Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:04 PM
Eurydice

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jes View Post
When you say "not even close on the flag safety" I assume you me that you can't use the safety? It isn't close to clearing? I remember when you previously posted that rifle, beautiful, I very much enjoyed reading that thread. Would my new acquisition have a similar bolt throw and safety clearance to an MM410b, or are they totally different beasts in that respect?
They do have a similar bolt throw and safety clearance.
If you cannot move the safety in its vertical position, it won't be userfriendly (but possible) to disassemble the bolt, no issue to remove the bolt from the action.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:04 PM
jes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Years ago I had a mint mm410b with a factory mounted Zeiss ( one of those rifles that I let my self get talked out of and still regret) and the Zeiss, although not ideal as far as height, was useable, so if this rifle was similar, or maybe even a tad better if the bolt was ground, I think I might be able to live with it. I guess I'll assess it when it gets here and take it from there. Rifles like this one are meant to be shot, not mothballed in some closet or safe. Thanks very much for your input TBR, please don't hesitate to add any other thoughts regarding this rifle, I'm looking for opinions and ideas.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:07 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I would love to see pics. I have seen a rifle that received that very treatment, but, while the metalwork was very well done, the stock looked as if it had been designed and executed by a drunken Savage worker .

On the variations, just to clarify, I believe all the 34s were the same, with respect to ejection port shape and extractor. It was the 340Bs and 350Bs over time that had the variations. I would bet the MM410Bs and 420Bs were made over a briefer period of time and may all be the same. In any case, the 34, 340B, 350B, 420B, and 410B all share the same safety and bolt throw...at least that's my story .

TBR

Old 05-13-2019, 03:51 PM
Eurydice

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
I would love to see pics. I have seen a rifle that received that very treatment, but, while the metalwork was very well done, the stock looked as if it had been designed and executed by a drunken Savage worker .

On the variations, just to clarify, I believe all the 34s were the same, with respect to ejection port shape and extractor(1). It was the 340Bs and 350Bs over time that had the variations. I would bet the MM410Bs and 420Bs were made over a briefer period of time and may all be the same(2). In any case, the 34, 340B, 350B, 420B, and 410B all share the same safety and bolt throw...at least that's my story (3).

TBR
(1) add bolt end, rear and front sights (Jes's one should have a recessed front bolt). The third variation was produced around 1943 with a mix of pre and after 1936 parts
(2) the MM410 got two different stocks and marking. You're probably right concerning MS420B and MS350B as none of them faced with eagle proof
(3) It's mine as well but the bolt plug

Last edited by Eurydice; 05-13-2019 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Clarification on details
Old 05-13-2019, 04:26 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurydice View Post
They do have a similar bolt throw and safety clearance.
If you cannot move the safety in its vertical position, it won't be userfriendly (but possible) to disassemble the bolt, no issue to remove the bolt from the action.
Yes, I had forgotten about that. Enough clearance to function the bolt is one thing, enough clearance to remove the bolt is yet another thing. That will also require either higher rings or mounting so the ocular is far enough back to clear the retracted bolt for removal...easy to not realize that, only to find out you can't get your bolt out after getting everything so dialed in....don't ask how I know. I had the same issue with a 52 sporter I made. May not be a big deal for a rimfire sporter, though.

Jes, it sound like you are well familiar with the little "B" actions, so we may be preaching to the choir.

Good luck

TBR
Old 05-13-2019, 05:15 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Trying to post some pics of my little Erma Mauser contract .22

Old 05-13-2019, 05:25 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you can see it in my crappy pictures, the wing safety was made from scratch to swing from the bolt side and has a shorter throw than the original. A machinist buddy made it up for me, along with a few additional units for sale. Also, the claw extractor was broken on this unit when I bought it- this was a common problem with these and there weren't any replacement units available. My buddy also made up a bunch of these and sold them at a very nice profit margin.

Probably could have picked a better time to take pictures as the glare and mid day light is covering up some of the figure in this stock, which I've always liked but is only suitable for a rimfire as the grain is running exactly perpendicular to the grip area. I do have the mate to this piece of wood for an upcoming project....

