AO/SF scope or fixed parallax? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:27 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I haven't bought a fixed power for decades. If it mattered anymore I'd switch all from AO to SF, but it doesn't.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:44 AM
I6turbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I won't deliberately buy a fixed-parallax scope, but I have several that I've accumulated over the years on guns I bought. I've adjusted some of them to a 50-yard parallax-free setting and have a couple of the 3-9s on .22 LR rifles that I would either hunt with, or more likely just plink with, and they work pretty well without being annoyingly out of focus in most cases. If you are shooting within the near-parallax-free range, you can't tell the difference. For shooting where the ranges might vary more widely and I want/need to aim with the most possible precision, I want adjustable focus, either A/O or side focus.

I also MUCH prefer side focus vs. A/O due to the speed, ease, and mainly the accessibility of the adjustment. Kind of like a car with an ignition switch inside the cabin vs one where I have to get out, go around to the front and start it with a hand crank under the radiator. Seriously, if I could convert all of my A/O scopes to SF, I'd do it.

Last edited by I6turbo; 07-16-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:33 AM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I'm not saying that the AO advocates are wrong, but I think AO has some drawbacks for a hunting use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_W View Post

I've run a fixed parallax scope, 3-9x40mm Simmons, on my old 10/22.

It was minute of raccoon head at 50 yards.
I see nothing wrong with a 3-9x, though a plain 4x may be an even better fit.

Quote:

Taking it in the South MS woods is a little concerning.
So this is going to be for walking through fields or woods and taking shots at all sorts of different distances?

When I did that sort of thing with a variable power, it seemed that as I was scanning the distance an opportunity for a close shot would arise, or as I carefully looked 15 to 30 feet ahead for something to start running, I would miss something going on far away. If it can be adjusted, it can be adjusted incorrectly for the circumstance you didn't foresee.

Part of the problem with scoping a 10/22 is the stock. You can either mount a scope that will fit with ultra low rings and get something like a check weld, or a scope with a flared objective bell. Parallax matters if your head moves, and having your cheek hover well above the comb means your head will be moving.

I once missed a sitting rabbit at 20 feet using a 10/22 with a wire stock.

If you are willing to address the stock and be sure that it fits your face for use with a specific scope height, then parallax error should be a modest concern. At 25 and 50 yards, I've made small groups with a 10/22, but that was always with a very hard contact with the combs of a non-standard stock.

That's my two cents. You have some nice scopes and you sound like you may be spending real money on another.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:29 PM
wolfshoon
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fixed parallax is great for one yardage, (usually 50 yards for a rimfire scope) and a few yards around it. A fair amount of error can be introduced at other ranges with with closer in targets suffering worse than targets past parallax setting. I've sold off almost all of my non AO scopes in favor of FFP AO variable scopes.

OP's choice of mounting up a SWFA 3-15x is a great one. For it's price range it has a great feature set and for the longest time was the only game in town with those specs and glass quality (made in japan, as are all of SWFA's SS series). Only things I would modify would be a zero stop for elevation and 10 MIL/rev instead of 5 and a more modern drop reticle. The 3-15 will focus down to 6 meters/20 feet and has repeatable tracking of 30+ MILs (roughly 110 MOA) adjustment and I don't get eyestrain using it all day.

New entries in the market include Athlon, Sig and others with 6-24 magnification with zero stops, SF, illumination and decent close yardage focus.

I've used 3-15x's for years in matches with variable ranges from 20-230 yards. For a string of fire from 35-200 yards I'd start at 8x mag and switch to 15x at 80+ yards and adjust side AO 4 times during the string to keep targets clearly in focus. Seems like a lot to do in a 3 or 1 minute string, but it can be done and becomes second nature after a while.

I have turret wheels for my side focus and could easily adjust it with my left hand thumb when holding in offhand standing.

I am a fan of SWFA's 3-15, but my next scope is probably going to be Athlon's Midas Tac 6-24x with a xmas tree reticle as it clicks off everything on my wish list: FFP, Side focus, 30+ MILs elevation, zero stop

SWFA 3-15's on my match rifles
Old 07-16-2019, 08:51 PM
Rick_W
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
So this is going to be for walking through fields or woods and taking shots at all sorts of different distances?
My purpose for the original post was to get an idea of what other shooters are using and how.

I've just recently bought a few optics with S/F and found it a bit cumbersome to adjust the focus while holding the rifle off-hand. No problem from the bench, though.

Until recently the only rimfire I owned was the 10/22 which I've had for about 20 years. I've used it to take care of problem critters around the house but truthfully, it's never been bug-hole accurate. How much of that is the rifle?? Ammo issue?? Parallax issue?? Good questions and things I'm just learning about.

My latest purchase (Tikka T1x) was made in anticipation of target-style shooting, which is why I decided on mounting the SWFA 3-15x42.

I also have a NIB Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 FFP with EBR-2C MRAD reticle that I'm planning on installing on a recently ordered CZ 457 Varmint (17HMR) when it arrives. The box still has the plastic on it.

If I decide to start squirrel hunting again, I may just need to pick up another rifle with a fixed parallax scope.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:04 PM
Rick_W
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfshoon View Post
Fixed parallax is great for one yardage, (usually 50 yards for a rimfire scope) and a few yards around it. A fair amount of error can be introduced at other ranges with with closer in targets suffering worse than targets past parallax setting.
Good information - thank you.

Quote:
New entries in the market include Athlon, Sig and others with 6-24 magnification with zero stops, SF, illumination and decent close yardage focus.
I have a NIB (unopened) Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 FFP MRAD reticle scope that I got a really good deal on. No illumination, but the only optics I own with illumination are red-dots.

Quote:
I've used 3-15x's for years in matches with variable ranges from 20-230 yards. For a string of fire from 35-200 yards I'd start at 8x mag and switch to 15x at 80+ yards and adjust side AO 4 times during the string to keep targets clearly in focus. Seems like a lot to do in a 3 or 1 minute string, but it can be done and becomes second nature after a while.
What type of competition?

Quote:
I have turret wheels for my side focus and could easily adjust it with my left hand thumb when holding in offhand standing.
I've never seen a turret in use. I've actually wondered what the purpose is. Does it just allow for easier adjustment?

Quote:
SWFA 3-15's on my match rifles
Nice collection.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:11 AM
wolfshoon
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

What type of competition?

For these rifles it is mainly steel events like Steel Dogs and NRL style matches out to 230 yards. Throw in some KYL and an occasional ARA BR match for giggles, but I've since switched to a 1710 Anschutz to shoot ARA for now.

SWFA's SS line certainly isn't the most glamorous scope brand out there and the reticles are getting dated, but their price point for value is still fairly decent, especially for the fixed power classic line. Last couple of years the competition has finally caught up and is passing SWFA in this segment. I'd love for them to release a 4/6---22/27x, 10 MIL/rev, zero stop, 30-34mm tube, HD glass scope with a modern xmas reticle made by LOW, but they seem content to let sales slip to competing products.

Point is that the SWFA's have reliable tracking as I dial for elevation probably at least half of the matches I shoot. Running the turrets up/down roughly 8 MILs per string of fire with between 4-8 stages per match day gives the scope a good workout and they still track repeatably and return to zero. Probably average 14-20 match days per year plus practice and plinking over the last 8 - 9 years that these scopes have been out.