the NECG Masterpiece ramp. This particular model features a standard-looking silver bead and a larger flip-up “ivory” bead for darker conditions. I found the larger bead worked best for my eyes, and I made some targets that allowed use of that large bead. A petite sight hood is available from NECG, but I haven’t got one yet. Hoods don’t really flip my switch, but I guess I’ll probably get one eventually. Here is the front sight with the larger bead flipped up, and then folded down into its little cubbyhole:

Okay, back to the range report. Using these customized targets, I was able to achieve a surprisingly good sight picture. The larger white area of the target allows for a “halo” of light between the bead and the black ring at 50 yards. When I moved up to 25 yards, though, I lost the halo, and the R-25 groups opened up, though the problem could also be the .22 Short ammunition’s lack of precision in the LR chamber, or possibly the too-fast rifling twist of the Mauser.

First, the bad news. As you can see from the pictures, the POI is about 1.5” left of center. The rear sight is moved as far to the right as possible, but the amount of adjustment is just short of being enough. I can’t imagine anything being askew; the barrel was turned down on a very good lathe, and the front sight ramp is right at top dead center. I doubt the pre-war Mauser employees machined the dovetail improperly, so that leaves the sight itself. I see a couple of options, all involving removing material from the sight or one of its screws. I think I’ll contact NECG about this.

I didn’t show all the targets but selected the best and worst with each brand of ammo. The 50 yard targets using Lapua Master M and Wolf MT show a bit of horizontal dispersion. I attribute this to my eyes. Through the aperture, I get a pretty clear picture vertically, but my cornea blurs the image horizontally, making my aiming less than precise right and left. Nonetheless, some of the groups are incredibly good for my eyes and iron sights, and I couldn’t be more pleased. All the concern expressed about turning down a barrel or fully bedding a barrel and losing accuracy seems to be moot with this rifle. If Thomas can’t hit a squirrel in the head at 50+ yards with this little rifle, it won’t be the rifle’s fault.
Enjoy:

Teddy Bear Rat
Old 08-04-2010, 11:10 PM
HerrJaegermeist

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Perfect rifle

I really like that little Mauser. Can you please tell me more about it? Are they available for purchase?

Where did you get yours?
Old 08-04-2010, 11:32 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
The Mauser 340 and 350 rifles are available for $300 to $1000, depending upon condition and sights. They feature very long barrels of varmint weight contour, and usually shoot like a house afire. The action resembles a miniature 98, especially the cocking piece and safety, and the workmanship exceeds that of nearly every other .22 bolt gun I've owned, and I've owned a bunch. They utilize a one-piece forged bolt, the body of which rotates when opened and closed, unlike most bolt action .22s, so they also feature a non-rotating extractor. The Mauser .22 also has an eccentric bolt-to-barrel design, which is much easier to understand by examination than it is to describe. They are available in sport model and military trainer configurations, and the vast majority are single shots. The repeating sporters in original condition are rare and highly sought after, costing well over $1000 to $1500 and more.

I think they represent one of the very best .22 bolt actions, if not the best, ever made, and they are a steal if you're willing to alter one, or live with the difficult-to-mount-a-scope issue (the bolt handle precludes a low-mounted scope).

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=182562638

Good luck,

TBR

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 08-05-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2010, 06:06 AM
williwm
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
TBR, fantastic job, that is a work of art. great shooting too.

I've got some old advertising here somewhere showing Mauser guaranteed 1/2" groups at 50 yards. Not too bad for a 1930's rifle and ammo.

Here's a repeater that sold last night, surprised me as the rear sight appears to be an incorrect Walther sight. Original rear sights are very hard to find and very expensive if the seller knows what he has.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=182007679

again, great work, mw
Old 08-05-2010, 09:12 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
wm,
Thanks for the comments.

About 4 years ago, I bought, unwittingly, a beautiful 350B in about 98% condition for $350, not knowing what it was but sensing it was a screaming deal given the craftsmanship and finish. It featured the Mauser cartouche and checkering on the stock, and the correct rear sight that slides along the barrel (a little work of art, BTW). I'm sure you know what it was called...something like "grand champion"... Anyway, I mounted a scope in extra-high rings and shot a few squirrels with it but let it go for about $500 a year later, thinking I'd done well. The guy who bought it later told me I gave it away. Ever since, I really yearned for that little mini Mauser action, which prompted me to build this from a rifle with a beater stock and pitting on the outside of the barrel (bore looked pristine).

One thing I failed to mention in my range report was the smooth and flawless funtioning of this little Mauser gem; more reliable and solid feeling than the various Anschutz single shots that have passed through my hands over the years.

For my first grandson, I made the mistake of starting with a Cricket rifle. I ended up discarding the stock, trigger guard, cocking knob, trigger, and receiver, retaining only the barrel and bolt. Though very nice, it is a greatly inferior design, becoming the proverbial purse from a sow's ear. From now on, I will heap my time and attention only on actions of superior design:

TBR

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 08-05-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:46 AM
dhuze
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

On an island surrounded by land on 3 sides.
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just looked at a Mauser .22. I think it was a 340. I got a bit excited until I looked at the tag. It's not nearly as nice as yours and they want $899 for it. By "not nearly as nice" I mean the stock loooks like plain birch. (I don't know what it is, just what it looks liike to me.) and the finish is thinning. It is in a Cabelas and they generally do not like to negotiate their prices.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:57 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by williwm View Post
TBR, fantastic job, that is a work of art. great shooting too.

I've got some old advertising here somewhere showing Mauser guaranteed 1/2" groups at 50 yards. Not too bad for a 1930's rifle and ammo.

Here's a repeater that sold last night, surprised me as the rear sight appears to be an incorrect Walther sight. Original rear sights are very hard to find and very expensive if the seller knows what he has.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=182007679

again, great work, mw
Not to highjack TBR's thread, but it never ceases to amaze me that people who don't even know what they have, can sell things for more than the going rate and for twice as much as I'd be able to get, if it were mine
Why must everyone call these "Mauser Patrone"??? Patrone means cartridge and is usually followed by "22 long rifle or 22 lang fuer Buchsen" on any German 22.
This was a nice and rare Mauser MS350B, and I also think the sight is from a Walther sporter/target rifle. As is often the case, the excellent and expensive rear sight is missing on this one. My $.02.
LC
And again, nice work TBR.

Last edited by gewehrfreund; 08-06-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:43 AM
Irish John

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You Sir, are a true artist. Thanks for sharing the photos.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:51 PM
jamracer21
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
nice gun, i love the stock and look of that mauser