Geeks: Help a geezer out here, guys - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:03 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Geeks: Help a geezer out here, guys

I do not have a smart phone, I do not want a smart phone, I dont need a smart phone. However, my dear wife is determined to have a smart phone since all of her lady friends have them. These friends are never without them, yet none of them can explain to her how they work, why they work, what to do with them except chatter on facebook or some such.

She went to Walmart to look at some, trying to engage the clerk in any meaningful dialog was like trying to carry on a conversation with a sheep.

I looked them up on Amazon but the descriptions of the different items were entirely undecipherable to me, they might as well have been written in Swahili for all I could get out of them.

And how do you learn to use one of the confounded things, there are no classes around here that we know of .

Where the devil do I even start here ?

All help will be appreciated.

Last edited by jnyork; 08-16-2019 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:29 PM
Keeley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
TRACFONE

jn,

I got a tracfone. They have several models to choose from. All of them smarter then me and cheap compared to others service wise.

How do you learn how to use them?? Our local library has a geezer class now and then. Trial and error works. Hang out with the grandkids.

Did I mention I hate the %%%% thing?
Old 08-16-2019, 03:55 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You find a 6 or 7 or 8 year old kid and ask them. They know everything there is to know about em. Depending on what you want to do with one they can be very versatile. You can phone people, people can call you (and will, hundreds of telemarkerters), you can take photos, you can enter the names of businesses and friends in your contacts, you can put your contacts into folders (friends, business, etc.) You can text, you can receive texts, you can send photos, you can receive photos. You can listen to music, podcasts, get the news, post at RFC, do on-line banking and watch movies. You can spend a fortune on them. You can use map applications ( apps) to find addresses, find where you are, etc., etc., etc. Which is why nearly everyone has one.

Just about anyone will be glad to show you how they work. I have an Apple and the store peeps will set you up for free and explain anything you need to know. Probably anyone that sells them along with a service plan will explain them. They are mini computers....I control my irrigation system with one. Oh yeah, you can pick one up that is ringing as you are drying off after a shower, have the camera on face time and not even know it. Had a client call me one morning when I accidentally did that...almost never got her off the phone. I have a SE might be a 6 model....not sure....does everything I want a phone to do. It is an older one. We are at the point where you almost need one for many transactions. I'm sure there are plenty of u-tube videos and even forums you can join. I'm going to shoot mine one day. 1917

https://www.wikihow.com/Choose-a-Smartphone

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 08-16-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2019, 04:15 PM
dlong
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do you have an Apple store near you. They have free classes on all you need to know.

For me it’s a necessity. Use it for:
Phone calls
Email
Directions
Banking
Stock trading
Camera
Reservations
Data sheets
Weather
News
Google earth
You tube university
Amazon
Plane reservation
Price checking
RFC
Etc etc

Sucks because:

You can never get away from work.
......Tom Petty

Last edited by dlong; 08-16-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First question what service do you currently have?
What is budget on phone.
And like me I know you are too cheap to buy and iphone
Old 08-16-2019, 04:34 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think all of these phones actually do about the same thing one way or the other. If you have specific questions ask em. Members here can tackle about any question asked. I paid $350 for my SE Apple at the Mac Store. it has about 32 gb which is good for 20K photos and 5K songs, etc. In other words...more than I will ever use. The more storage you purchase the more the thing cost. I bought an unlocked phone.....that means I can use it with ATT or Verizon, etc. If you purchase a phone from Verizon or AT&T you will get a phone locked into their service only. This isn't particularly bad....unless you need to change service provider for some reason. Many times AT&T or Verizon have sales going on where you can get the phone of your choice at no cost if you will sign a two year contract. I believe that is fading out though....and now days people are just purchasing a phone.

I recently checked with Verizon regarding what they offered and it was about $3 cheaper per month than AT&T. Another consideration if you aren't in town is how is the reception where your are for whatever provider you choose. Mine gets one bar regardless of provider...home, office or at the farm. Pretty crummy but that is the way it is. One thing a phone is really good for is safety....especially for your wife. If the car breaks down or she needs help 911 is only three digits away. I have "find my phone" "on" since I'm old and take long hikes back in the deeps woods. If I go down dyin' and the battery is still good and there is service...someone will at least be able to find my phone. 1917
Old 08-16-2019, 05:14 PM
dlong
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Funny, just this minute my son came home from work and crushed his iPhone screen against a corner st work. Shattered. Thatís minimum $500 for a new phone. Donít cry big guy, thatís a days pay for you. Heís as cheap as the day is long. Told him my office manager had a stack of old turned in phones in his office and I can probably get one on Monday for $50. But heís got the hot nuts and needs it for the weekend.

PS , if you buy , get the insurance.
......Tom Petty
Old 08-16-2019, 05:18 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork View Post
I do not have a smart phone, I do not want a smart phone, I dont need a smart phone.
I'm thinking that a month or so after your wife gets her phone you'll be thinking of one for yourself. Might as well go ahead and get it over right away as you can usually get a pretty good twofer deal where you get one sorta kinda fancy phone and an el cheapo thrown in for free.

Quote:
However, my dear wife is determined to have a smart phone since all of her lady friends have them. These friends are never without them, yet none of them can explain to her how they work, why they work, what to do with them except chatter on facebook or some such.
It works like a mini-computer with a touch screen. Oh, and it also makes phone calls.

