Mauser 22 Nearly Complete - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:06 PM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
I made an escutheon that utilizes the original slotted screw, but, as I explained in the probably-too-long verbiage, I use this socket head bolt for the many times it will be disassembled before it is complete and ready for final assembly.
TBR
Makes perfect sense .

By the way, I like H44, but for the price, I could easily live with BR154 (almost typed BR549)!
Old 01-08-2010, 04:13 PM
riflesmithy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In the $300 give or take range go with the h17. Classic grain structure for a classic lined rifle

Then I might just spring for the br154. The rifting in the top of the right side of the butt should "thin out" to a more quater sawn look but YMMV

smithy
Old 01-08-2010, 05:40 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Smithy,
It was that slab-sawn look of BR 154 that turned me off to it. If H-44 finished up looking more like the left side, I would prefer it, but if it finishes closer to the right side, H-17 is a better choice. Bottom line, I think H-17 is less of a risk.

BTW, what is this medical bills thing? Are you having health problems?

TBR
Old 01-08-2010, 07:02 PM
riflesmithy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just all the incidentals that go with having the knees replaced (two in one year).
Paid the deductible ($3800) on the latest overhaul, should get a refund from Blue Cross in about 90 days or so Prescriptions etc.

On doctors recommendation I disposed of all old footwear and went out and bought three pairs of shoes and a new pair of boots. Old wear patterns might cause problems on the new front-end alignment

Go with H17, particularly for a Win 52 project

smithy
Old 01-08-2010, 08:42 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Sorry to hear about your health issues. So...you're changing out the old unevenly worn tires for a set of new ones because of a new front-end alignment. Do you rotate the new shoes every 5000 miles?

I agree about the blank. It is so easy to look at the blank as a whole and consider some of the beautiful marbling here and there, but, when it's all said and done, most of the wood will not be in the stock, so, especially with a slender stock, choosing a blank with the tighter and more dense streaking will be best. H-17 it is!
BTW, in your experience, is this outfit trustworthy?
TBR
Old 01-08-2010, 09:04 PM
riflesmithy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TBR,

I have only ordered from Old Tree twice. First time about four years ago the last about two years ago. These were for customers wanting something nicer than I could find locally. Got reasonably fast service and received the wood as ordered.
I have nothing to complain about in my dealings with them. I will no doubt use them in the future when need/desire arises. But as in anything YMMV.

smithy