Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:29 PM
1813Anschutz
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
.17 HMR cleaning

I was on a praire dog shoot last Sunday and fired 500 rounds. That evening thinking that the bore would be absolutely filthy, decided to run a brush and patch to clean it out.

To my surprise, almost no fouling at all!! The last round fired was just as accurate as the first in my CZ 452.

Several others that I have spoken with on this topic have had the same experience.

What is it about the .17 HMR that makes it so easy to clean, with almost no fouling at all?

Randy

Last edited by 1813Anschutz; 06-06-2019 at 12:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-06-2019, 02:45 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have 3 Anschutz .17hmrs (a pair of 1717D's, one with a Lilja barrel, and a 1727F), along with a Volquartsen Fusion semi-auto.

All of them get much dirtier than any of my .22's, plus they get some copper fouling.
I currently use Bore Tech Eliminator, which has a copper cleaner in it.
But in the past I've used several other brands.

With all of them it takes considerable work to get them clean, which includes extensive use of a bronze brush.

If you aren't running a bronze bush though your barrel, I have feeling the you maybe leaving a lot of crud in the bore.
I'd also recommend running a coper cleaner that has the feature of turning blue if it detects any copper through your barrel

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 06-06-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:03 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
I agree with Smooth... Copper cutter solvents and brush are mandatory.. and, a scrub of the chamber may/should be necessary more often than the bore... but always follow up by chasing the contaminants out the bore. Mine copper foul at about 250-300 rds. and I lose some accuracy. If just using the average/common solvent you definitely won't see the dark rags like you do with 22LR.. IF you use the Copper Solvents you get a varying range of colors as it cuts/removes the Copper... colors are depending on the chem's in the solvent...

This is a quote I just read today..."The ammonia based copper cutters work, but they use ammonia which can be potentially harmfull to your bore and you for that matter. If you use them as many do go behind them with your regular bore cleaner and then a good gun oil.
I would suggest using Bore Tech's Eliminator. It is safe and cuts copper like nothing I have seen and I have used all of the strong ammonia based products."

BUT, It is best to run a dry mop before shooting .. a wet bore has been know to etch.. not good for accuracy.

https://www.boretech.com/products/cu2-copper-remover

Last edited by Chaser; 06-06-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2019, 04:38 PM
1813Anschutz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
sweets

I ran Sweets 7.62 Bore Solvent down the bore....if nothing is coming out with Sweets ..there is nothing to come out.

Randy
Old 06-06-2019, 05:12 PM
Smoothtrigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cant remember if Sweets turns a patch blue in the presence of copper.
Don't believe it does.

However I've never seen a .17hmr that didn't lay down any copper.
But anything is possible, just not probable.

Have you run a bronze bush down the bore several times, and then run a patch?
Not just for copper, but for crud?

Smooth

By the way the reason I'm posting is that I have tons of fellow shooters with .17hmrs (my range has 2000 members and around 18,000 public shooter every year), and to a man, they all hate cleaning there .17's.
So I'm super interested in this topic.

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 06-10-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:46 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (92)
Sweet definitely turns blue in the presence of copper in the bore. I remember that using Sweets to clean 17 remington rifle bores while shooting prairie dogs. The 17 caliber barrels seem to foul more easily than most. Of course that is my observation while shooting in South Dakota prairie dog fields.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:53 PM
1813Anschutz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
brush

To answer your question....yes Outers .17 bronze brush was used. I also used Montana Extreme bore cleaner in addition to the Sweets 7.62
Patches are white, after Sweets came out with a light hint of blue/green, second patch had a light trace and the third patch was clear.

First Montana Extreme soaked patch was grayish, second had a light hint of color, third showed nothing......

Chamber is cleaned with a .25 caliber brush.

I am not a stranger to cleaning rifles, having shot NRA Service Rifle since 1987, jacket fouling is something I am quite familiar with on my M1A as well as many thousands of .223 rounds in AR-15's and my 3 varmint rifles (Winchester M70, Savage Axis and CZ).

