10/22 Takedown Target accuracy issues - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:23 AM
r_olsen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

After shooting a couple of hundred rounds, I can safely say it works better. Tighter grouping, works with bipod and resting it with the sling. Now it's shoots the way I thought it should before i bought it. I've mounted a red dot I had laying around, because there might be an issue with my cheap Hubertus scope, so there's that... I might have to apologize to Ruger for seeding mistrust about their takedowns...
Old 08-28-2016, 07:26 PM
Sarge45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just took my 2016 TD carbine with flash hider and bedded the receiver area with aluminum tape at all contact points. The receiver is now a tight fit, especially front to back.

I torqued the receiver screw to 20 in/lb. Then I removed barrel assy from the front stock and used small washers between the barrel pillar and the stock to raise the barrel away from the stock just enough to clear the the front where it exerts the most pressure (aside from the pillar block). The barrel is essentially now free floated. I installed the fore end screw back in with 20 in/lb. I left off the barrel band and tested for accuracy.

My POI shifted dramatically at 25 yards, shooting high and right. When I dialed it back down with the scope, my groups were half what they were and I'm shooting .25" at 25 yards with Federal Bulk Pack. You should definitely try these mods.

Last edited by Sarge45; 08-28-2016 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Actual torque was 20 in/lb each, not 25.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:54 PM
Tautog166

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I also was not happy with the accuracy of my Takedown with Tac Sol barrel and hogue stock.

I had a birch carbine stock laying around. I opened up had barrel channel. Then pillar bedded the action, cut out the areas for the takedown mechanism. Put a pillar to lock the barrel to the stock, and then used jb weld to bed the takedown mechanism to the cutout area in the stock.

What an improvement in accuracy!
Old 10-06-2016, 04:18 PM
r_olsen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice to hear more people are improving their accuracy! I havent measured lately, but at 25 yards Eley subs makes just one hole. SK Standard plus and CCI std is also a good ammo. For hunting I use Minimags HP, good accuracy but the occational flyer. For some reason my 10/22 seem to favor "slow" ammo.

I have kept my TD in a nonTD configuration, as accuracy is most important to me. Ammo was the next step.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:14 AM
rds95991

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know this an old thread, but instead of freefloating the barrel, would securing at the end of the forearm work? The Ruger has an alloy receiver and the weight of the heavy barrel might put a lot of stress on the receiver. Anecdotally I've heard of receivers cracking over time.

I am trying to get Ruger to get back to me but as soon as I mention free floating a heavy barrel they seem hesitant to reply.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:29 AM
r_olsen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think thats a great idea, barrel droop seems to be an issue as far as I've read. I'll keep mine as is for now and start a new build if things does not work out. Mine works excellent now, and it's only a .22 (sorry for swearing) so I think the shooter and ammo is as important as the rig itself.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:43 AM
Kevin BC
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Iím not sure why, but I have no accuracy issues with the 1022 TD. Iím shootings CCI Mini HV 38gr bullets with quarter size groups at 50 yards.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:09 AM
r_olsen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From what I've read since this post was posted, some are shooters and some are not. I've gotten mine slightly more accurate. You should be happy you got one of the good ones