Refinish my own 52C stock - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-21-2020, 12:47 PM
chicks2111

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Refinish my own 52C stock

OK I have not found any professional interested in taking this on, so here I go. Now I'm just hoping someone can steer me to a reference book, article, forum piece or other source so I can enlighten myself on a total refinish of my stock. Not too interested in a Tru Oil finish. Pointers appreciated.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:16 PM
Flintlock28
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicks2111 View Post
OK I have not found any professional interested in taking this on, so here I go. Now I'm just hoping someone can steer me to a reference book, article, forum piece or other source so I can enlighten myself on a total refinish of my stock. Not too interested in a Tru Oil finish. Pointers appreciated.
Stay away from that silly Tru-oil.....use Dyes, along with Lacquer, to give you the easiest, nicest finish for your rifle. There was a man on this site, that passed away. he went by "noremf"as his screen name. Do a search for any of his articles. He was an amazing woodworker, and even redid I believe a desk for Thomas Jefferson, commissioned by a Museum. George also used to work for Sherwin Williams, and other coating companies.

Anyway, I used Tru-oil, and it worked well for me, than noremf showed me the Golden path of using Dyes, along with Lacquer, for a nicer, easier finish. Read anything He posted on refinishing a stock.

Good luck.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:19 PM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=520722
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2020, 03:23 PM
chicks2111

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Wow

Thanks, that oughta' keep me busy for a couple years!
Old 09-21-2020, 03:36 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had good luck with Minwax wipe on poly both in satin and gloss.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:53 PM
Baltimoreed11754

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Refinished my 1924 Pre A slow-lock with birchwood caseys red walnut military stain and truoil, repaired some damage and recut the sanded grasping grooves. I like the way it turned out. Good luck on your refinish, please post pictures when you’re done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B3F22B02-806B-47B0-9F8C-FEEC66286574.jpeg (320.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpeg 87BF3500-A417-4F08-A01B-394F217CD8DC.jpeg (351.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 09-21-2020, 07:56 PM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicks2111 View Post
Thanks, that oughta' keep me busy for a couple years!
Don't be intimidated, I've refinished about 9 stocks, and most of the time, you'll have little problems.

Here's some rules:

1) Nothing shows the beauty of Wood like Shellac; but Shellac doesn't do well with wear..i.e great for a jewelry box or something that isn't handled much, but not firearms, where you get sweat, dirt, abrasion, etc.

2) Next best thing for showing Wood's beauty....Lacquer, which is derived from the Lac insect, just like Shellac is.

3) Most stocks, just need very light sanding, and occasionally you can put a wet towel over dents, and apply a Clothes iron to the towel, on top of the Wood. this causes the Wood to swell, and out comes the dent....not always 100%, but I've gotten rid of a lot of dents this way.

4) After sanding, you can test what the color will look like, with Lacquer applied, by rubbing Mineral Spirits on the Wood, this will give you a couple minutes or so, to see what the Lacquer will look like. After a couple of minutes, the Mineral Spirits will start to dry, and the wood turns back to it's color, without Mineral spirits.

5) if the color is fine, you can spray Lacquer over the sanded Wood. If the color isn't what you want, you can use Dyes, that work better and deeper than stains, before you apply lacquer.

Here's an Winchester model 1873, i used Dye, and Lacquer on...

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1203725

good luck
Old 09-22-2020, 05:13 PM
cleanprone
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
"Winchester red"

Just a suggestion, lots of good advice above. Look in the muzzleloading forums, particularly the "American Longrifle" forum. A large amount of their content is about longrifle stock making AND FINISHING. They also discuss traditional techniques which relate to the Winchester processes. There is a huge amount of information to be found, plus some products and techniques which are almost exclusive to the muzzleloading community. Lots of your trial/mistakes can be reversed, example- a too glossy (Tru-Oil) type finish may be cut back with 0000 steel wool. The "Herters red" finish is close to the original early Winchesters and somebody is reproducing it, I got a close match by blending Homer Dangler brown and red stains, diluted and used on scrap woods to find a close match, then the Minwax wipe on poly cut back with rottenstone.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:46 PM
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Two words......Tung Oil......requires some elbow grease, but the end result is beautiful.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:13 PM
sweetmk
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
Two words......Tung Oil......requires some elbow grease, but the end result is beautiful.
AND, there are many terms,, WOW,,
Tung oil is a pressed seed oil,,
Linseed oil is a pressed seed oil, of the flax seed,,
There is regular linseed oil, then there is "boiled linseed oil" or BLO,,

An elderly neighbor died, his wife gave me his woodworking stuff,,
among the finishes is,, WAIT FOR IT,,,!

Refined linseed oil,,
Now, what in the heck is that!!??

I put the refined linseed oil on a new ash axe handle that I bought at a flea market for $2.
Other than cutting down a tree, you can not get a much cheaper piece of wood, than a $2 axe handle.

That axe handle is so nice, I would be proud to have the finish on any gun that I owned.

Is there a lot to learn, or what!?
I sanded that axe handle with a 4" Makita 60 grit belt sander, then 240 and 320 grit on a random orbital sander, then hand sanded with 600 grit paper,,

Who would guess that a 4", 60 grit, belt sander could be used near anything that could be considered nice!!?