Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:09 PM
Chaoscreature

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Newly inherited Sport King

Hey All!

I am new to firearms and just inherited a Sport king that belonged to my father.

The pistol looks like it has hardly been fired.
I can't seem to find too much information on the gun. I went to Histandard.info and there are a bunch of manuals there, but none of the parts breakdowns look quite like mine. I am assuming this is a model 101 and maybe made around 1952?

If anyone can give me some history on this firearm I would appreciate it

Old 06-18-2019, 03:57 PM
Ontarian50

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What you have there pre-dates the 101 series of High Standards.
Your gun is from what collectors now call the "Lever Name" series, because the barrel removes by unlatching the small lever, and the guns now all had names, ranging from Sport King, Flite King, Field King, Supermatic, and Olympic.
I'm gathering there had been some meeting in 1950 where the High Standard board were told they had to get with the times and no longer label their guns by letters (B, D, E, etc).
So your gun is among the first to be called "Sport King" (replacing the earlier B, and A models).
And yes, the "Lever Name" series were made from 1950 to 1954, after which High Standard brought out the button release frame 100 series.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:06 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can't add much to Ontarian50's comments other than to say that you have inherited a very nice High Standard pistol.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:44 PM
Chaoscreature

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I just got back from the range. I had a lot of misfeed issues.
I cleaned and oiled the pistol earlier in the week and it seems like it's functioning smoothly... but then I am a novice at this.

I started out with CCI Standard Velocity rounds and got a misfeed after about 3 rounds. I switched to Winchester Hollow Points and got the same thing on the 2nd shot. I also tried a third round from my buddy at the range, but I forgot the brand. It looked just like the CCI.

The bullet is hitting the top of the barrel, missing the hole by about 1/2 the diameter of the bullet. When the slide slams into the casing it almost bends the bullet in half!

Like I said, I am new to this so I am hoping someone has seen this before and can point me in the right direction.

Sorry about the fuzzy pictures, my phone was struggling to focus on the bullets. You can see the bite mark in the brass tipped Hollow Point, right in the middle.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:21 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There will be some forum members who are Hi Standard enthusiasts that will offer some advice. My guess is that the magazine will need some adjusting.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:24 PM
jdavis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Your feeding problems are surely caused by your out of adjustment magazine lips. This is a common problem with Hi Standard pistols that can be easily remedied. There is a tool that allows you to properly adjust your magazines. They are available from a seller on EBay. It will come with instructions.
Your High Standard pistol should not be fired with any ammunition other than standard velocity (1070 FPS). Most folks here will suggest that you fire CCI standard velocity only due to the possibility of a frame crack.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:37 PM
moonjohn
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The first thing to do is post closeup pictures of the magazine so we can identify the magazine.
Right side, left side, top, bottom.
Because, if you have a third party magazine, it may be impossible for the magazine to ever feed reliably.
Need to know the color and composition of the follower.
Is anything stamped on the base of the magazine.
Your problem most certainty is that you have a “lazy magazine”.

I suggest that you do not adjust the lips.
You will just make things worst.
There are numerous High Standard magazines out there that are badly screwed up because people mindlessly adjusted the lips when there was nothing wrong with the lips.

I suggest you read “Mags, mags, mags” on page 19 of the High Standard section of this forum.

If the gun/magazine worked when your father owned the gun, there is a good chance you can get it to work by giving the gun and magazine a thorough cleaning.

Concerning the magazine, I suggest that you disassemble it, inspect it components, and give it a thorough cleaning.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:44 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
These High Standard guns rely heavily on the shape of the magazine lips to correctly feed ammo because there is virtually no feed ramp in the frame that helps in that task. That is, the cartridge has to leave the magazine perfectly and enter the chamber on center. If the lips are not adjusted correctly then the bullet hits the chamber edge and either mars the bullet or flat crumples the cartridge like in the pictures. Even the marred bullet is bad as the distorted bullet surface may not let the bullet fully seat in the tight chamber and cause the slide to not fully close. That leads to a misfire.

Mags can be adjusted but it can be fiddly work. There are lip spacing dimensions that are a good starting point. But to avoid frustration it may be better to just buy a new magazine. DO NOT buy gun show after market magazines. A good approach is to contact Alan Aronstein at interarmstx.com and get his newly manufactured magazines for your gun. The lips are hardened to keep the tune These mags have been developed by Alan over several decades while he ran High Standard Company of Houston Texas. They come highly recommended by posters here.

LDBennett
Old 06-20-2019, 08:07 AM
SGVictor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is a late 1952 lever name series pistol. If the magazine is original to the gun, the magazine is the older finger style magazine. We need to know what style magazine your pistol currently has in order to properly advise you how to proceed. The photos that moonjohn requested would allow proper identification of the magazine.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:40 AM
SGVictor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontarian50 View Post
What you have there pre-dates the 101 series of High Standards.
Your gun is from what collectors now call the "Lever Name" series, because the barrel removes by unlatching the small lever, and the guns now all had names, ranging from Sport King, Flite King, Field King, Supermatic, and Olympic. The Flite King was never a part of the lever name series it was introduced as a 100 series pistol. The factory had planned a lever name series Flite King and assigned a catalog number for that version but it was never produced.

