10/22 TD Lightweight Budget Build - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:49 PM
Sinkhole

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
10/22 TD Lightweight Budget Build

Hello all. I recently picked up a 10/22 TD with the intentions of building a budget friendly lightweight backpacking/camping/survival gun. I opted for the blued 16" model with threaded barrel as running a suppressor is a likely option, I am not sure if I will change the barrel out anytime soon, and minute of squirrel accuracy is all I need. It's currently wearing a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 scope on Leupold rifleman rings. I am going at this with 2 main requirements 1) reliability and 2) light weight. I have decided to build this on the new Magpul X-22 Backpacker stock, as I like the way it stows and love the in stock storage. I will also be using the Magpul X-22 Backpacker optic mount and most likely be topping that with a Vortex Venom 3MOA red dot sight and my eyes aren't quite what they used to be, and I'd like to lose the weight of the scope. I have already ordered KIDD auto bolt release, and buffer. I plan on using a BX trigger group as it's inexpensive and suits my needs, this is not a precision rifle, and I like the one in my dad's rifle.
So.... on to the rest, and here is where I am asking for some advice, as I've been out of the 10/22 game for about 10 years now. Is it necessary to do the extractor and firing pin upgrade? Will I see a large improvement in reliability with either? Also what other things should I consider to help optimize the reliability. What are your thoughts on this build? Thanks for any advise or recommendation in advance.

Last edited by Sinkhole; 03-30-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:18 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
At a minimum I would do the extractor, and firing pin.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:51 AM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I like everything you propose to do except so sure about the stock. It looks like with the barrel nested it would take up more space the the 2 separate pieces of the original stock. I'd wait for it to be on the street for a while before buying. I'd also like to see what it weighs.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:59 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
+1 upgrade the extractor and the firing pin, also you might want to have it pinned to get consistent strikes. IMO those are the most important upgrades to make when it comes to strictly reliability.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:02 AM
Raghorn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
On the firing pin and extractor, I would put a thousand rounds through it first.
You may find the gun perfectly reliable as is.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:46 AM
Sinkhole

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I went out today and picked up 3 more BX-1 magazines, a BX-Trigger group, again it's affordable at $70 and is plenty good enough for my needs. I also bit the bullet and picked up a Vortex Venom 3 MOA red dot. I just got thinking about weight and it seemed to be the right way to go. Right now it is sitting on the OEM Ruger mount. Now I just have to wait for the other parts to arrive. Mainly the stock.

For those interested in the cost of this build I am going to compile the pricing as if I was starting from zero. I will not include the Redfield scope or other BX-1 magazines I already own.
All prices are round up to the nearest dollar.
  • Ruger 10/22 Take Down model 11112 - $370
  • Ruger BX-Trigger - $70
  • Ruger BX-1 Magazine $20 ea. (x3) - $60
  • Vortex Venom 3 MOA red dot - $230
  • Magpul X-22 Backpacker stock - $105
  • Magpul X-22 Backpacker Optic Mount - $57
  • KIDD Innovative Design Buffer - $6
  • KIDD Innovative Design Auto Bolt Release - $11
  • KIDD Innovative Design Extractor - $11
  • KIDD Innovative Design Firing Pin - $24
  • KIDD Innovative Design Bolt Handle w/Guide Rod & Springs - $30

This is a grand total of $744 with out optics and $974 with the red dot.

I am also giving myself about another $100 in the budget as might want to add a few little things.
I am considering a T3 magazine release and maybe an EGW picatinny optics mount.

Last edited by Sinkhole; 04-07-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:55 PM
Sinkhole

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So my parts from KIDD Innovative Design arrived today and are now installed. The rifle is almost complete, all I am waiting on is the Magpul X-22 Backpacker Stock and Optics Mount to ship. I originally Pre-Ordered the Stock in Wolf Grey but now and having second thoughts and I'm considering calling and changing my order to FDE.

