Martini International MKII - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:21 AM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Martini International MKII

I have a mkII and it has a number of scrapes in the finish on the stocks which absolutely drive me crazy. The bluing on this rifle is pretty good with some edge wear and a few other marks but overall for its age relatively good. Overall this gun is in good shape with original sights and all else original I believe. What I am trying to decide if it would hurt the value if I do a nice refinish on the stock set. I believe all the marks will come out and this could be a beautiful gun when I'm done.

I don't know that I will keep it as I kind of have a bucket list of target rifles that I am getting through. I don't have anyone of my kids that are really interested in Rimfires like me so don't want to keep a bunch of them sitting here. My big question is whether the value will be hurt or helped with a nice refinish? From what I have seen on these it doesnt seem to hurt them but I dont watch these that mutch anymore. I wont be able to get any pictures of it on here until this weekend so I know its hard to give a definitive answer but just wondering your thoughts on the subject?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:00 PM
cleanprone
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
go ahead

I redid my Mark II awhile back. The original was purchased from Navy Arms at an OGCA show and was complete with good blueing, sights, handstop, etc. Lots of small blemishes and pressure marks and needed some refinish work. I don't think you can "devalue" these rifles (there are a lot of them over here) with a well done work over, just raise the dents and remove and replace the original finish- no deep sanding or blurring of edge lines. Some colorant and two coats of MinWax water based poly, looks great. Hardest part was getting the buttstock off, takes a special spanner.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:54 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BSA Internationals were very common over here in the EU (UK, Ireland, etc) and can still be picked up for relatively small money. Re doing the stock shouldn't devalue the rifle unless its a superb example metal wise or an Al Freeland example.

Lots were club guns and as such suffered at the hands of inexperienced and junior shooter, therefore expect lots of dings and scratches especially on the woodwork.

Lots of info on the older BSA threads and in Stocks: Making, Repairing, Refinishing, Modifying, and Bedding.

Best of luck with your project.

Giz

Old 06-27-2019, 07:11 PM
rapidfire10ring
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
This is a 'touchy' subject with some people. If we all had perfect collector quality firearms, there would be no desire or need for refinishing.
It also follows is certain antiques too. One needs to ask if there really is a finicky purchaser just waiting around the corner to buy YOUR 30% rifle and drool over it.
If you happen to have a 100 yr old Winchester or a Colt Dragoon, I suppose i would not refinish it.
But I have bought a multitude of low-percentage-finish rifles just because they are cheap. That said, a refinish doesn't bump them up to pure collector value, but makes the one you have a desirable item to hold.

As I recall, some of the Brits stated they have more valuation for a professionally refinished firearm, than they do one that shows neglect and wear.
I have re-done a multitude of Martini's and they can be considered professionally re-blued and the wood is also done to a fine refinish. See this thread to see another recent refinish: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1157319
Old 06-28-2019, 11:01 AM
Dickn52
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Won't be selling my MKII, but I had the metal work very fine bead blasted to remove surface pitting, then Cerrakoted in a black/blue. Nothing about the metal is original finish wise. Smith polished the feed ramp to a mirror. Shoots better than my 3 Win 52 d's ever will and the thing just plain old looks good too. I know this wandered away from the OP question, but to me as a shooter and not an investor/collector refinishing helps the gun.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:33 AM
Topstrap44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Really enjoy reading anything from caretakers of any old rifle that is being enjoyed and used instead of being hidden away.

Topstrap
Old 07-06-2019, 12:28 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Here are a couple pictures of this Martini, one with original sights and then with base I made tonight and scoped it. I can shoot it at 25yds with the peeps but can't see it at 50yd because of my eye. I knew after laying them in a small ragged hole at 25yds this thing would shoot so really wanted to get a scope on it. I always have some heavy Weaver rails around so used one to make a base, took about 20 minutes and a lot cheaper than buying a Vienna or even an EGW. This thing shoots amazingly well, next step is to refinish the stock.

