Leather boot grommet - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:55 PM
TRG3

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Leather boot grommet

I've got an older pair of LL Bean hunting boots and one of the eyelets/grommets has pulled out of the leather upper. Amazon offers several options on replacements, but I'd like to hear from a member who has already done this.

Thanks,Tom
Old 07-10-2019, 09:21 PM
newbie2

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Harbor freight has grommet kits. You can eyeball which is closest to the original and go from there. It might help you sort out which you want from Amazon.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:58 AM
dotchief
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Well,

I've been wearing Bean boots for over 60 years. I've had so many resoled by them that I have lost count. However, I've never had a grommet issue. If it were me, I'd be on the phone with Bean and find out if they won't repair it for you. Their service is awesome.

I sent a pair of boots back to them for resoling along with my check for the work and shipping. I got the boots back in less than two weeks along with my check and letter of apology! Seems the soles on the boots were not the correct composition in the rubber. They repaired the boots and I got my money back!!!

Pat G

Old 07-11-2019, 05:23 PM
bangbang
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
have you looked at any shoe/boot repair shops locally?

I totally get the grommet kit, but sometimes you can get it repaired.

when i was working at my couz shoe/clothes store it was common to replace the grommets/hooks or put some heels taps? on boots.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:04 PM
TRG3

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotchief View Post
I've been wearing Bean boots for over 60 years. I've had so many resoled by them that I have lost count. However, I've never had a grommet issue. If it were me, I'd be on the phone with Bean and find out if they won't repair it for you. Their service is awesome.

I sent a pair of boots back to them for resoling along with my check for the work and shipping. I got the boots back in less than two weeks along with my check and letter of apology! Seems the soles on the boots were not the correct composition in the rubber. They repaired the boots and I got my money back!!!

Pat G
I contacted LL Bean and they suggested that I take the boot to a repair shop that does that sort of work. I could send the boot to them which would be a $14 replacement cost plus the shipping. Since the nearest shoe repair place is 45 miles away and it would take two trips, I'm going to order a grommet kit via Amazon. Thanks for your input. Tom
Old 07-12-2019, 07:02 AM
dotchief

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thanks

Tom for the info on the price from Bean for the repair. I'll file this info away.

Pat G
Old 07-15-2019, 09:01 AM
Plinkhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use grommets for canvas and leather hobby stuff. My local Ace Hardware has the small sizes seen on boots. Have you tried Ace for what you need? Basic setting tools are cheap and can be found at fabric stores. Pro tools will cost more than new boots.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:04 PM
TRG3

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Thanks for the info. The nearest Ace Hardware is about 50 miles away and I'll put that on my list of things to look for the next time I go that direction.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:36 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
How about taking the pulled out grommet and somewhat opening up the crimped side with a needle nosed pliers, reinserting it and re-setting with a homemade 'punch and anvil'. You can 'turn' such small stuff with a chunk of mild steel, even a nail, chucked up in an elec drill and file the right shape on the end.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:46 AM
Plinkhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some retail merchandise uses eyelets on the pkg to hang it on pegs to keep the pkg from tearing. In a pinch I've removed those eyelets and re-purposed them to make eyelets on the ends of .015 braided wire for control line model airplanes. These are probably too small for boots but it's another option if you can find the right size.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:48 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ive saved all kinds of stuff to re-purpose for decades. Now if I could just find that.......
Old 07-28-2019, 03:05 PM
TRG3

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinkhead View Post
I use grommets for canvas and leather hobby stuff. My local Ace Hardware has the small sizes seen on boots. Have you tried Ace for what you need? Basic setting tools are cheap and can be found at fabric stores. Pro tools will cost more than new boots.
I picked up a 1/4" grommet kit from Ace Hardware but found that the two leather strip thickness on my LL Bean boots did not allow the two different pieces in the replacement grommet to work, so I used two of the longer grommet pieces instead. I put a slight flare on one of the pieces to allow the other to slip inside it, then used the tool to hammer the two together. So far, it seems to be holding. I've now got 22 other grommets to keep my boots going for years to come! Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:07 AM
dotchief

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thanks

for the update on the Bean Boot issue. I'll keep Ace in mind should the need arise.

Pat G
Old 07-29-2019, 01:28 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Sewing supply stores have all kinds of grommets and may have what you need.