What color would you choose FDE or Wolf Grey?
Old 04-13-2017, 08:28 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinkhole View Post
So my parts from KIDD Innovative Design arrived today and are now installed. The rifle is almost complete, all I am waiting on is the Magpul X-22 Backpacker Stock and Optics Mount to ship. I originally Pre-Ordered the Stock in Wolf Grey but now and having second thoughts and I'm considering calling and changing my order to FDE.

What color would you choose FDE or Wolf Grey?
I personally prefer the FDE with black but I've never had one in grey. In the end all that matters is what you like the best.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Well I went out today and picked up 3 more BX-1 magazines, a BX-Trigger group, again it's affordable at $70 and is plenty good enough for my needs. I also bit the bullet and picked up a Vortex Venom 3 MOA red dot. I just got thinking about weight and it seemed to be the right way to go. Right now it is sitting on the OEM Ruger mount. Now I just have to wait for the other parts to arrive. Mainly the stock.

For those interested in the cost of this build I am going to compile the pricing as if I was starting from zero. I will not include the Redfield scope or other BX-1 magazines I already own.
All prices are round up to the nearest dollar.
  • Ruger 10/22 Take Down model 11112 - $370
    Ruger BX-Trigger - $70
    Ruger BX-1 Magazine $20 ea. (x3) - $60
    Vortex Venom 3 MOA red dot - $230
    Magpul X-22 Backpacker stock - $105
    Magpul X-22 Backpacker Optic Mount - $57
    KIDD Innovative Design Buffer - $6
    KIDD Innovative Design Auto Bolt Release - $11
    KIDD Innovative Design Extractor - $11
    KIDD Innovative Design Firing Pin - $24
    KIDD Innovative Design Bolt Handle w/Guide Rod & Springs - $30

This is a grand total of $744 with out optics and $974 with the red dot.

I am also giving myself about another $100 in the budget as might want to add a few little things.
I am considering a T3 magazine release and maybe an EGW picatinny optics mount.

Just looking at your list of items/prices. You could of saved at least $170 by shopping around for some of the items. Doesn't really matter now as long as your happy with it, just figured I'd let you know.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:19 AM
Sinkhole

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
Just looking at your list of items/prices. You could of saved at least $170 by shopping around for some of the items. Doesn't really matter now as long as your happy with it, just figured I'd let you know.
I understand that. However I feel better spending a little more and supporting a small local business when ever possible, rather than ordering everything online for the lowest absolute price.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:29 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I understand that. However I feel better spending a little more and supporting a small local business when ever possible, rather than ordering everything online for the lowest absolute price.

Fair enough, and you didn't actually over pay for anything so all in all you did pretty good.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:13 PM
WesternLR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So any word on how you liked the stock? How'd it compare with the OEM stock or the Magpul Hunter? Curious to hear any impressions so far.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:26 AM
Resasi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think that you will have ended up with a rather nice little rifle. Compact and with most of the little items that improve it. Very similar to the one my son and I did, and which we are delighted with.

We opted for the Holosun red dot, and are now about to add the new Holsun x3 Magnifier. My groups were getting a tad ragged at 100yds and I reckoned my eyes could do with a little assistance
Old 03-05-2019, 12:19 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was not too happy with my Takedown until I put it in the Backpacker stock. Big increase in accuracy. I tried the Venom but opted for a scope since red dots dont work too well if something happens to my glasses. Astigmatism. I can adjust the diopter on the scope to compensate. I went with a Leupold VX Freedom 1.5-4X20 in low Weaver quad rings on a grooved pic rail. The groove lets me see the irons if I have to remove the scope. The irons are a Skinner set made for the Takedown and the rear peep fits in the barrel dovetail. I cant do open sights very well anymore. Mine will fit in the bag with the scope mounted. Also fits very nicely in my day pack. The scope only weighs about 8 oz and no batteries to worry about. I picked up a set of inserts and QD sling loops on Amazon for a lot less than Magpul. You will need to supply your own screws.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:35 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Check out S&P Outfitters for some of your parts. RFC coupon code for 5% off. Right now the have the Backpacker on sale for $75. $6 flat rate ship. Check their trigger prices too.
https://sapoutfitters.com/
I got my scope from Optics Planet. $200 shipped but I had a 10% coupon so it was $180.