Weaver Torque screwdriver --TROUBLE SHOOT ?? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:06 PM
farnak48
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Thank you OLD GUY MISTAKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Farnak48, in post 10 you called it a Wheeler, am I correct that it is really a Weaver?
If so, you can edit post 10 so no-one gets led astray on brand.
Thanks for keeping me straight....i was looking at the Wheeler product as a replacement.for the Weaver product.....my bad.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:22 PM
farnak48

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Borka tool very interesting..thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
"so do I understand you correctly that between the two tools you can cover up to 65 inch pounds of torque ?"

No you would have a small gap because the CDI maxes out at 40 inch pounds.
The Seekonk is a fixed 65.

Now you could debate whether you need to hit 45 inch pounds for your Anschutz rifles to perform.
We have a ton of them shooting in our monthly USBR match, and most of them are set at 30-35 inch pounds because the shooters worry that 45 is going to damage them.

And Anschutz hasn't helped with this because for a time thay had info out there saying that 45 was the correct level for their sporters.
That's since be corrected to 22-35 inch pounds.

So at this time I'm not sure which exact models can handle 45 inch pounds, and if that level is actually needed.
Its really been a muddied up topic for years.

Smooth

IF you're considering a Borka, here's an excellent video the discusses all that goes into using it properly.
http://www.shooterstools.com/default.html
Smooth...
I appreciate your sharing your experience with the Anschutz torque setting with the shooters from your range group. I tend to agree that 30-35 is more reasonable.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:38 PM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (32)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
"so do I understand you correctly that between the two tools you can cover up to 65 inch pounds of torque ?"

No, you would have a small gap because the CDI maxes out at 40 inch pounds.
The Seekonk is a fixed 65.

Now you could debate whether you need to hit 45 inch pounds for your Anschutz rifles to perform.
We have a ton of them shooting in our monthly USBR match, and most of them are set at 30-35 inch pounds because the shooters worry that 45 is going to damage them.

And Anschutz hasn't helped with this because for a time thay had info out there saying that 45 was the correct level for their sporters.
That's since be corrected to 22-35 inch pounds.

So at this time I'm not sure which exact models can handle 45 inch pounds, and if that level is actually needed.
Its really been a muddied up topic for years.

Smooth

IF you're considering a Borka, here's an excellent video that discusses all the steps that go into using it properly.
http://www.shooterstools.com/default.html
Single shot Match actions will shoot better at 45-inch IME, the recoil lug is about 1-inch long and is buried in the stock to prevent the so call crushing of the wood IMO
Frank remember Tom P.'s 1611 I fooled with for him, after I torqued it at 45 he was able to tune it better. he also found out the reason it didn't shoot well at Lapua (loose screws)

if you have an action that has the action screws before and after the loading port most times the rear screw will require less torque and by as much as 40% so say front screw is at 35-inch rear would probably shoot better at 12-15-inch
this is all based on my experience with repeaters.

Lee

Last edited by Hi-NV Shooter; 07-13-2019 at 01:41 PM.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:36 PM
farnak48

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
Single shot Match actions will shoot better at 45-inch IME, the recoil lug is about 1-inch long and is buried in the stock to prevent the so call crushing of the wood IMO
Frank remember Tom P.'s 1611 I fooled with for him, after I torqued it at 45 he was able to tune it better. he also found out the reason it didn't shoot well at Lapua (loose screws)

if you have an action that has the action screws before and after the loading port most times the rear screw will require less torque and by as much as 40% so say front screw is at 35-inch rear would probably shoot better at 12-15-inch
this is all based on my experience with repeaters.

Lee
Hi Dr.Lee,
Sometimes you have to raddle my OLD memory cells....I do now remember the incident with Tom P and his Anschutz getting improved with the 45 in lb torque...proof is in the pudding and you have had more pudding than me by far...
Hope all is well in your world...sounds like you are having fun shooting with the centerfire boys at your range...Appreciate your post as always...you know the ins and outs of these Anschutz guns as well as anyone.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:59 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (32)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnak48 View Post
Hi Dr.Lee,
Sometimes you have to raddle my OLD memory cells....I do now remember the incident with Tom P and his Anschutz getting improved with the 45 in lb torque...proof is in the pudding and you have had more pudding than me by far...
Hope all is well in your world...sounds like you are having fun shooting with the centerfire boys at your range...Appreciate your post as always...you know the ins and outs of these Anschutz guns as well as anyone.
Frank, I just finished the 1413 bedding and will test it today. Falcon 2 is waiting to be put together, just got the stock from Don. the stock"s forearm is 2" longer than your 1813"s I wanted the extra length, to match the 28" barrel.

I am very tempted to pull the barrel off the 1413 and have it re-chamber for the Nevius chamber, it shoots real good now but I am wondering how it would shoot with the Nevius chamber. but if I do that I might want to keep it!

