Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:26 PM
Seabass707

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mk 1 trigger spring housing woes

Came across an immaculate 1965 bull barreled target model ... It followed me to the range where I oiled it up and proceeded to sight it in ... Woefully one shot at a time... I racked the slide and ejected the second cartridge and it would fire ..... unfortunately every other shell.. shot about 100 shells thinking it was just stiff from sitting for fifty plus years. The RO came over and said his need HV ammo to be reliable.. I took it home and decided I needed to jump into the deep end and see what was affecting this Ruger. Somewhat apprehensively I took it apart using waxed dental floss to pull the hammer spring housing lever and was able to coax the hammer spring housing out.. Pulled bolt expecting a fouled up recoil spring or firing pin spring but they both looked good.. I then examined the hammer spring housing and found rust where the hammer strut goes into the housing ..External appearance of the Mk 1 looks liKe it was waiting to be shipped from Connecticut in 1965..Is this a common place for rust on mk 1’s ? I examined the housing and it appears that this is almost a sealed unit with pins that are staked in place.. I want to replace the spring because I think it is rusted out and not resetting the hammer for each shot. Can u take apart the hammer spring housing without damaging the part? Can you put it back together? I did look at after market replacements but would rather spend just a couple of bucks on a spring instead of the whole assembly. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-13-2019, 01:05 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass707 View Post
I want to replace the spring because I think it is rusted out and not resetting the hammer for each shot.
The hammer spring doesn't reset the hammer. It drives it forward to send the firing pin into the loaded shell rim. Changing this spring isn't going to fix your problem.

It sounds like your gun succeeds in loading the next round after one fires off, so changing to HV ammo isn't going to make any difference either.

From your description, either the hammer is following the bolt down (not cocking), or the hammer is cocking but the trigger is not resetting (limp trigger).

If it's not cocking, the problem is with the sear dragging or the sear spring is weak or bent. If the trigger is not resetting, the disconnector is dragging or the trigger spring is weak or gummed up.

You should start with taking the pistol apart for a thorough part by part cleaning. Ruger packs a lot of rust inhibiting grease into these pistols before they leave the factory. This needs to be cleaned out for reliable function. A very light coat of thin oil on moving parts or dry lube should let the parts move like they should.

While apart, check the parts and frame for burrs and/or leftover tooling marks or other rough surfaces. A little smoothing and polishing generally yields large increases in reliable function.

Give this a try and let us know how it goes.

BTW- Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new pistol! I'll bet it's very accurate.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:45 PM
Seabass707

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thks for the insight into the Mk 1’s action mechanisms.. it may be a few weeks before I can get it apart to look inside at the internal springs etc.. When I fired the second shot I seem to recall getting a hammer drop but no indentation on the cartridge. A slight pull back on the bolt ( 1/2 inch or so) would then give me a good firing pin strike. I could imagine the Mk 1 sitting for fifty years unloaded but cocked could be detrimental on spring tensions..

Last edited by Seabass707; 05-18-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2019, 07:35 PM
243winxb
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Spray with WD-40. Work action. Pull trigger. See if it helps.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:34 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
Spray with WD-40. Work action. Pull trigger. See if it helps.
Works as long as you get the WD-40 out of there before storage. Seems to dry with a varnishy residue.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:37 PM
schutzen-jager
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
contrary to the internet postings - it will not leave a residue unless all contaminants are not cleaned competely + flushed out before storing - varnish is usual dried grease or powder residue that was not completely removed -

Last edited by schutzen-jager; 09-16-2019 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling