End of the line for the Leupold VX3 6.5-20X40mm EFR - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:43 PM
frankmako
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

if you want the best scope made for smallbore rifle silhouette shooting you need to find a steel tube el paso weaver t-16. back in the 80's the t-16 was the gold standard.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:56 PM
oregon45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If anyone is looking for one of these scopes, I have one for sale in the classifieds.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...o=ad&id=108609
Old 06-05-2016, 08:07 PM
ohlongarm

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The Sightron big sky 6x24 will outperform any scope mentioned here,you would have to spend $1500 to 2500 to get a scope its equal,I learned the hard way,urinating away money on the big dollar scopes that mostly get sold due to their famous names.You all know who they are.My S1 Sightron hunter series blows a Leupy 6x18x42 out of the water three fold go figure.My Zeiss conquest can't even compete with Sightrons cheapest S1 hunter,sold the Zeiss in Mt Airy North Carolina over the weekend at the Mt Airy fiddlers convention.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:59 PM
Shooter4
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodaddy View Post
Too bad Sightron discontinued the silhouette version. I liked it as well.

I've always thought Weaver should make a more silhouette apt scope and would dominate the market. acorneau puts the specs perfect.

Is the VX-3i 6.5-20 a bad option for those that are wanting Leupold? I thought it was going to be somewhat of a replacement/improvement for the EFR.

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoo...us-cds-target/

So this is the replacement for the Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm EFR Target Rifle Scope (Air Rifle) with Target Dot Reticle??? (Adjust down to 10m/30 yards.)
I talked to Leupold last year and they said mid year this year they were replacing the discontinued scope? So it's not happening?
Old 07-01-2016, 04:17 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is the new EFR Target model. Note that it's a VX3i.

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoo...fr-cds-target/

Available here, and suprise it's both improved and less money than the previous version.

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/leu-170...FYVrfgodIMECeQ

You can have Leupold install the target dot of your chioce for $70.00.
I was told that the new lower pricing reflects the limited model choice. So I can live with that decision.

Takes about 2-3 weeks for them to turn around the scope.
You pay shipping to them and they pay for the shipping back to you.
This info and pricing is 6 months old.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 07-01-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:32 PM
jat4
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
This is the new EFR Target model. Note that it's a VX3i.

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoo...fr-cds-target/

Available here, and suprise it's both improved and less money than the previous version.

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/leu-170...FYVrfgodIMECeQ

You can have Leupold install the target dot of your chioce for $70.00.
I was told that the new lower pricing reflects the limited model choice. So I can live with that decision.

Takes about 2-3 weeks for them to turn around the scope.
You pay shipping to them and they pay for the shipping back to you.
This info and pricing is 6 months old.

Smooth
Champion Shooter Supply is offering this scope with the target dot already installed by the custom shop for $725. They've already sold out their stock so it may be a bit of a wait for them to get some more.

http://www.championshooters.com/inde...146&Itemid=111
Old 07-01-2018, 10:19 AM
Twowheeler
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the Leupold VX-III EFR 6.5-20x 40mm Adjustable Objective for parallax and im getting ready to send it in for repair next week....

When turning the objective lens to adjust the parallax the numbers dont turn with the lens....
It should be under warranty.... It will still adjust by sight though it just would be faster if the yardage number would line up with the parallax mark...
Old 07-01-2018, 10:44 AM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
100% covered under their lifetime, any owner, any issue warranty.

Just hand fill out the warranty request found on their website, and mail it in.
No need to call them.

They will repair it in your case (in some cases, not your's, they will replace it).
They do not send you any notification when it's shipped back. So keep an eye out for it. Usually takes 3 weeks.

Our range just sent in a 30X fixed power scope that has been mounted to a pole under cover, by still outside, for the last 42yrs due to fogged lenses
2 weeks later a brand new 15-30x scope arrived with a note stating the old one could not be brought back to its original condition.
Just 1 more story about how great Leupolds warranty service is.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 07-01-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:52 AM
Twowheeler
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smooth....

