Advice on a Kidd 10/22 rifle - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:48 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

After shooting some really nasty ammo that left a thick glob of lead fouling all the way around the chamber of every gun I shot it in - I agree that barrel cleaning has to be taken into account.

Sure - maybe you don't really have to go at a barrel often.... But when you have to do it you have to do it.

I get wanting to do Kidd's barrel system so you don't have to disturb the bedding.... BUT generally you gotta clean the action when you gotta clean the barrel.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:33 PM
homersapien
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have two 10/22s, one with a Kidd slip fit and one Supergrade. I prefer the Supergrade because of how easy it is to remove the barrel for cleaning. I don't use a Kidd stock, but modifying a B&C Anschutz style to allow for removing the barrel was easy enough. I almost never remove the action to clean it (I simply don't find it necessary with the ammo I shoot) so being able to pop off the barrel, run a couple of dry patches, and then re-attach in less than 5 minutes is a big deal.

A couple of other things that might help with the decision: firstly, there is a POI shift every time I remove/reattach the barrel. Period. End of sentence. That being said, with .22LR the way it is, there's a POI shift every time I take any of my 22s out. The Supergrade is no worse, no better.

Secondly, I don't think the Supergrade system has the most accuracy potential; I think the Ruger style slip fit system does. Here's why: my slip fit Kidd is an extremely tight fit with the receiver. I bet I could run it without the v-block attached. The Supergrade receiver has scallops that run parallel to the receiver at 12, 3, 6, and 9 oclock where the tenon fits. My guess is that they are there to make it easier to slip the barrel in/out. The result is that the tenon/receiver fit is loose - VERY loose - and there's no way that's good for harmonics.

I think the reason the Supergrade shoots as well as it does is because, in spite of the sloppy barrel fit, it has the extra long tenon, and also because Kidd makes nice barrels. I don't know if any of the 10/22 smiths make a Supergrade barrel, but it would nice to have an option for one that is longer and better fits the receiver.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:35 AM
timlt

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by homersapien View Post
I have two 10/22s, one with a Kidd slip fit and one Supergrade. I prefer the Supergrade because of how easy it is to remove the barrel for cleaning. I don't use a Kidd stock, but modifying a B&C Anschutz style to allow for removing the barrel was easy enough. I almost never remove the action to clean it (I simply don't find it necessary with the ammo I shoot) so being able to pop off the barrel, run a couple of dry patches, and then re-attach in less than 5 minutes is a big deal.

A couple of other things that might help with the decision: firstly, there is a POI shift every time I remove/reattach the barrel. Period. End of sentence. That being said, with .22LR the way it is, there's a POI shift every time I take any of my 22s out. The Supergrade is no worse, no better.

Secondly, I don't think the Supergrade system has the most accuracy potential; I think the Ruger style slip fit system does. Here's why: my slip fit Kidd is an extremely tight fit with the receiver. I bet I could run it without the v-block attached. The Supergrade receiver has scallops that run parallel to the receiver at 12, 3, 6, and 9 oclock where the tenon fits. My guess is that they are there to make it easier to slip the barrel in/out. The result is that the tenon/receiver fit is loose - VERY loose - and there's no way that's good for harmonics.

I think the reason the Supergrade shoots as well as it does is because, in spite of the sloppy barrel fit, it has the extra long tenon, and also because Kidd makes nice barrels. I don't know if any of the 10/22 smiths make a Supergrade barrel, but it would nice to have an option for one that is longer and better fits the receiver.
That is interesting feedback (your ideas about the accuracy potential of the 2 different slip fit systems)--I had not heard that before.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:25 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I don't believe one really is better than the other. I think it's more a matter of preference. It seems to me the only advantage of going with the interchangeable barrel system is the ease of cleaning. But how hard is it to clean a 10/22 anyway, especially when you have a rear cleaning hole in the receiver anyway. As far as changing out barrels, most people aren't going to be constantly changing barrels. If your barrel shoots great your probably not going to mess with it. And if it doesn't shoot then you find one that does, and when you do you leave it alone IMO. As far as the rear tang, I believe it is fairly significant. Having 2 hold down points is going to prevent your action from being able to rock up and down (however little of this may occur). This may not necessarily make the rifle more accurate but IMO it will make it more consistent which is just as important. Anyway good luck with whatever choice you make. Kidd makes an excellent product and I'm sure you'll be more than happy.

P.S. Go with the 2 stage trigger. Well worth the extra $100.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:39 PM
azguy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by homersapien View Post

Actually the Kidd Supergrade is superior to the Ruger slip fit. Here’s why. The two set screws that lock the Supergrade barrels into the receiver, both retain and positively locate the barrel against the upper fits in the receiver. This fit is the full length of the barrel tang and there is no V Block that could, and many times does, “pull” the barrel “down” in relation to true centerline. This doesn’t happen with the new Supergrade setup. Very well thought out system. I prefer a threaded barrel myself, as in the old Supergrade barreled receivers. But that threaded system, eliminates barrel changes pretty much. Different strokes for different folks I guess.