Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:46 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Cost per round to reload 9mm

I have been getting the same sale flyers you all have about bulk 9mm Para ammo. This caused me to get out my trusty calculator to try and see what it is costing me now to reload.

7000 grains of powder per pound
Aprox. 5 grains per charge
=1,400 rounds per pound of powder

If a pound of pistol powder costs $22, that's 1.5 cents of powder per charge at the numbers above, right?

Jacketed 115 grain bullets (from Berry's, for instance) seem to be running about $.10 a piece.

Primers are around $0.2 each.

Assuming brass is free, and that my reloading gear and other consumables (lube, tumbling media) are also free or sunk costs (neither of which is true), that gives me completed rounds at about $0.14 per round.

My current conclusion: $0.16-0.17 per completed bulk factory round delivered starts to sound like a pretty good deal. This is particularly true when I consider the time it would take me to make up 1,000 rounds (around 5-7 hours). So that 7 hours of time is saving me about $30 per thousand rounds. Can't remember the last time I worked for $4 an hour.

Anyone else doing this math?
Old 03-02-2019, 10:54 AM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have done the same math and came up with the same numbers. I still reload because I enjoy the process but with the labor involved I'm losing money.

Mals
Old 03-02-2019, 11:13 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Agree. Doesn't make enough sense to load 9mm. Multiple reasons.

Savings, not.

Small case. Without a case feed I don't even like handling them with my fat fingers.

Unlike .45 the taper makes solid crimping a little tricky. Doable, yes. Have to be very smart about sorting brass. Not so with .45.

Most my 9mm goes through NFA toys. And those things are perfectly happy with steel-cased. 14 cents/rd right now, shipped. Easy to range clean with a magnet.
Mostly avoid reloads because of a) difficult crimp (telescoping = high pressure) and b) squib potential. Neither concern is hypothetical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2019, 11:30 AM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
I have never considered any savings in reloading ammo, I do it for pleasure and it fulfills my urge to recycle. My wife is happy because it keeps me off the street.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:43 AM
no4mk1t

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
This is what I tell someone who asks about getting into reloading...

If you shoot less than 1000 rounds per year, it's probably not economically feasible to reload. Not that economy is the only reason, but the thought of cheaper ammo is usually the primary incentive.

If you buy your components in small quantities, powder by the pound, bullets by the hundred, etc., reloading is going to cost about what flangster shows. To get any substantial savings, you need to buy powder by the 8lb. keg, primers by the case, and bullets by the thousand. Splitting the cost between a few shooting buds for the components is pretty easy to do.

Other things that help lower the cost is buying blem bullets when they pop up on sale, buying surplus powder if available for your caliber, and avoiding Haz Mat fees on shipping by looking for specials like now where both Midway and Midsouth are running no Haz Mat sales if you buy $150 worth.
I am a member in a gun club that buys their shotgun clay targets from a wholesaler that delivers monthly on their company truck. This vendor also has reloading components. As a member benefit, we can order reloading components and they are delivered on the company truck with the monthy order of clay targets. No shipping or Haz Mat charges.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:20 PM
damonkeydobad
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
I stopped reloading handgun ammo back in the late 70s except for hunting handguns.I do reload for all my rifles for performance.But handgun ammo can be purchased by the thousands as cheap as i can reload it.(and my time is worth something)
Old 03-02-2019, 12:57 PM
wmrike

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Without running and looking up numbers, I was telling my brother that he could load 9mm for under $6.00 a box.

I siphon WSF from an 8# keg I use for 20 ga., and use MBC cast bullets. No idea what I've been paying for primers.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:08 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
Anyone else doing this math?
I was told there wouldn't be any math.

≡✪≡
Old 03-02-2019, 02:54 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
when i got into reloading i was making about 5 bucks/hr.

but i did it for those and the enjoyment of learning how the process works and if i needed to, i could roll my own.

Your numbers are fine, for you, but if you have been buying supplies longer than that, your numbers will be lower, as expected.

my ROT for loading costs was that primers were free. They were < 0.01/per. yes, they cost me money, but in order to show that 0.01 i had to roll more than 100 or even 1000 rounds before that primer price showed.

my powders were < 10 bucks/lb too. and the bullets too.

the cost will depend on when you bought your components and how long you hold onto them. some of my friends beg me to sell (give) them some powders since "they cant get any",but in reality they dont want to spend the 25+ bucks to do so.

same for 22 ammo. my ROT for buying it was for anything < 0.02/round was a good deal. No matter the brand/type since i had enough different toys that i would find 1 that would eat them.

yes, your time maybe worth more to you, but i do it more for the enjoyment and to quality time by myself.

also, you may not remember that at times ammo prices have skyrocketed, like 22LR. you may not remember those times if you are young, but when those times happen, its when you see the "i wish i has bought this or that" to reload when it happens. Its always the people that dont think ahead or the "oh crap" that end up wish/hoping they would have. Its when those times happen, is when i have a big smile on my face and can go out shooting and not break my bank.

also, what it comes down to is that people will justify their own numbers and how they do things. You may not see the 4 bucks as worth anything, but you may drive 100 miles and burn up 1/2 a tank of fuel to save that much for something.

everyone does things for different reasons, no matter what you or i think.

Last edited by bangbang; 03-02-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:36 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
Oh yeah, just remembered another reason I am glad I hand load, the powers that be here in Commiefornia decided it would be a good idea to make us register our ammunition purchases. You have to pay a fee, pass a background check and be issued a card that says you can buy ammo in limited amounts. It starts in July. I currently hand load for all the calibers I shoot excepting shotgun, so I don't have to beg, hat in hand, to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights. I have enough cases, powder, primers and shot to last several years.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:12 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
Oh yeah, just remembered another reason I am glad I hand load, the powers that be here in Commiefornia decided it would be a good idea to make us register our ammunition purchases. You have to pay a fee, pass a background check and be issued a card that says you can buy ammo in limited amounts. It starts in July. I currently hand load for all the calibers I shoot excepting shotgun, so I don't have to beg, hat in hand, to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights. I have enough cases, powder, primers and shot to last several years.
Sad, but unfortunately they probably aren't finished curtailing your rights. There will soon be another wave.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:48 PM
LHitchcox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I didn't reload 9mm until the Obama ammo shortage after Sandy Hook. I bought a carton 2000 of Remington 115 jacketed bullets for $100, two cartons of Fiocci primers that held 2500 primers for $25 each. An 8 pound box of H-P 38 that I paid $50 for at a gun show was already on the shelf. I also got about 1000 115 grain cast bullets for 9mm for cheap thinking they were for .38 special, so I had plenty of components at a time when ammo had disappeared from the shelves.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:53 PM
scottycoyote

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
yep i just bought 1000 rounds for 149 delivered.....if youre only reloading for savings youre barely coming out ahead if you factor nothing for your time.

im looking forward to the day when my time isnt worth anything but im not there yet
Old 03-04-2019, 10:52 PM
D Bart

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When you deduct the value of the once fired brass from the cost of new factory 9mm ammo I don't believe you can save money loading it even if your buying components in bulk.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:21 AM
JDWinCO

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
"Savings" are not the only reason for reloading your brass, pistola or rifle. Despite the current trend of ammo makers getting better ammo on the shelves, you can still tailor loads for your arms.