Any Henry pump 22WMR users? Good, bad, ugly? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:06 AM
Sid Post

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any Henry pump 22WMR users? Good, bad, ugly?

My dominate shoulder is a bit touchy after surgery. I have been trying to find a CZ 457 22WMR Varmint and its 60degree bolt throw without success. This has me thinking about either a Henery Lever small game rifle with Skinner sights or the pump alternative.

I'm not a meat hunter, I'm a predator eliminator so, I want more power and penetration than a 22lr without the over penetration and ricochet concerns of a centerfire rifle. 22 Hornet are too heavy and an AR-15 with 40gr loads is impressive but, way to 'high profile'.

How does the Henry Pump in 22WMR work out for everyone? Accurate enough? Scopes and/or iron sights good? Stiff to cycle or easy? Balanced, heavy, etc? Is it effective against aggressive dogs with less than perfect shot?

Or, should I stick with the proven 22WMR Small Game Rifle model H001TMRP?

TIA,
Sid
Old 03-08-2019, 08:41 AM
Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can't speak to good or bad of the Henry pump, but I can tell you this: the 22 WMR is a bad dude when properly applied to a "pest". I use CCI maxi-mag 40grn hp and the 40grn SGB have shot many, many larger pests with both of them and there is generally no follow up shot needed. Bang, flop, dead. The WMR will also give you about 50 yards on the LR. Good idea to limit shots on larger animals to about 125 yards. Further can be done (I have) but not recommended. In the past I have owned 3 Henry rifles in LR and 1 in WMR (Lever Carbine) and found every one of them accurate. I would expect the pump to be in the same class. If you do decide to buy one, I would recommend this scope to you: https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-6135.../dp/B01BNSHXOI . I have it on my WMR and it is excellent. Also, it isn't a great big scope so it doesn't seem to disrupt the lines of a nice rifle.

Hope this helps you some,

Mac
Old 03-08-2019, 09:08 AM
Sid Post

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Mac! Feedback like yours is SUPER HELPFUL!

Also, I'm looking at the Bushnell 2-7x36mm AR Optics Riflescopes, w/Drop Zone 22 LR Reticle, AR72736. The 2X on the low end should be great for FOV and close shots.

Last edited by Sid Post; 03-08-2019 at 09:15 AM.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:55 PM
Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sid, you're very welcome.

I will say that I like that scope a little better than the one I posted, since it has the AO knob on the side. Depending on how far you're going to shoot, I would also recommend a peep sight from either Skinner or Williams. I prefer Williams personally, and they have a model that will mount directly to the dovetail on the receiver. Of course if you shoot over 75 yards then I suggest a scope whole-heartedly.

If you have not owned a 22WMR before now, I think you will become a fan as soon as you shoot something with it. I'm still blown away by the power packed into that little cartridge.

Mac
Old 03-09-2019, 08:07 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22 magnum is a good varmit/pest round. I don't have a Henry chambered in 22 mag, but I do have several Winchester 9422 lever action magnums and they are my favorite guns.

I'm also a fan of Williams peep sights, although the FP-GR-TK model for grooved receivers is currently on back order everywhere.

Last edited by CamP; 03-09-2019 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:29 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
I have had both the Henry lever action and now own a pump, the pump is annoyingly rough, I have a Rossi M59 that is infinitely smoother and just as accurate. JME. The Henry needs to find a new home.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:30 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
my henry .22 LR pump

