Accuracy improvement by setting back and re-chambering? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:34 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Accuracy improvement by setting back and re-chambering?

Hey guys,

I see a whole bunch of posts from a couple years back by guys like Squasatch, Sawdust, and Nemo Hunter.... They were pulling old Marlin barrels, setting them back half an inch or so, cutting a new match chamber, and reinstalling...

Seems like interest sort of died out, though...:

How did that work out? Was it a fairly reliable way of tightening up the accuracy of these old Marlins? Was there a noticeable improvement in accuracy?

Any feedback on whether it worked better on microgroove or conventional rifled barrels?

I am looking at an old cheap bolt action 22 here locally and it has me thinking...
Old 04-30-2019, 04:30 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
I too, would be interested in knowing

I have bed several of the actions in the older70-80's bolts and have confirmed its usefulness for tightening shot groups. A lot of the old rigs had poor inletting where the trigger posts make contact with the wood.

Would be fun to go the next level though...I encourage you to give it a try.

Maranatha-
pipestone
Old 05-01-2019, 08:42 AM
tickridger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well fellas I think it will depend on how bad your rifle shoots now and how much improvement you expect to see. If it were me I would scope the barrel then start with floating, bedding and crowning. After this I would recheck accuracy before making the big leap. You could spend a lot of time and effort for very little gain.

John

Old 05-01-2019, 05:41 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's my question though. Sawdust and Squasatch said they did it to Glenfield/Marlin 25's and other Marlin bolt guns as well as old Savage Stevens bolt action rifles... I think NemoHunter was doing it for a while as well.

To me this sounds like an opportunity - as the Microgroove barrel was extensively tested by Marlin and proved a signicant improvement in accuracy over their standard rifled barrels - which often shot pretty awesome.

So how well do they shoot after being set back and rechambered with a match reamer? Is it Shilen/Lilja good or is it a little better than it was good or meh - sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:47 PM
JeepsAndGuns

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Probably the biggest thing would be finding a gunsmith willing and able to do this. From what I understand, the marlin barrels are pressed into the receivers and then pinned in place. How would one go about pressing the barrel out without hurting anything?
I too am interested in this, as it sounds very interesting. However I fear the cost of doing this could quickly reach the cost of the rifle itself, unless you could do everything yourself.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:27 PM
ferg
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
'Homework' is the key on such projects.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:33 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Exactly

There have been others here in the past that have put high end barrels on...thats what I wanted to do, but never did
Another thing that I wanted to do is email Randy at CPC...the 10/22 guy and inquire there, but never did

I have high end rifles that just set most the time while I shoot My JM Marlins, been favorable of them for many years...my little gathering of Marlins all will rat hole on paper and thats all I expect. I have done work on all of them except one to get them to do that...the one is a 72 Glenfield with squirrel stock, amazingly accurate for wood and metal touching

Continue on.....

Maranatha-
pipestone
Old 05-02-2019, 08:40 AM
tickridger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Time is a wasting. Pull out the pocketbook and forge ahead if that floats your boat. Just don't expect Anschutz accuracy.

John
Old 05-02-2019, 09:27 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's a link from our own Dynamic Duo here on the forum. Apparently the process is the same for almost every 22 with a pressed and pinned barrel or slip and pinned barrel.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=122733

I have my eyes on an old beat up JC Higgins version of a Marlin 122 auto-reset safety single shot... I am trying to hold out for a microgroove model like the Model 25 that Sawdust does his magic on...
Old 05-03-2019, 02:05 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Thanks for the link

Maranatha-
pipestone
Old 05-04-2019, 06:47 PM
JeepsAndGuns

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post
Here's a link from our own Dynamic Duo here on the forum. Apparently the process is the same for almost every 22 with a pressed and pinned barrel or slip and pinned barrel.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=122733

