Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Another Trailside Question

694 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  LDBennett 
#1 · (Edited)
Just bought one. (4.5") Always wanted one just to try. I think it was a good deal for $400.

All the paperwork in the box is dated 2001, 3 mags, has the adjustable rear target sight mounted, the useless fixed rear sight in a bag with the allen wrench, and the test target is pretty close to a dime size group.

Does anyone have a picture of how the trigger guard should look like when it's correct in the frame?

Fair price paid?

Thanks

#2 ·
I'd say that's a good price. I paid more than that for the used one I bought in 2008, which came with box, papers, one extra mag, and that oh-so-humbling factory 25m target disk medallion. No pics from me, but LD Bennet may have some, or do a search on this forum for other Trailside posts. My trigger guard does not fit flush with the frame when closed (close but not flush), and it shows no crack and has not given me any trouble since I bought it. However, I did pick up a spare - just in case - from Larry's Guns.

You should enjoy shooting it. How many rounds have you put through it so far?

#6 ·
You have to look inside the gun to be sure the rear vertical leg on the trigger guard is touching the framed behind it. If the trigger guard front horizontal leg touches the bottom of the frame then it is pretty sure that it is stopping the upward trigger guard movement rather than the rear vertical leg.The rear vertical leg must be the stop, not the front horizontal leg or any other part of the trigger guard.

If you are still confused let me know and I'll dig my Trailside out of the safe and refresh my memory as to how to observe that rear vertical leg's position in relation to the frame behind it.

If the gun is newer it MAY not have the problem at all. Mine was from the first batch delivered to my local dealer in the first year of manufacture.

LDBennett

#8 ·
Again, the rear vertical leg MUST be supported by the frame behind it. Failure to have that situation MAY eventually cause the guard to break. Maybe the newest guards are stronger but I have no idea if that is true (???). The guard can be a bit loose in its travel but when fully closed and pushed up, the trigger guard vertical leg MUST rest against the frame behind it. Remember the bolt will bang into the trigger guard vertical leg in recoil. Unsupported the guard may break.

You have to determine exactly what is stoping the upward travel of the trigger guard. It MUST be the vertical trigger guard leg touching the frame behind it.

Of course you can take the risk and do nothing...your choice. At one point in the early days of the Trailside there were no replacement trigger guards. Does the current Hammerli trigger guard fit??? I don't know. Larrys Guns would know.

In short, a gap, no mater how small, leaves the trigger guard rear vertical leg unsupported to some degree. It is a casting (steel not aluminum as once reported here). Castings are notoriously subject to fracture in cases like this, more so than a billet machined part or a forged part.

LDBennett

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.