Randy
Old 06-06-2019, 06:03 PM
Smoothtrigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok, understood.

However it takes me a ton of patches to get the carbon fully out on all of my .17's.
The copper issue was a bit of a side show, an important one, bit still not the main point.

So it looks like your rifle is much less impacted by carbon and copper fouling than any of mine.
I find that very interesting.

I'm a bit envious.

Smooth
Old 06-06-2019, 06:53 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
what variety of ammo were you shooting. I want some of that.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:28 PM
1813Anschutz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ammo question

I am shooting Hornady 17 grain .17HMR.....usually buy it when on sale, will get a carton at a time of more if funds are no problem....

BTW my partner shoots a Savage 93 and his experience is the same as mine with my 452 CZ.....

Go figure.

Randy
Old 06-06-2019, 09:57 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1813Anschutz View Post
I ran Sweets 7.62 Bore Solvent down the bore....if nothing is coming out with Sweets ..there is nothing to come out.

Randy
+1

I been using Sweets for 25+ years. There's nothing better at removing copper fouling. Might be something just as good but nothing better.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:42 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wish my Rem 17HMR semi would accurately run 500 rds w/o cleaning!
Old 06-07-2019, 04:18 PM
Smoothtrigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"I been using Sweets for 25+ years. There's nothing better at removing copper fouling. Might be something just as good but nothing better."

I just tested Sweets against KG12 Copper Solvent last month

I weighed two new penny's on my Sartorius lab scale, and then placed each one into a stainless steel cup filled with one of the two cleaners.

After 14 hours the Sweets removed 1% of the copper, the KG12 removed 5%.
The *Sweets penny was still shiny, the KG12 penny looked like this.

Notice the the KG 12 penny has had enough copper removed that the zinc is showing through.

KG12
Is water based, and is environmentally safe.
Contains no ammonia.
Does not need to be neutralized.
Only dissolves copper, and will not harm the bore.
Will not turn patches blue. It's only down side.

Smooth

* The Sweets penny actually came out even shinier than when it went in.
However, the KG12 removed 5 tiime's as much copper.
And I had to refresh the Sweets three times over the 14 hours because it was beginning to turn into a paste.

Sartorius Scale.

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 06-08-2019 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:27 PM
stockranger

TPC Rating: 
67% (1)
After my cz had about 1k rounds through it and had only been cleaned with a patchworm and hoppes/ballistol I soaked it overnight with wipeout. I expected to get some blue copper on the patch, but there was none. I will try it again in a couple thousand rounds. I have since got a .17 cal rod etc and give it a good scrubbing with the brush every now and then. I can't tell much difference between clean and dirty bore, but now that ammo testing is completed I don't bench it often.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:58 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
"I been using Sweets for 25+ years. There's nothing better at removing copper fouling. Might be something just as good but nothing better."

I just tested Sweets against KG12 Copper Solvent last month

I weighed two new penny's on my Sartorius lab scale, and then placed each one into a stainless steel cup filled with one of the two cleaners.

After 14 hours the Sweets removed 1% of the copper, the KG12 removed 5%.
The *Sweets penny was still shiny, the KG12 penny looked like this.

Notice the the KG 12 penny has had enough copper removed that the zinc is showing through.

KG12
Is water based, and is environmentally safe.
Contains no ammonia.
Does not need to be neutralized.
Only dissolves copper, and will not harm the bore.
Will not turn patches blue. It's only down side.

Smooth

* The Sweets penny actually came out even shinier than when it went in.
However, the KG12 removed 5 tiime's as much copper.
And I had to refresh the Sweets three times over the 14 hours because it was beginning to turn into a paste.

Sartorius Scale.
10-4 on the KG12 and thanks for that information. I will have to check it out. When I started using Sweet's I never looked for anything else.

You have a very organized reloading bench. Only time mine looked that good was when it was still in the box.