On torque drivers, I use the Felo brand($45) made in Germany only thing it won't allow exact settings, meaning you can't set it to say 15-inch closes would be 15.2 it is all metric scale

Lee
Old 07-16-2019, 05:38 PM
farnak48

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
UPDATE; Weaver Customer Service Comes Through !!!

Say Guys,

Just a update --- I did contact Weaver Customer Service for their tools division ( which is different than for optics )...and they are replacing this mal-functioning torque driver for me at NO CHARGE... Yeah !!

So I will give them A+ for standing behind the product.
The tech that I spoke to on the phone just asked me to take a picture of the tool and email it too him so he could get me a replacement out which is of like kind.

So in the event that someone here on RFC may have a Weaver tool product concern here is the current contact number for them: 800-533-5000
They are in Calif. so Pacific Time Zone M-F open

Thanks to all the posters on this thread.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:44 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
+ 1 for Weaver this time!
Some stuff just fails, some last, maybe this time you get a laster.
Btw, this thread got me thinking about getting a torque screwdriver again....I kept thinking it a good idea but didnt order one for one reason or another. So,I went on the search and just received the Vortex 10-50 in# model from Amazon. A bit more money but the ergo's and range I was looking for with a nice adj. scale. Seems a good piece of kit at this point. Only time and use will tell.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:48 AM
farnak48

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Hurray for you on your Vortex purchase

Quote:
+ 1 for Weaver this time!
Some stuff just fails, some last, maybe this time you get a laster.
Btw, this thread got me thinking about getting a torque screwdriver again....I kept thinking it a good idea but didnt order one for one reason or another. So,I went on the search and just received the Vortex 10-50 in# model from Amazon. A bit more money but the ergo's and range I was looking for with a nice adj. scale. Seems a good piece of kit at this point. Only time and use will tell.
Hi gcrank1,
Glad that this little thread helped to move you into action.to acquire a torque driver...we all tend to procrastinate. I hope the Vortex tool is a good investment that serves you well and that you enjoy using.

As i have hung around RFC for several years educating myself about this rimfire shooting business..and been fortunate to find RFC mentors and great information sharing going on. .I learned that to enjoy improving in my shooting skills, I needed to have a rifle set-up to shoot properly...and the torque of the action is a big component in that....so I wish you success and enjoyment as you travel down the rimfire road that we all are on.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:06 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ive had a chance to use the Vortex now and can truly say this thing is SWEET.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:22 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
gcrank: I have the Vortex as well and agree with the "sweet" comment! It seems to be a quality made tool. That 50 in. lbs. max range will handily cover those that want to torque action screws as high as 45 in. lbs, though that DOES seem to be a little TOO snug to me. The proof is on target though, regarding torque settings... Also, I have not seen any negative comments on RFC or otherwise on the Vortex tool. Just sayin'
Old 07-27-2019, 01:06 AM
farnak48

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Thumbs up on the Vortex torque driver !!

Quote:
Gcrank,
Thanks for posting your report about the quality & satisfaction with the Vortex Torque driver. Hopefully that will help others RFC members who maybe out looking for this needed tool. And it even got a good second recommendation...
Thanks guys.

Well I did NOT RECEIVE THE PROMISED replacement for my Weaver Torque driver...soooo I called again.....they said they had no record of my claim even though I had the name of the tech that I spoke with. Huh ??
Anyway the tech I spoke too this time was a older gentlemen said he had a tool in stock and it was going out that day to me....so fingers crossed ...next week I hope.

Just a FYI about Weaver - I asked some questions with the tech..
- his company in Calif... has been contracted by Vista Sports group to take over service issues with the Weaver tools and scope mounts....and he said they just got the account...so they were just settling in with them.

-I asked him what he knew about service on Weaver scopes....he said he was not sure what was happening but they had been through Bushnell & have a different phone number for scopes and it has nothing to do with his company....This gentlemen has been a tech with his company for 32 years....so they must be a decent solid company to retain people that long.

Anyone else that desires to recommend their favorite gunsmith torque tools ..please post recommendations here for everyone's benefit...

AIM SMALL
Old 08-08-2019, 11:09 PM
farnak48

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Final Chapter --success with Weaver tool service

Say Guys,

Final chapter I did receive a factory replacement for my Weaver torque driver at no charge from the Weaver tool service department So it is nice to be able to say something good about a company in the shooting sports industry caring about the shooters who use their products.

Thanks to all the posters on this thread.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:14 AM
oldbird13

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
He knows he bought junk and Weaver knows they sold him junk. The best they could do is GIVE him more junk for free! That is the Rimfire Central customer business model. Buying cheap is more important than getting what you paid for!
Beat me to the punch. In today's world, IMO, holding the price for anything seems to be the rule of thumb..and the only way it typically happens is to use lesser quality materials since labor costs typically don't go backwards. Said way too many times over the years..you get what you pay for. Buy quality once.