Load up your directory by typing it all in the hard way the first time. After that you can search for a name in the directory just like searching on google. Type in part of the name and up pops a list of matches. Touch the one you want then touch the spot to tell it you want to call one of the numbers (home, cell, office) tied to that name or touch the spot to type out a text message instead. Caller ID built in, of course -- if you get a call from someone in your directory the phone will announce their name as it rings. If not in your directory it will announce "unknown caller" and you can choose to silence the ringer by pushing a button and ignoring the call. It records voice mail, too, and saves it until you delete it.

If you have a newer vehicle, the phone can be WiFi (bluetooth) connected to your vehicle radio for hands-free phone use. Incoming calls interrupt the sound from the radio. Pushing a button on the steering wheel will answer the call -- you speak into a mic in the dash or radio somewhere and it goes out via your phone. Your directory can be shown on your radio's touchscreen, assuming you have a vehicle that new, so you can make an outgoing call just by pressing the name of the person you want to call.

It has a camera built in. Take a photo, touch the right spot on the screen and send it to someone's email address or via text to their smart phone. You can view all the photos you've made on the phone's screen. Great way to brag on the grand kids without having to carry a photo album around with you. You can also set it up to send the photos directly to facebook or instagram (the kewl kids are moving from facebook to instagram).

You can set the phone up to get your email on your phone. You can set it up to also leave the email where your computer can get to it too, if you want that. You can change the size of the font to be easily readable even without your bifocals.

It has GPS built into it suitable for navigation while driving. You can download other GPS apps (the kewl kids call them apps instead of applications or programs) that download topo maps and make it a GPS suitable for hiking or backcountry driving.

Built in calculator, compass, level (yes, a level) calendar (that you can use to make reminders that will chime your phone), timers, stopwatch, a notepad, world clock (doesn't everyone want to know the time in Ouagadougou?), a flashlight, alarm clock, and more.

You can set the phone up to connect to the internet, either through the phone system or through WiFi connections at home or in places that offer free WiFi. Connecting to the internet to surf RFC or stream videos from YouTube eats up a ton of data which you pay extra for if you do it over the phone towers. You can set the phone up so it will make this kind of connection only if WiFi is available (instead of using phone service) and that won't cost any data charges.

Quote:
I looked them up on Amazon but the descriptions of the different items were entirely undecipherable to me, they might as well have been written in Swahili for all I could get out of them.
Buy last year's model. It will do all you need and then some and will cost less than trying to keep up with the Jones. Unless your wife takes lots of photos and never deletes anything you don't need one that takes extra memory chips. The built in memory will be fine.... but if in doubt get one that takes the chips. The chips are cheap and it's a handy feature. Choose one with a decent camera (more megapixels the better). Veteran's discounts are sometimes available and you should be able to get a veteran discount on the actual service (monthly bill).

Apple sells them and like everything Apple they are proprietary. Android phones are the PC version (non-Apple version) and are sold by lots of different makers. Not a whole lot of difference in the way they work.... just a different button pushing sequence.

Just as important as the phone itself is the carrier (the company providing the phone service). Make sure they have good coverage where you live and where you plan to travel. I use Verizon and one of my neighbors is on ATT. I get pretty good service coverage here. She gets lousy coverage. Verizon bought up our local small-time phone company and invested in the towers... the only difference.

Quote:
And how do you learn to use one of the confounded things, there are no classes around here that we know of .
Pretty intuitive, most of them. Worst case, see if your local community college offers an extension course on the subject. Otherwise, find someone that you know who uses one and just ask them to show you what they do with it... not how, but what. The how (what buttons are where) changes with who made the phone. You're a smart guy; you'll figure it out.

Last edited by Sophia; 08-16-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:23 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No kids, no job, nobody to text that I'm out of Benefiber, hence no help from me JN. Good luck being one of the cool kids.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:34 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
That's a pretty well laid out guide.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:51 PM
jnyork

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post

t. You can change the size of the font to be easily readable even without your bifocals.

t.
You just HAD to throw that in , didn't you?

Seriously, thanks so much for taking the time to write that all out. I'm really getting some good info here, along with that link posted by 1917-1911.

Keep it coming, folks, I need all the help I can get.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
You just HAD to throw that in , didn't you?

Seriously, thanks so much for taking the time to write that all out. I'm really getting some good info here, along with that link posted by 1917-1911.

Keep it coming, folks, I need all the help I can get.
Yeah she loves to pick on her elders.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:10 PM
jnyork

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
OK, so I am looking at the iphones on Amazon. Most of them are rebuilt ones, new ones kinda make my wallet whimper. Are the used ones worth buying?
Old 08-16-2019, 06:15 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
OK, so I am looking at the iphones on Amazon. Most of them are rebuilt ones, new ones kinda make my wallet whimper. Are the used ones worth buying?
Warranty?

I have a smartphone only because my brother got tired of watching me fat-finger out texts on my old flip phone. That and he didn't text me often because he knew what a pain it was for me.

So..... when he upgraded to the latest and greatest he gave me his iPhone 6. That was maybe two years ago. Still going strong, no battery issues. That's the one thing you may want to check. I recall hearing stories and complaints about issues with battery life on some models of the Apple phones. Is this one of them?

If cost is an issue, consider the Android phones. Samsung has a good rep.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:29 PM
Shamokinbob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Hey Al, I see you have no family, I believe you only have 3 guns left, I'm your man if you want to leave your worldly possessions to someone