I'm gathering there had been some meeting in 1950 where the High Standard board were told they had to get with the times and no longer label their guns by letters (B, D, E, etc). The transition from model name using letters and the named models began in the third quarter of 1949 with the new .22 short target pistol named the OLYMPIC. The Sport King, Field King and Supermatic names began with the lever name series in 1951. The Sport King in January, the Supermatic in March, and the Field King in May.

So your gun is among the first to be called "Sport King" (replacing the earlier B, and A models). Factory advertisements call the Sport King the replacement for the Model B

And yes, the "Lever Name" series were made from 1950 to 1954, after which High Standard brought out the button release frame 100 series. The production of the lever name series pistols and the 100 series pistols overlap with the early introduction of the Flite King LW-100 and the outlier production of the lever name pistols in February and June 1954. The Flite King 100 series was introduced in August 1953 while the lSK-100 Sport King appeared in January 1954. The FK-100 Field King and lever name S-100 Supermatic in February 1954 and the O-100 Olympic in March 1954
Old 06-20-2019, 09:44 AM
Chaoscreature

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you all for the help!
I did some Googling last night and came across the instructions for clip tang adjustment. I was going to go ahead and give it a go, but I will hold off for further identification.
I don't see any identification or markings on the magazine.

For a bit of history, my Grandfather owned this gun. He passed away in about 1992 and my father inherited the pistol from him. My father never shot the gun. The pistol was stored in a leather holster in a night table. The magazine was kept loaded in a dresser.
I removed the barrel and slide, cleaned and oiled the gun. I did NOT oil the magazine because I read somewhere not to. Loading bullets was a little tricky as they would hang up a bit and I had to shake the magazine to get them to drop down. I can "thumb eject" them just fine, the spring still has decent tension.
FWIW I tried only loading 5 rounds at one point and the pistol cycled all 5. I loaded in 10 rounds right after and it misfed on the 2nd shot.

BTW, just how dangerous is a misfeed like that? Can the bullet be discharged in the breech like that?

Old 06-20-2019, 10:06 AM
SGVictor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaoscreature View Post
Thank you all for the help!
I did some Googling last night and came across the instructions for clip tang adjustment. I was going to go ahead and give it a go, but I will hold off for further identification.
I don't see any identification or markings on the magazine.

For a bit of history, my Grandfather owned this gun. He passed away in about 1992 and my father inherited the pistol from him. My father never shot the gun. The pistol was stored in a leather holster in a night table. The magazine was kept loaded in a dresser.
I removed the barrel and slide, cleaned and oiled the gun. I did NOT oil the magazine because I read somewhere not to. Loading bullets was a little tricky as they would hang up a bit and I had to shake the magazine to get them to drop down. I can "thumb eject" them just fine, the spring still has decent tension.
FWIW I tried only loading 5 rounds at one point and the pistol cycled all 5. I loaded in 10 rounds right after and it misfed on the 2nd shot.

BTW, just how dangerous is a misfeed like that? Can the bullet be discharged in the breech like that?

That s an original finger style magazine.

It sounds like you may have a dirty magazine. I suggest soaking in kerosene and sloshing it around in the kerosene. Old as it is it may take a little time to soften any dried oil and or crud. I think that would be a good first step.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:20 AM
Ontarian50

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As noted by SGVictor ... "Factory advertisements call the Sport King the replacement for the Model B"

That may be so, but as there was no G-A model produced by High Standard, (which going by the earlier A and H-A designs, it would use the B barrel, but with the longer grip frame of the D), it was likely simpler to refer to the B version as what the Sport King was replacing. They would presumably have planned a G-A model, but as that lineup was short-lived, it never happened.
However, my point is that the Sport King is actually more a replacement for the A series, as it has the longer grip frame - so it really represents a merging of the B and A models, as they weren't going with the shorter grip style any more.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:34 PM
Chaoscreature

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks guys!

I will give the magazine a good cleaning. I don't have any kerosene... I have mineral spirits, acetone, brake cleaner, carburetor cleaner and the Hoppes Gun Cleaner. I don't think acetone is a good idea, but the mineral spirits are kind of like Kerosene.

I found this document which implies the lips should be parallel:
http://ashevillerifleandpistolclub.o...2-107-PTS1.pdf

The kicker lips on my magazine are not parallel.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:54 PM
HSWayne
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
different style magazines

The magazine in your pistol is called the finger style, whereas the magazine shown in the article you cited is called the lip style. That adjustment process does not directly apply to your magazine. Your magazine has rear feed lips, then a pair of fingers, and then the "kicker" lips. The newer style lip magazine only had the rear feed lips and the front kicker lips. The fingers are not intended to be parallel on the older style magazines. The metal on these older style magazines is thinner than on the later style, and overzealous adjustment attempts can cause permanent damage to the magazine. If it were my magazine, I would only attempt to adjust the rear feed lips, and then only carefully and a little at a time. Use a dial caliper to measure the gap between the lips before and after adjustment. Less gap makes the cartridge feed lower into the chamber.

Perform a good cleaning of the magazine and try it again before doing any adjustments.

Last edited by HSWayne; 06-20-2019 at 02:08 PM. Reason: add info