Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:20 PM
JohnOhio
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
52c blued muzzles and all other 52 crown pics

I noticed a thread about blued barrel muzzle on 52c's asked by ttam. Some of the answers you got are not correct. Any 52c barrel that is rust blued will have a un-blued(shiny) muzzle. Most all the middle 50's guns that had the standard blue including the D's and E's will have the flat and shiny muzzle. The early 52c standardweights with a crown will have the standard blue and a blued crown. Where these gentlemen got it wrong was with the early 52c heavyweights and mostly the 52c bull guns. If they had a dovetail instead of two tapped holes for the front sight and had the standard blue then the muzzle will be blued also and not shiny. One of my 52c bullguns has this feature(serial number 82576c) This is the only 52c I have like this and they are fairly rare. They were probably left over barrel blanks from the late 52B bullguns(The early ones had the sandblast finish and the real late 52B bullguns and heavyweights had the standard blue finish)
Old 06-25-2010, 09:46 PM
TCups
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 1956 (946xxC) Win 52C HB has a blued crown. It has both side hole mounts for Redfield sights as well as the blocks for mounting a scope.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:25 PM
JohnOhio

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I said middle 50's-I probably should have said late 50's before the standard blue 52c's had the shiny unblued muzzles(nobody knows the exact date that the change occured) I have a new in the crate 52c heavyweight(pictured on page 153 of the 52 book) that has the standard blue finish and a un-blued muzzle. This is a very late 52c! The point I was trying to make was that the early dovetailed 52c's that had the standard blue also had the blued muzzles. Your gun is also correct for the era its in. Im glad you showed the pictured because the man who was buying the gun on auction arms thought because it had a blued muzzle then it was wrong.(He said it was a 53 gun so its earlier than yours. I would like to know when the change occured from the standard blued guns going from a blued muzzle to a unblued one. One thing for certain that if its rust blued the muzzle will be unblued as the rust blueing would harm the bore and the standard blue would not!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2010, 10:28 PM
ttam
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
muzzel

John;
This is the muzzel of a 1953 Heavy Barrel 52C,can you tell if its been reblued?

Old 06-25-2010, 10:47 PM
JohnOhio

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I cant tell for sure but it looks pretty good to me. Is your front sight base dovetailed or have two screws on top of the base? Thats why I hate buying guns on the internet -its hard to tell for me unless its in my hands with my high powered glasses. Thats the point I was trying to make though-that your gun could very well be right when these guys were telling you that the muzzles had to be shiny(un-blued) Does the blue on the barrel look right?
Old 06-25-2010, 10:58 PM
ttam
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
John;
The front sight is dovetailed into the barrel and i have two screw holes on the left side of the receiver for a peep sight.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:01 PM
ttam
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
John ;
the blueing on the gun matches all over,for age and coler.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:13 PM
JohnOhio

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

All of the 52c receivers have two holes on the side for the rear peep sight -so their is not a question about that being right. Does the barrel blue look right? All of the early 52c's with the dovetailed front sight like yours-that I have seen has the standard blue and a blued muzzle-like your gun. There was a change in the latter guns that featured a standard blue and a unblued muzzle like the rust blued guns but nobody knows for sure when the change occured!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:20 PM
herpestes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
early c..........barrel stamped 51

Last edited by herpestes; 12-03-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:23 PM
JohnOhio

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I hate to say for sure but from what I have seen it looks and sounds good to me. Like I said before - without seeing the gun - I can't be 100%. If its the same gun that had the pad-that wouldnt be correct but you never know when a original stock might come up for sale. If the metal is messed up(re-blued-extra holes- etc) then you just have a shooter and not a collector! I wouldnt write this gun off just yet. Getting back to the pad-someone may have just took the steel buttplate off and not cut the stock. It might be a matter of finding a steel buttplate and trading it out.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:27 PM
JohnOhio

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
52c

Take a good look a herbestes picture- your gun should look like his!
Old 06-26-2010, 06:07 AM
ttam
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile 52c

THANKS JOHN;
I'm sure now my 52C is all original with a blue muzzel.THANKS for all your help.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:02 AM
JohnOhio

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
52c muzzle

I'm starting to like the picture of your guns muzzle more and more. It has just the right amount of blue wear for a gun thats been shot and scraped a few times on the muzzle. I pulled out my early 52c bullgun and it would match up perfect with yours. Herpestes gun muzzle picture looks more like my 52B(New in the crate thats pictured on page 131 of the 52 book) It has a newer looking blue where it hasn't been shot or scraped up any on the muzzle.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:57 PM
HawaiiPD
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
52 c muzzles

Here is a pic of my heavy barrel stamped 51 with dovetailed front sight, serial

And a pic of my stanard weight barrel stamp 56? with screwed on sight ramp
serial 95,702

Sorry about the dust, I didn't remember to wipe.

From Hawaii, with Aloha to all.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:05 PM
BrianJ
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Barrel

Hawaii,

While others are looking at your crown I looked at your bore. I really hate to mention this but I found years ago that looking thru a barrel head on, as everyone does, tells you little, but a light shining in and looking at a slight angle into the muzzle at the first inch or so of rifling can tell a great amount. Your first pic of "51" does just this and what you see are corrosion spots (discoloration spots).
Back in the middle 70's I noted just this. Thinking it might only be at the muzzle I had the barrel cut 2" off. Looking at the result showed the same type spots, in fact its full length. I sectioned the cut off stub and it was in fact very minor pitting. Cleaning after every 30 to 40 rounds the gun shot fine. Not cleaning it would on occasion drop a shot.

bjm