Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

average age of M. owners

20K views 141 replies 99 participants last post by  Engineer1911 
#1 ·
I wonder what the average age of Martini owners is. I doubt if many are under 50 which might explain the lack of activity here. Geezers know better than to go out shooting in the cold. All we can do is conger up weird ideas such as small action .410

#30 ·
69 years old.

Within the past 8 years, I have owned five different Martinis, a 12/15, a Vickers, a Cadet (219 Bee), an International MK II and a custom built 22 based on a large frame action.

Because I am currently more interested in small bore varmint rifles, I recently sold my last Martini. While I once was very active on this sub-forum, I now have little to ad to what I already said. I hate to repeat myself so you will hear much less from me in the future.

#89 ·
69 years old.

Within the past 8 years, I have owned five different Martinis, a 12/15, a Vickers, a Cadet (219 Bee), an International MK II and a custom built 22 based on a large frame action.

Because I am currently more interested in small bore varmint rifles, I recently sold my last

Martini. While I once was very active on this sub-forum, I now have little to ad to what I already said. I hate to repeat myself so you will hear much less from me in the future.
Onearm, that last pic looks like my Westly Richards. I just found a beautiful Lyman Targrtspot for $100 that looks great on it. At pushing 70 it's one of my favorite woods walking gun

#38 ·
I'm 47. I received my International MK1 around three months ago. A fellow Benchrest shooter decided he wanted me to have his left handed Martini. So he sold it to me for what he paid for it. He bought it in the sixties and won many competitions with it. Unfortunately, some years ago he lost his left eye and had a difficult time shooting it right handed. I think he waited for years for a younger lefty to pass the gun on to. He asked only that I shoot it and use it as was intended. It is set up with a 20X Lyman scope and the PH25AL Paker Hale Sights. I've shot it twice in matches taking second place the last time out. (750/750 57X). I'll continue shooting it in every match until I win. My personal best is (750/750 65X) with my 52C. I was humbled by his generosity and feel honor bound to have him see his gun win once again.

Merry Christmas
Steve

#40 · (Edited)
I like shooting in the cold weather. There are less people at the range so target changes are faster. Just have to keep the trigger finger protected and wear warm boots and a hat. I sit on another coat or a wool felt 'blanket' made from the wool carpet underlay. Works great.

It was 10 below yesterday, and I was NOT out shooting. My only concern is being able to get out of the range driveway.:eek:

Part of my collection, some I added later and a few I loaned out.

#45 ·
A 65 year old Martini owner from the Land Downunder. I first encountered a Martini in 1972, it was a 310. I couldn't believe how light and compact the rifle was. I purchased my first Martini in 1974 a 222 Rimmed. I still have the rifle. Just on two years ago I bought a Int'l MK II which has a free floating barrel. These are the only Martini's I possess, both treasured and well looked after.

#46 ·
i have a few - im 66/67 , not sure what that does to your 'average' i bought my firsst about 10 years ago , and im looking to buy another this year , if that makes a difference , not all are 22s tho , some are military issue and one is a custom 12ga trap gun , the one im looking for is a 22 cal tho ,

#49 ·
Martini Age

I'm 72 and have two , one, a model 12 being built into a L.H. sillouette rifle and the other is a Model 8 take down with cocking indicator and a beach type foresight . The butt stock is fashioned from French walnut and all pieces are stamped with the Canadian broad arrow , Maybe and officers rifle ?

#51 ·
I'm 72 and have two , one, a model 12 being built into a L.H. sillouette rifle and the other is a Model 8 take down with cocking indicator and a beach type foresight . The butt stock is fashioned from French walnut and all pieces are stamped with the Canadian broad arrow , Maybe and officers rifle ?
I think you may have a #8 that was originally a Cadet training rifle. :bthumb::)

#50 ·
Hello Rimmed,
I also have 2 off MkII's which are free floating. I understand that an old European gunsmith living in the New England area built a number of these. Do you have any information on this gunsmith, as I have tried to get some info on him.

Kind Regards,
Rowarn.

#53 ·
Hello Rowarn

Just read your post. My search for the name of the gunsmith of my MK II was somewhat drawn out. It began by locating Norman Rule who represented Australia in the 1956 Melbourne Olympics. My enquiry was passed on to an Adelaide Smallbore Club. They put me onto a Jack Astley in Sydney who recond that my conversion was like his MK II a "Lutz" conversion.

My next contact was George Dutka from the Northcote Rifle Club in Victoria. He gave me the name of Norm Lutz Jr. Norm Lutz Jr was able to confirm his father Norm Lutz Snr was the gunsmith.

I hope this has been some help Rowarn.
Regards
Tony

#54 ·
Hello Rimmed,
Thanks a lot for this info. I have 10 of the various International models, and the 2 free floating MKII's are the second and third best shooters. The best is an international III with a heavy Broughton barrel. This MkIII can outshoot my Stiller 2500X and Anschutz 54.30 actioned heavy bench rest guns.
Once again thanks for your assistance.

Kind Regards,
Rowarn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.