Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Why does CZ

3K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  fourbore 
#1 ·
Why do they serialize barrels?

#6 ·
I have (2) CZ 455 Varmint’s that have different serial numbers on the barrels. One is a Varmint Thumbhole the other is a Varmint Evolution Coyote. . . Both have fluted barrels. :heartpump :heartpump All the rest of my 452, 453, 455, 457, & 512’s have matching serial numbers. :) :D :bthumb: :t

I’m guessing those who bought the 455/457 Americans with combo barrel sets would also not have the same serial numbers (at least on one of the barrels). ;)

#7 ·
I have (2) CZ 455 Varmint's that have different serial numbers on the barrels. One is a Varmint Thumbhole the other is a Varmint Evolution Coyote. . . Both have fluted barrels. :heartpump :heartpump All the rest of my 452, 453, 455, 457, & 512's have matching serial numbers. :) :D :bthumb: :t

I'm guessing those who bought the 455/457 Americans with combo barrel sets would also not have the same serial numbers (at least on one of the barrels). ;)
The combos, have the same serial #s on the barrels , but one has a suffix A.

#9 ·
I recall reading at one time that some countries (I think South Africa might be one) require serialized barrels, that the barrel is the part that is tracked by whatever registration system they employ.

No idea if that has anything to do with why CZ does so.

Other makers do similar. First example that leaps to mind is my Walther Q5 9mm pistol. It has a serialized barrel, number matches the frame. Reckon if I scoured through the safe I'd find other examples.

#10 ·
It's a European requirement whereas the barrel is often considered a part of the firearm (vs. here in the US where it's the frame or receiver alone that's considered the "firearm"), e.g., Glock does the same thing in an effort to "...comply with any existing or anticipated laws."

#13 ·
My one and only 455 came with a barrel number that did not match. I am certain this was a legit brand new American. The number was not something in the usual sequence and my suspicion is this got replaced in the QC process. I would have to find that barrel and look, it was something like A0000123.

#19 ·
Dont forget headspace could be off or less optimum on a replacement barrel or one from another gun. I think it is very useful for an owner of multiple 455/7 to have the barrel serialized. Some older guns, German and Swedish Mausers for example, have numbers on almost every part, lock stock and barrel.

I would not assume CZ is legally required of forced. They might just be doing a good thing because they are a good company. Wild idea, it could be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.