The Watering Hole7-22-2019 - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 04:57 PM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookness View Post

Good shooting, GF! Was that a 40 animal match?
--Yes sir, it was.

Also thinking about some gorgonzola on crackers topped w/a kalamata olive

and a friend's wife who refused to let him go to a topas bar w/me many years ago. Wimmin! Most hear whot they want to.. and whot they weren't supposed to, very well.
Ha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szumi View Post
Forty or sixty, I wish I could shoot that good Gunfriend.
As Paul Harvey used to say, "Here's the real poop", or something like that.

These were the larger targets - what the club calls the "fun shoot", and it was a lot more fun than it would have been me trying to hit those tiny, tiny, ridiculously tiny ones (I don't remember them being that small).
There was a 72-year old fellow next to me shooting those small ones with his 1710 Anschuetz and 6.5-20 Leupold, and hitting them very well! He shoots all the time and has been to many regional and national matches. We conversed quite a bit and got dirty looks a couple of times from the RSO when we didn't hear range commands.
He grew up on a farm near my grandparents' place and said he hated the dairy farming, so he went to Vietnam.
Also said he was going right from the silhouette shoot to go shoot skeet in the local league up there. I bet he did well there too.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:18 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
My vacation is over, Wife has returned, it was time.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:26 PM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COW 54 View Post
In..

50 degrees outside, warming to 88 ...

No range trip, but airgun ammo testing continues. I have to remount the scope on the HW30. I was wondering how it managed to throw a shot every now and then. Scope-walk, a correctable nuisance. I'll try it again, if the scope walks any more I have some dandy Russian peep sights to use.

3 rifles and a pistol need a workout with this Eley ammo. I should come up for air around Tuesday (give or take).

In the meantime I have to repack the freezer downstairs. It seems somebody went overboard on the amount of frozen stuff bought from the commissary...

Life is good!

(for Don)

That is VERY cool, Stan. Thanks.

The range went well enough, this morning.

The Savage shot well, but has a propensity to discharge when the slide is dropped on the first round. That's not a good thing.
I'll have a good look at the striker/sear engagement surfaces, once I have it all apart.

I wasn't trying to pick up my 9mm Luger brass, but I did want all of my 9mm Kurtz, and my .32 ACP brass.
I spent as much time on my hands and knees searching for brass, as I did shooting.
Remembered why I don't shoot brass chuckers that often.

The heat was moderated by a real thunder boomer of a storm. Herb and I sat on the pistol line and chatted, while a young lady was trying to shoot a pistol in front of us. The conversation turned to that Epstein fellow.

I used my phone to shop for a S&W Triple Lock for Herb. There are only four on Gunbroker at the moment. We weren't impressed with any of them. Looking for one in .44 Spl. There is a fair example in .455 Webley, but that'd mean new dies, molds and brass.

Speaking of which, my order from Larry, with shiny Starline brass and a new die should arrive this week.

I came home and ate a burger, then took a nap.

Left over pasguetty and meat balls for supper this evening.

I could NOT imagine living without Central A/C.

If y'all are using window units, I suggest you trade them for one of these new portable units, if not a split unit.
The portable I put in my ballistic lab is great. It can keep up even in the middle of a summer day.
Even with Sirius rising at dawn, or as Wook is want to say, The Dog Days of Summer. The hottest forty days of the orbit this orb makes around Sol. I'm sure Dairyman would want to dispute that claim, living in the upsidedown and all.

Lawn still needs cutting. Perhaps Tuesday.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Old 07-21-2019, 05:52 PM
Wayne Sihler
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Since last I posted (5 :30) we are under a Flash Flood watch.Still under a Severe T-Storm watch and have had 1.75 inches of rain and its still raining.What a weather roller coaster.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Got to the range today. Took along a Steven 87D that was my dad's, my 1985 Ruger 10/22 DLX, and my 572 Remington all scoped. I had hoped the 87D would shoot well but it disappointed again. Great first to second round shooter but then begins to throw bullets around. Good to know that it puts the first one in there. That's what I remember when I was a kid hunting sparrows.

The 572 shot like I expected. Small clusters at 30 yards. The 2.5-7 Weaver fits it well and it fits me fine. Just like an 870. We seem to be made for each other if that makes sense.

The Ruger has a Brimstone trigger, it's only enhancement. I bought it used and discovered it had no buffer at all. I wondered what all the clanking was about. Muzzle is scuffed up but it still shoots well. I have a 3-9x40 Nikon on it and it's bright/clear. Most of the time I leave it set on 4 or 5x. It shot about the same as the 572 but my eyes are beginning to go south over the past year. Can't shoot it decently with my trifocals but squirrels would still be in trouble.

Found out who the culprits are in my mater planters: chipmunks. So far caught 5 with my rat traps. They don't drag off the traps anymore since I tied a short chunk of chain on them. No seagulls to eat them here, however.

Oh, almost forgot, shot the older Ruger single six with CCI Quiets to see how they do accuracy-wise. Well enough to use for critters and much less sound than HV. Decently accurate at 20 yards. Fun to shoot . . . not like with the mag cylinder.

Last edited by alum572; 07-21-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:19 PM
wookness

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Well, I'm envious of those that got some range time in. I did have a nice nap and awoke to find that a dif. driver than I had hoped won in NH. Mock turtles, in a soup? Dunno, I was ZZZZZ'n.

That's a great shot of that water spotter, Szumi! Bream are known to vacuum them from below the surface when given the opportunity. They are hard to track, whot w/their disappearing footprints.