Bob
Old 05-13-2019, 08:53 PM
jes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TBR I'm not that familiar with the Mauser rimfires, I owned the MM410b before I really knew anything about them, that's why I let it slip away. Most of what I know, I've learned on here from reading old posts. I'm very pleased to be receiving information from those of you who have actual experience with these rifles. I have a general love of vintage, quality rimfires, Walthers, Anschutz, Brno, etc. Bob, that's a beautiful 22, a real old school classic, thank you for sharing and the pictures look great to me. I don't suppose your friend has anymore safeties or extractors lying around looking for a good home?
Old 05-13-2019, 09:38 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
What about a long eye relief scope mounted forward of the bolt handle? In a pinch, I'd wager a shotgun scope would work well.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:43 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
TBR I'm not that familiar with the Mauser rimfires, I owned the MM410b before I really knew anything about them, that's why I let it slip away. Most of what I know, I've learned on here from reading old posts. I'm very pleased to be receiving information from those of you who have actual experience with these rifles. I have a general love of vintage, quality rimfires, Walthers, Anschutz, Brno, etc. Bob, that's a beautiful 22, a real old school classic, thank you for sharing and the pictures look great to me. I don't suppose your friend has anymore safeties or extractors lying around looking for a good home?
Sorry, no more of those parts available at the moment. I haven't been in touch with him for quite a while- long story....

Thanks for the kind words on the rifle. It actually looks much better in person and is one of my favorites. It has a very long barrel - 27" I believe- and even with long rifle ammo it is very quiet to shoot, and very accurate with good ammo...

Bob
Old 05-14-2019, 10:18 AM
jes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
dbmjr1 I wondered about that, I think a scout scope, although it would work, would ruin the looks of the rifle, but a scope with just enough eye relief to put it ahead of the bolt handle might work and still not look too bad? I would have to use some sort of a cantilever mount system. Will have to look into that.

Last edited by jes; 05-14-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:39 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
dbmjr1 I wondered about that, I think a scout scope, although it would work, would ruin the looks of the rifle, but a scope with just enough eye relief to put it ahead of the bolt handle might work and still not look too bad? I would have to use some sort of a cantilever mount system. Will have to look into that.
The problem is there is no where to place the rear ring when the ocular is over the receiver bridge, since the ocular would be as long as the bridge, so you would be forced to place both rings on the receiver ring (no room for that), or one on the ring and one out on the barrel using different height rings, which is what I ended up doing on a BSA Int'l sporter I'm making. You might find a very small scope, with a short ocular, and place the rings like this, but the turret will likely present a problem...there's just too little room and no really small (short) scopes out there:

The BSA:

The scout scope would look weird to me, as Jes indicates. I've done all the mental calisthenics on these Mausers and, bottom line, I think it would be very hard to mount a scope without it being perched very high over the receiver.

TBR

P.S. Jes, if you want to try one ring on the receiver ring and one out on the barrel, I still have one medium and one tall Talley ring each for the Anschutz dovetail that might work for you. You would have to be very creative in mounting the ring on the barrel to precisely match the height of the rear ring...don't ask me how I know I would be willing to donate them to the cause.

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 05-14-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:03 PM
jes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks you very much for the offer TBR, I'll think I'll wait and see what I can figure out once the rifle is in hand, right now it's mostly speculation. I'm not very good at picturing things, but what I was wonder about was a low cantilever mount, mounted on the rear of the receiver (since it has already been drilled & tapped) with the cantilever going forward over the ejection port and bridge and then using a long eye relief scope, Burris lists one with, I believe 8 to 14 inches of relief. This would allow me to put the ocular just ahead of the raised bolt? It wouldn't look great, but I think, if it worked, would be better than a scout mount on the barrel?
Old 05-14-2019, 01:50 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
You might get away with doing that, but the cantilever will need to be very thin while also being very rigid, to allow the ocular to sit low enough over the top of the receiver bridge. The Leupold 2.5X Leupold Ultralight has the smallest dimensions of any decent scope and has a short, small diameter ocular with fairly liberal eye relief. Looking at those dimensions and visualizing where the rings will need to be to avoid the turret will be the key. It will all get down to where that turret is going to fall in relation to the rings, since there is precious little room for the rings. Not having an objective bell will also help provide more latitude on positioning.

I have one of the 2.5X Leupolds, so I'll try to snap some pics with the scope superimposed over the petite Mauser action to help visualize the possibilities.

Good luck

TBR
Old 05-14-2019, 02:33 PM
jes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was looking at cantilever mounts and everything looked so bulky and "tactical", then a thought occurred to me that maybe if a person could mill a Leupold base for the Browning sa 22 and mount it backwards to the way it sits on the Browning, it might work. They are very svelte, should be long enough and then I could use whatever rimfire rings I wanted. I'm not sure that it would be rigid enough? If it did work, then it would be a matter of finding a scope with the proper eye relief, but I don't think that would be a problem.