Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:40 AM
bones0831
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Tuj, nice target! I dont know what a Postal match is, but what range was that target shot at, and is it indoors with iron sights or out to with optics. Im really wanting, and have been for a long time to start doing this, and now have some time do dedicate. Also, this might be a dumb question, but are most of the people shooting SW mod 41 and such highline guns and better? I have a Mark III 22.45 as my starter. Nothing to fancy here. Anyway thanks, I will visit that site.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:57 AM
tuj

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
bones: we are shooting bullseye aka NRA Conventional Pistol. Bullseye is shot one-handed. Indoors, the distance is 50' using the B2 slow-fire and B3 timed-and-rapid-fire targets. Outdoors, bullseye is shot slow-fire at 50 yards and timed-and-rapid-fire at 25 yards.

A Ruger MK series pistol is perfect for starting out. It will be more accurate than you probably. You can start with irons, but most shooters find that a red dot sight improves their scores. I started with a MKII and irons. The target I just posted was shot with a Pardini SP and 1" Ultradot.

If you have any questions on how to get started, just post them up and there are lots of people on this board who can chime in and help you out!

Old 02-10-2014, 09:59 PM
bones0831

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you. I wrote to the NRA, and requested the magazine, and rule book today. I am waiting for a reply. I have been wanting to get involved for years. Now I just have to figure out how to do it, and where.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 12:24 AM
tuj

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
you'll want to get on the bullseye-l mailing list then. All the top shooters are on that list. You can post questions about technique or matches or rules and people will help you out.

As for getting started, just get yourself some SV ammo and order the b2 and b3 targets. There are a number of places that sell the official targets on nice target paper.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:05 PM
bones0831

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Practiced one handed today

The first time I shot a pistol was a about 37 years ago, a Colt New Frontier SA .22 lr, and was taught one handed be father ang grand father, both Army Airborn accustomed to the M1911. That was also probably one of the last times I shot one handed. So I was in for a surprise today when I realized just how difficult it was going to be to be even close to good enough to get into a competition, and be competitive. I had Caldwell 8" bullseye adhesive targets, and started out at 50', and stayed there, despite my plans to move out from there. I wanted to move IN. The only thing I managed to do was keep them all in the 8" target. I had 1 target, my last target of the day, when it was almost dark, with 4 in the 2" bullseye, and 9/10 in a 5" group, the last just outside. That 33 oz pistol sure got heavy, shakey by the 10th shot. Anyway, thanks for your help. if you know of any good online technique refernces, I like to read them, or even a book. I plan to keep on shooting until I get better. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:28 PM
tuj

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Get a 5lb dumbbell and tape a cheap laser pointer to the top of it. Hold it out like your gun in your stance and try to keep the laser dot on an object far away like a doorknob. When you start to shake too much, stop and breath, then repeat. This is a great way to build up your arm strength for shooting bullseye. It only takes a few weeks of doing this for maybe 20 min a day and you'll have the stamina to hold the gun up. Oh yeah, keep your trigger finger off the dumbbell.

Oh another thing, in competition, you never fire more than 5 rounds without a break. So simulate that.

Last edited by tuj; 02-13-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:20 PM
bones0831

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will do just that. I have all the parts. Thank you.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:13 AM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Check out this site.
http://www.bullseyepistol.com/amucover.htm
Old 02-18-2014, 11:52 PM
bones0831

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hushkaboom, thats a great tool. I started on chapter one, and will read it b in detail. Thanks. Also, Old Navy Guy thanks for the file of the rule book. I have plenty of reading material while I do my arm exercises, trying to get rid of this fatigue and tremble after a couple shots. Thanks again.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:06 AM
tuj

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
If you're keeping 9/10 in a 5" group at 50', that's actually a very good start. Remember that we have 2 phases, slow-fire and sustained-fire. Slow-fire you get 10 minutes to make 10 shots; plenty of time. You can even put the gun down or rest it on the bench between shots, lots of shooters do.

In sustained fire, load 5 rounds at a time. Try to develop a rhythm for shooting 5 rounds in 10 seconds. Remember, 10 seconds is a lot of time, relatively speaking. You can take your time with each shot, just space them evenly. I find that helps. Try to find a rhythm on the trigger press that works for you.

Remember, watch the dot/front-sight, wait for the bang. Sounds easy, execution is hard...
Old 02-19-2014, 06:35 AM
bones0831

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did want to ask another question. Those of you that use iron sites, do you use the black sites that came on the gun, or any black sites for that matter. I am used to 3 dot sites, and am slow adjusting to the all black ruger sites, on black targets. Thank you.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:37 AM
tuj

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
if you want more contrast, put some white nail polish on the back of the front sight.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:11 PM
SMBeyer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Change from a center hold (black sights on black target). To a sub-six hold, approximately 1.5-2 inches bellow the black or wherever your mind finds comfortable(black sights on white target) and you will have contrast. You can also smoke your sights by burning some twisted up masking tape and holding the black smoke under the sights. This will give you a very black very dull sight. Yellow lenses can also help with contrast.

You may take some time to get used to a sub-six hold but if you give it a chance it will work.

Scott
Old 02-19-2014, 07:48 PM
crankythunder

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Dear bones................

It looks like you are in good internet hands with my good buddy tuj...

If you could say where you are, we have lots of bullseye shooters in here from across the country and if you posted your location, someone would step up from nearby and invite you to a match.

I personally have one tomorrow in East Lansing, Michigan that you would be more then welcome to come participate in!

If that does not work, my next match is in Ithaca, Michigan on Thursday, a week from tomorrow and you are invited to that one as well. shoot me a pm, we got a spot on the line for you.

And for any other potential bullseye teammates, competitors, and fellow shooters in the mid Michigan area that want to see what bullseye competition is all about, send a pm my way, you will have lotsa fun!

Regards,
Cranky

Regards,
Cranky
Old 02-20-2014, 12:57 PM
bones0831

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Im going to try the sub 6 hold, and see if that helps. I appreciate the invite to the matches, but I need to stay a little closer to home. Cranky, I am about 100 miles NE of Memphis, or 160 West of Nashville. I would drive to W Kentucky, E Arkansas, E Missouri, etc. A 200 mile drive on the outside would be ok. When I reassembled my pistol last, I noticed my front sight was a degree or 2 of cant to the right. I couldn't figure it out, until I read again, and saw that you can can actually rotate right or left a little in reassembly. Bad weather today cant shoot, but got another 500 rounds of ammo in the mail anyway. I need more than 2 mags. Ive gotten slowly thru the first couple sections of the tutorial. Stance and grip I have read thru twice, and practiced both. The grip on my 22/45 non RP, my not be the favorite of my guns. I have to look into something more comfortable, knowing I am limited because of the model I picked. Thanks.

Last edited by bones0831; 02-20-2014 at 07:02 PM.