You wouldn't B the first person to buy a gun because they had the brass for it. No one tells ya, but its a disease contracted by picking up spent brass.. and its always easier to pick all of it up and sort it later, but by then its already too late in some cases because you've already handled them twice by then. Its one of those cases where warshing yer hands has little to no observable effect on whether or not you get contaminated.

Old trap shooters have been known to become downright apoplectic whot with the plethora of once-fired shot shell hulls left for the trash bins these days by wonton heathens that don't find it worth the effort to reload! Picking up spent hulls has kept many a geezerback supple. Well, flexible anyway. Its them whot can no longer bend that gets apoplexy, tho MoJo Sticks have kept some in the game.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:55 PM
mdew

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
101* yesterday afternoon worked sparring outside til about 7:00 then went blackberry picking. I picked 2 quarts on top of the 3 quarts wife and I picked Friday evening. So far we have 13 quarts of blackberries and 1 quart of black raspberries in the freezer. Got another 2 quarts this morning, put a couple handfuls in jars then topped off with vodka for some infused action.

Granddaughter turns 6 tomorrow, hard to believe she is going into 1st grade.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:17 PM
Brent

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
In. Been busy today. Didn't want to blow up TWH with pics, so started it's own thread.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1167045

Also, Kent found a nice used 17.5' Triton boat. Insurance company was good to him, so he has extra money to boot.

Brent
Old 07-21-2019, 07:20 PM
wookness

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
That blackberry infused elixir has a brandied sound toit. My brain instantly wants some over a cobbler alamode!

I've an old bottle of Ukrainian vodka that was infused w/rose hips that I added some whole black Mexican pepper corns to, 30 or more years ago. It has a deep amber colour now and is seriously stout. I sometimes use a dash of it in a tomato based sauce for pasta. A little goes a very long way, but it is a special condiment and imparts a most pleasant black pepper essence, when used sparingly.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:50 PM
mdew

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookness View Post
That blackberry infused elixir has a brandied sound toit. My brain instantly wants some over a cobbler alamode!

I've an old bottle of Ukrainian vodka that was infused w/rose hips that I added some whole black Mexican pepper corns to, 30 or more years ago. It has a deep amber colour now and is seriously stout. I sometimes use a dash of it in a tomato based sauce for pasta. A little goes a very long way, but it is a special condiment and imparts a most pleasant black pepper essence, when used sparingly.
Iíve been on the Rhody program for the last 4 weeks. 1 1/2 hour 4 days a week in the gym. No sugar, bread or pasta. Belt down two notches, bench pressed 225, 4 times. But Iíll have to save up for your suggestion of topped cobbler. Wife says she is not onboard.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:17 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Took a solid two fingers of Irish Whiskey in honor of Shane Lowry's win at Royal Port Rush today in the Open. Good on ya' Lad, heck of a day for Golf. Night all.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:45 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good range, berries, tank, thieving chippies, brass, weather and wotnot reports guys.

Too cold for the fair weather Finn so another solo hoping for the 3rd walleye to make a glutinous meal for 2, and I did. Threw back one 4 inch perch, 7" walleye, 14" bullhead I almost kept, and about 8 sub legal walleye all 1/2 hr before dark and managed to zip back to the dock in time to clean w/o artificial light in time to catch The Loudest Voice. Saw an eagle but fed a seagull.

About 10 min. before 11 tonight a chopper flew by low but identity unknown. A rescue mission of sorts we're sure either by the hospital or USCG.

Low this a.m. was 48˚ and its 48˚ @ present.

Window handy guy is coming @ 10 a.m. to tar the sunroom roof as the job done by others sub par so it'll be entirely tarred to cover up previous sins.

Nite...
Old 07-21-2019, 10:50 PM
Frank Eagles
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stayed hot. Watered all the shaded gardens through out the afternoon. Watered as the shade hit them. Now looks like rain late Monday and Tuesday as cool front come through. Highs in the middle 80's.

I see my favorite beagles made a showing, Squirrel.

Brent, never seen the cross hatched on bluebird houses. I do that on wood duck houses. Lets the little ones climb out.

BW, I guess we need to update or town ordnances. We are missing all of those.

Al, thanks. Got them.

Anyone seen Splatz and IHMS?

Goodnight Al, Sophia, Rhody, Don, mdew, wook, Blackwolfe, Alum, GF, Sail, TD, Szumi, Gerald, Brent, Wayne, Ranger, pans, Rock, COW, Splatz, Phil, M92, dlong, Greggie, Atonic, Johnny, jnyork, IHMS, 1917, RichJ, Robs, wr, koonta, RichJ, JDWin, JV, GP, RonL, Carrij, Squirrel, arjay, CMR, Mike, rj, JD, Rick, calibrian, LASTSHOT and all the rest.

Sleep tight.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:02 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am alive just not talkative.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2019, 11:06 PM
GreggieBoy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Weekend flew by. Spent some time at the Warden's niece's new place. Her and her husband bought a 90 year old house. Nice place but the previous owner went wild with wallpaper. Removing it from lath and plaster left spots of glue and some discoloring. We did sanding, filing of the low spots, more sanding. The Warden is going over tomorrow to prime and hopefully paint, time and drying permitting. The niece's mother and her sibling haven't done much. These kids have a "to-do" list a mile long before they can move into the place. Feel for them - working full time, place is about 30 minutes away without traffic, an hour easily with, and there are only so many hours each week they can be there to get things done. Still, proud of them for the tenacity for going through the buying process and undertaking projects they've never done before.