man sized , feels very solid ,well made. stiff pump action, you are moving a big bolt and cocking the hammer so it will never be a light pump action like a 572 Remington ! it does lighten up with lots of use. I have the octagon barrel made in 2012. I have 7 pump .22s, the henry is the only new one, other 6 are vintage, the henry, I hate to say, is my least favorite.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:06 PM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You have “shuck it “ like it’s rented
Old 03-09-2019, 03:19 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
like the old VW bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post
You have ďshuck it ď like itís rented
I was told to drive mine like I was mad at it and it would never fail me! I did and it didn't ! Henry pump needs FIRM pump and it keeps on going !
Old 03-09-2019, 03:50 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sid Post...of the two you listed, I would likely go with the small game rifle (or even better, the carbine). The action of Henry's lever guns is very slick and smooth. I have the H003TM pump... it is a nice rifle and good shooter, but the pump does require a fair bit of effort to cycle, and you'd be directing that effort right at your shoulder. That long octagon barrel has a bit of heft to it as well. Just something else to consider when thinking of your shoulder, and why I suggested the SGC over the SGR.
If you are open to a CZ, maybe consider the 512 semi-auto in WMR. They have proven to be reliable, accurate, and fun to shoot. I have 2 of them.

Last edited by roddy; 03-09-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmac View Post
I can't speak to good or bad of the Henry pump, but I can tell you this: the 22 WMR is a bad dude when properly applied to a "pest". I use CCI maxi-mag 40grn hp and the 40grn SGB have shot many, many larger pests with both of them and there is generally no follow up shot needed. Bang, flop, dead. The WMR will also give you about 50 yards on the LR. Good idea to limit shots on larger animals to about 125 yards. Further can be done (I have) but not recommended. In the past I have owned 3 Henry rifles in LR and 1 in WMR (Lever Carbine) and found every one of them accurate. I would expect the pump to be in the same class. If you do decide to buy one, I would recommend this scope to you: https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-6135.../dp/B01BNSHXOI . I have it on my WMR and it is excellent. Also, it isn't a great big scope so it doesn't seem to disrupt the lines of a nice rifle.

Hope this helps you some,

Mac
I have that scope on my Browning T-Bolt 22 WMR and for the money itís pretty clear and holds its zero... broke my 22 mag out today and shot 5 shots inside a nickel at 50 yards still dead on from last year... As far as the Henry my 22lr small game rifle is pretty accurate at 50 yards 5 shots in a quarter good enough to put a squirrel in the pot
Old 03-13-2019, 06:21 PM
Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BW,

I was turned on to that scope by a fellow rfc user when I bought my 10/22 sporter. I ordered it, and liked it so well that I put it on my 22 magnum and put a 3x9x40 Banner on the sporter! I also called Bushnell and they kindly sent me the turrets for 22 WMR as I had ordered the a17 version from cdnn sports. Both scopes are identical, however. They just use different turrets. All in all, I am very pleased with it. Its the first range adjustable scope I've owned, but won't be the last.

Mac
Old 03-15-2019, 05:45 AM
Nerostarr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sid Post, I have 2 lever Henry 22 mag rifles. The standard H001M and the SGC and both are fantastic shooters, very accurate and smooth. I researched the pump action before I bought, and I'm very glad I went with the lever. The SGC is what I would suggest, both mine are scoped with Bushnell banner 3-9x40 dusk to dawn scopes with DIP Picatinny rails. It's a very simple not expensive setup that really works well.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:07 AM
Sid Post

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerostarr View Post
Sid Post, I have 2 lever Henry 22 mag rifles. The standard H001M and the SGC and both are fantastic shooters, very accurate and smooth. I researched the pump action before I bought, and I'm very glad I went with the lever. The SGC is what I would suggest, both mine are scoped with Bushnell banner 3-9x40 dusk to dawn scopes with DIP Picatinny rails. It's a very simple not expensive setup that really works well.
Thanks Nero! The Small Game Rifle is the leading contender right now. Why did you go with the Picatinny rails? Don't the rifles have the 3/8ths groove for rimfire rings?

TIA,
Sid
Old 03-15-2019, 11:13 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the small game carbine in 22 magnum and am very happy with it. I changed out the butt stock with a youth and found it to be more comfortable for my short arms. I haven't shot peep sights before and am still working on them but have trifocals and found it to be different. I may end up scoping it but either way I like the gun alot and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. My only complaint so far is how easily the wood dings. I have read on here that some people had issues with the front sight being to short and others to tall.