I have my eyes on an old beat up JC Higgins version of a Marlin 122 auto-reset safety single shot... I am trying to hold out for a microgroove model like the Model 25 that Sawdust does his magic on...
Very interesting, and seems like a cool project for us hobby gunsmiths. However it is a lot of work. I would really have to see some real "before and after" groups with a few different types of ammo to see if the improvements would be worth all the work.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:40 PM
shootrj2003
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is one thing if you glass bed ,pillar bed,do trigger work etc. you want,obviously ,accuracy,very seldom is one trick going to give you all the accuracy you are seeking,each little bit gives a little,if you have the cash and desire,a match chamber ,done by a knowledgable,capable gunsmith,nearly always gives some improvement and unless the smith totally screws it( as in totally unknowledgeable,totally incapable gunsmith) then the worst case is at least a little better tha the original chamber ,it's not that hard a job.You could have him thread the barrel and action too!go for it if you can!
Old 05-10-2019, 09:57 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
First you have to determine if the intended barrel is worth keeping.
The set back turning and fitting is basic on those. Consider how the slip-fit shank of the typical 10/22 is and know you can do better right off.
Picking the right chamber reamer and doing a Quality Reaming Job is trickier and will make or break it. For a bolt gun Id seriously consider the Win. 52 chamber but there are many. You will want to research chambers.
After/during that you will need to really consider the trigger; what can and cant be done.
Then, just what kind of a platform are you going to put that nice job into? Slapping it back in as is will probably result in a decrease of capability from what you have done.
My point is that the work and money involved will be much the same if you start with a piece of junk or a good gun but the good gun will become a better gun and the junk gun maybe a good gun. Maybe.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:52 AM
shootrj2003
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
And that depends on what you call a "junk" gun and what you consider a "good " gun.If you ask most gunsmiths ( and I am not disagreeing with them) good guns start at $500 and up (.22 LR.) .However ask the average Joe who shoots at paper and squirrels and wants to wring out the accuracy from his rifle ,good guns start at $150 used to $350 new ,we're talking factory Marlins ,Savage,Remington's etc..
My way of thinking is this,unless your a high edge competitor,a gunsmith "good" gun should ,for that money, already shoot aces and should not need anymore money invested in it. They should already be so accurate they are boring- no challenge there!
The challenge,is to take a common Joes gun,bought at a reasonable price,even an older used gun ,if neccesary,the cheaper the better( guys like ME!) and tweak it here, ,tighten it there sand it bed it,and wring the accuracy out of it ,and make it shoot as good as the " good" guns.do as much as possible yourself,and you learn and save $ .in the end you may, if you count your labor and investment come close to what a lower end good gun cost,BUT, you have gained an education about guns and you can do another for less,I have a whole collection of refugee guns and have turned some into real shooters with some work..22 "junk" guns rule.and you can afford them.
And Marlin barrels ,the older JM ones,were well known to be among the best barrels made.

Last edited by shootrj2003; 05-12-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:49 PM
jfleisc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post
Hey guys,

I see a whole bunch of posts from a couple years back by guys like Squasatch, Sawdust, and Nemo Hunter.... They were pulling old Marlin barrels, setting them back half an inch or so, cutting a new match chamber, and reinstalling...

Seems like interest sort of died out, though...:

How did that work out? Was it a fairly reliable way of tightening up the accuracy of these old Marlins? Was there a noticeable improvement in accuracy?

Any feedback on whether it worked better on microgroove or conventional rifled barrels?

I am looking at an old cheap bolt action 22 here locally and it has me thinking...
My understanding is that the MicroGroove barrels were designed to be 'as good as' their conventional rifled barrels but much easier (faster and cheaper) to make. I've tried the 'rechamber' trick with uncertain results. My feeling is a "cookie cutter" mass production barrel has its limitations and 'match grade' barrels are plentiful and reasonably priced. I've been using a PTG match chamber which is kind of "middle of the road" as far as match chambers go. It is considerably more difficult to chamber a round compared to a sporting chamber. The rifling engages the bullet half way down its sides and if you have a failure to fire will take a screw driver blade or cleaning rod to extract.
Even a match grade barrel is worthless without a good crown IMO. I also feel a tuner is a must for best accuracy and without one your gun might have the capability of being great just the barrel resonance might not match to your choice of ammunition. Below is my wife's 50 yd bench rest (Western Auto) model 20 Marlin with Green Mountain 24" barrel and Harrell tuner. Weaver 36x scope and my own stock. So far her best score with it was a 499 and 28x.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1178.jpg (523.1 KB, 13 views)