It really likes SK Standard Plus but the Pistol Match not as much. I'm out of anything much better so may have to make a trip to Brownells tomorrow or order some more ammo online. I like Eley Edge but ran out. What do you guys like in yours?

Rapidfire, I don't think I saw you say what finish you put on your Martini? That thing is absolutely amazing. The bluing on mine is actually pretty good, after cleaning it up I realize it's much better than I first thought. The wood has tons of little pressure marks and indentations but nothing that won't stream out.

My last Martini just never clicked for me as much but I realize that I have this one set up much better. The scope is higher and I can see right into the breach area when loading, the last one I had the scope lower and the bezel blocked the view, it also seemed like the loading tray didn't sit level with the chamber so the round didn't go in as well. Right now the trigger breaks super clean at 15oz, I couldn't find a small enough Allen bit or I would have tried dropping the weight a little more even. How low will these triggers adjust to?

Between this and my Haenel I just got I'm a pretty happy camper, I have decided to let a few of my others go so will probably be listing my H&R M12 and my Custom Remington 580 both of which shoot great. The M12 has shot a number of 1/2" groups at 100yds, I sure hope this thing will do that or I may cry after selling the M12.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190625_114624.jpg (307.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20190705_204331.jpg (546.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-06-2019, 01:12 PM
Gillis2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice Martini. Good on you
I also have a Mk II and it is very accurate + a pure joy to shoot.

Gilbert
Old 07-07-2019, 04:05 PM
rapidfire10ring

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillis2 View Post
Nice Martini. Good on you
I also have a Mk II and it is very accurate + a pure joy to shoot.

Gilbert
I have about a dozen Mk II's and an unknown quantity of other marks. I at least know I have four Mk IV's.

Last edited by rapidfire10ring; 07-08-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:39 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Here it is stripped, all the dents steamed out, sanded to 320 and stained with Herters European French Red stain. Tomorrow after it dries good I will start putting on finish. I think it's going to look pretty nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190707_161849.jpg (536.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20190707_161949.jpg (538.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-07-2019, 07:35 PM
NCchris
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
That wood is beautiful! The stain is spot-on. What makes it so is a lot of hard work and no extra holes! Be sure and put up "after" photos.
Chris
Old 07-07-2019, 07:47 PM
ghgs

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Real nice work Glenn, looks like your about to have another fine rifle there.

If you are looking for recommendations for a finish, and you can spray, it's hard to beat lacquer. I have been using Lenmar Ultralaq precatalyzed. I purchase it at a Sherwin Williams store. So far best I have found.
This is one of my 12/15's that I restocked last year and finished with the Lenmar Ultralaq.
Glen H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1215Stock.jpg (195.3 KB, 192 views)
Old 07-07-2019, 08:01 PM
rapidfire10ring

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCchris View Post
That wood is beautiful! The stain is spot-on. What makes it so is a lot of hard work and no extra holes! Be sure and put up "after" photos.
Chris
Finding a set with "no extra holes" is a real chore.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:42 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
No problem spraying, I have painted quite a few trucks and cars. I have really thought about trying an automotive clear coat for the strength. I'm actually colorblind so I just have to guess on the color. Had to cheat on the color test when I went in the Army or never would have gotten into some of the stuff I did. Thanks for the kind words, as I said before after I cleaned this up I realized the bluing was also in really good shape. It wont look like Rapidfires rifle though, that last one was absolutely beautiful.

I forgot to mention that the one thing wrong with this was the forearm rail is not the correct one. It is about a inch short so need to find the right one, any ideas on where to get one? I will have to measure it again but I think it needs a 7" rail.

Last edited by grg; 07-07-2019 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Forearm rail
Old 07-07-2019, 11:14 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
One more question, can anyone tell me what pull weight the factory trig is capable of going down to? I believe mine is right at 12oz but wondering if it can go lower, just don't want to mess it up as it's super clean right now.