Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:44 AM
Gros21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Are aftermarket barrels worth it?

Im looking at 10 tac sol barrel for my mk3 stainless mainly cause I can. Its overkill and just is used only for paper punching.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:21 AM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Simple answer.....not always. Shoot the gun first and see what you're getting with the factory barrel. They research what you probably will get with the aftermarket barrel. I've had factory barrels on handguns that beat most aftermarket barrels. The factory doesn't always get it wrong. I've had a couple of factory barrels on different handguns that would out shoot premium aftermarket barrels. Don't assume that every time you buy something "aftermarket" it's always going to be better. The manufacturers of those products promote that belief to sell product. I've bought several aftermarket rifle and handgun barrels in my life, but after seeing what the original equipment had to offer first. You might be surprised.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:03 PM
TCBeard
Veteran Fire Fighter Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSecondBest View Post
Simple answer.....not always. Shoot the gun first and see what you're getting with the factory barrel. They research what you probably will get with the aftermarket barrel. I've had factory barrels on handguns that beat most aftermarket barrels. The factory doesn't always get it wrong. I've had a couple of factory barrels on different handguns that would out shoot premium aftermarket barrels. Don't assume that every time you buy something "aftermarket" it's always going to be better. The manufacturers of those products promote that belief to sell product. I've bought several aftermarket rifle and handgun barrels in my life, but after seeing what the original equipment had to offer first. You might be surprised.

That's a great answer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2019, 02:24 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I added aa Tactical Solutions barrel to my Ruger Mark III Hunter. The Hunter has an excellent barrel but is a little too heavy for what I'm using the gun for so I put the 4.5" barrel on it.

My groups are much tighter with the TacSol barrel. It's lighter and swings (TRACKS) better between target on the Steel Challenge course.

The HUnter barrel is excellent right from Ruger but I can tell a big difference in my gun. Your Millage May Very.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:27 PM
rosscoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCBeard View Post

That's a great answer!

I'll second that motion!
Old 03-22-2019, 04:11 PM
Gros21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The gun shoots fine certinally better than me its a bull barrel 5 or 6 nothing fancy.
Similar to above Ive also just added a cmore railway red dot as one came with my tanfoglio (eea) but on it i went back to iron sights.

But I can get the 10 paclite barrel but its the same cost as what I paid for the gun $500au ($400us) Im already pushing the limits of what I can own here. Otherwise Id just buy tacsols full gun with 10 barrel.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:49 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you are wanting a 10" barreled gun, then its a perfect choice. Much easier than finding an old 10" MKII for a decent price. The TacSol barrel is pretty accurate, and the extended sight radius will be pretty neat. Plus, it will still weigh less than the factory receiver/barrel. I've got a 7.5" on a Buckmark with a Tacsol comp that pushes it out to at least 9" to look at, and that gun is a featherweight. I think my 4.5" Tacsol Pac-Lite upper weighs like 6oz.

And of course, you still have the ability to switch out to your factory receiver whenever you want.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:47 AM
highflyerbill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22 rf guns are very ammo sensitive , I have a S$W M41 that loves Aguila SV that I pay 2.19 per 50 rds , It shoots .5 to .75 in. groups at 50 yrds from a Ransom rest. SK sv also shoots very well if not just a bit better . You have to test to find out what the gun likes and dislikes . My practice ammo is now Aguila and comp is SK standard plus . I also have a Hammerli x-esse I only tested a few boxes of ammo and so far it really likes SK pistole match.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:03 AM
CardPuncher

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I have an 8" Tac Sol barrel on a MKIII and the only thing I'd like better is 10". I shoot silhouettes (targets between 40 and 100 yards) and use iron sights so the sight radius is important. My 8" barrel is 9 ounces lighter than the tapered 6 7/8" barrel it replaced, and for me that's also iimportant.

If you don't want iron sights then I'm not sure you'd get much out of it that you wouldn't get from a more convenient size.

One thing to consider is that ammo velocities will be significantly higher than from say 5". High velocity ammo (1250 fps or so in a rifle) will always or almost always be supersonic.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:54 PM
agksimon
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My MKIV, 22/45 Target, with VQ trigger kit, will shoot one ragged hole, 25 yard groups, with Mini-Mags, off a bench. Can't get any better than that.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:14 PM
NoSecondBest

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by agksimon View Post
My MKIV, 22/45 Target, with VQ trigger kit, will shoot one ragged hole, 25 yard groups, with Mini-Mags, off a bench. Can't get any better than that.
Bingo! My point exactly.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:58 PM
CardPuncher

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
My best group with the 8-inch Tactical Solutions barrel on my MKIII was 6 1/4", but that's 10 rounds at 75 yards, 2 hands with no other support, iron sights and very old eyes with cataracts. It's a fine barrel.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:45 PM
NoSecondBest

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Back in the early and mid 80's I owned three Buckmark Silhouette pistols at one time. All were 10" bbls for use in the Production Auto class. Back then no aftermarket anything on the gun....pure stock. All three of those guns would shoot one ragged hole at 25 yards off sand bags with a scope on the gun (scope only used to find best ammo). At our Regional shoot I shot one of those guns at shootoff targets at 100 yards. They used NRA rifle chickens for shoot off. Any idea of how small they are? They're very, very small targets. I missed the first chicken and made a very minute adjustment to my Merit aperture and shot and cleaned the next nine targets. That was with a factory stock gun and a ten inch barrel. I only got seven shootoff targets with my Anschutz Exemplar with BoMar sights (that was the second most shootoff targets at that shoot). Aftermarket isn't always better. Lots of times it's no better. Later on I used all three of those guns with the barrels cut down to six inches to shoot steel plates in Sportsman's Team Challenge matches. I shot those guns well enough to place or win at every shoot....against very high end and heavily customized handguns. FWIW, none of those Buckmarks had any Haggis flips or anything done to the triggers.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:53 AM
Howler
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSecondBest View Post
You may be surprise to keep a open mind on alot of things! Closed minded people like you (or most likely very inexperienced) doesn't have a clue..

As far as the commen after market barrels. They are like factory barrels, mass produced! and tooling being as expensive as it is, likely not changed often. It only makes since "to me" to buy a good after market barrel (Shilen-Pac-nor) with a match chamber.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:20 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros21 View Post
Im looking at 10 tac sol barrel for my mk3 stainless mainly cause I can. Its overkill and just is used only for paper punching.
Wirthwein guns now taking orders for 8 and 10 TacSol barrels.