Thanks for the info....
I will check their website and proceed...
My scope is about 9 years old now...
Had it mounted on a 22 Savage 54 Sporter for years
Old 07-02-2018, 08:05 AM
Triggershoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twowheeler View Post
I have the Leupold VX-III EFR 6.5-20x 40mm Adjustable Objective for parallax and im getting ready to send it in for repair next week....

When turning the objective lens to adjust the parallax the numbers dont turn with the lens....
It should be under warranty.... It will still adjust by sight though it just would be faster if the yardage number would line up with the parallax mark...
Twowheeler---I'm in the same boat regarding the yardage markings not lining up with my VX3 6.5-20 EFR. They are WAY "off". Does anyone know the specific reason this occurs? Just curious, it's more of a nuisance than a problem. For now, like TW does, I just visually adjust the parallax as required. All of us "fine tune" the parallax adjustment anyway. However, this process would be somewhat quicker if the yardage markings properly line up. They DID when the scope was new, so just wondering (from a technical/mechanical standpoint) what has occurred to cause this issue? I have never "ham-fisted" the adjustment ring, so what's going on with the scope's internals? Again, just curious... the scope works just fine in terms of "on target" performance once adjusted, so probably won't send it in for repair.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:49 AM
Wiley Coyote

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have yet to own any scope that the parallax graduations were even remotely close to the actual yardage. I've managed to scratch a fine mark on the ring to line up with the index mark to indicate where it is at my 35 yard ZERO for the .22 LR. On Centerfire I've left them as is and just try to remember where it is for the 100/200 yard ZERO.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:52 PM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
The VX-3 6.5X20 40mm is paired with a set of Burris Signature rings setting on an Anschutz Silhouette 64 with Harrell tuner. Mixed emotions about this scope. Love those target knobs and precise adjustments. The 20X is almost enough for USBR. I get questions about selling it often at the range. Yes, it is not for sale. Put it in the long box, I'm taking it with me when I go.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:01 PM
Triggershoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote View Post
I have yet to own any scope that the parallax graduations were even remotely close to the actual yardage. I've managed to scratch a fine mark on the ring to line up with the index mark to indicate where it is at my 35 yard ZERO for the .22 LR. On Centerfire I've left them as is and just try to remember where it is for the 100/200 yard ZERO.
Wiley-- No kidding, Scout's honor, but my VX3 6.5-20 EFR's markings (when new) lined up very closely when focused/parallax set properly. I mean, from 50 to 300 yards (my shortest to longest competition distances that I use this scope), the markings were just about dead-on. At some point along the line, this changed significantly, and is no longer the case. Now, the yardage markings are way, way off. As an example, my last benchrest competition was shot at 200 yards. The markings are indicating about 60 yards now (I just went and looked at it) with the parallax set properly for 200. Just curious if anyone has any comments on just WHAT is to blame for this. Again, it does NOT affect my usage or the utility of the scope. I consider it more of a nuisance than anything else. Leupold has said they will correct it, but they would not tell me the specific reason this occurs.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:59 PM
Topstrap44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Who even looks at those numbers, get lined up on target, move eye up, down, left and right adjusting till reticle sits still and take the shot. Only takes seconds and will be right.

Topstrap
Old 07-04-2018, 06:22 AM
Triggershoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topstrap44 View Post
Who even looks at those numbers, get lined up on target, move eye up, down, left and right adjusting till reticle sits still and take the shot. Only takes seconds and will be right.

Topstrap
Topstrap--- I get it, and that's pretty much what I do (what ALL of us do.) So, you've never even given the parallax markings a cursory look? Say, when going from 50 to 300 yards? As I mentioned, I was simply just curious what has happened to the adjustments (mechanically) to cause the misalignment in the 6.5-20 EFR. That's it. So apparently no one knows the specific answer. That's OK, I'm good with that. Geez...