10/22 Custom Shop Competition tear down, review, range report - Page 10 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:52 PM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Bigbore that is an impressive group and I can't say that it is a fluke as I have groups like that too. As for the ammo I believe SV might just be a no go with these rifles although the last time I had mine out it ran SV fine. I haven't been doing much shooting here recently though to be able ti give any real useful feedback. Thanks for keeping up the work.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:46 AM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Now that the weather has cleared up and longer days have arrived range time has been easier to come by. I have been able to start practicing more for NRL22 matches and even stretched it out to 200 and 300 yards. I also swapped from my 8-32x44 Mueller to a Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP with the R-Grid 2B reticle and boy it is a heck of a scope. Glass is crystal clear, reticle is crisp, color definition is good, and the clicks are solid. The reticle works great being FFP. At 4X the horshoe and chevron are very quick on target while 14X power allows you a very precise aiming point with the tip of the chevron and the grid being .5 mil subtensions allows for finer holds.

The rifle has been running pretty good and as you can see it has been wearing pretty well too. There were somewhere between 700 and 1k rounds since the last cleaning. The majority of those were high velocity with a few CCI standard velocity mixed in. The HV all ran great and for the most part the standard velocity did too. I decided to clean the rifle when it all of a sudden went from running fine to rounds would not chamber. After the cleaning though the rifle has gone back to functioning fine.

The paper target is a 5 shot group at 50yds shot from sandbags off the top of a 55gal drum using CCI SV. I was quite happy with it. The 200 yard group is after 5 rounds of figuring out the 7.5 mil hold and then I put 10/10 on it. The 300 yard group is just what I managed to get on the target in 20 rounds lol. Took 14.5 mils for 300, used SV for both distances. Silhouette is 7"x12" and the diamond is 6.5"x9".

Old 05-13-2019, 08:51 PM
Bigbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac Gunner View Post
Now that the weather has cleared up and longer days have arrived range time has been easier to come by. I have been able to start practicing more for NRL22 matches and even stretched it out to 200 and 300 yards. I also swapped from my 8-32x44 Mueller to a Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP with the R-Grid 2B reticle and boy it is a heck of a scope. Glass is crystal clear, reticle is crisp, color definition is good, and the clicks are solid. The reticle works great being FFP. At 4X the horshoe and chevron are very quick on target while 14X power allows you a very precise aiming point with the tip of the chevron and the grid being .5 mil subtensions allows for finer holds.

[/IMG]
There seems to be a good selection of high value scopes entering the market in the last couple of years. The Athlons are getting great reviews from the PRS crowd and I've heard other positive reviews of the Primary Arms. Great days to be shooting.

Way to stretch those Ruger legs!

May is a total bust for me, crazy busy! Obviously I'm lurking though.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:27 AM
Joshwa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow great review! I had a question that I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere... what does the barrel look like when it is removed? Does it have a flat spot on it for the top screw on the new barrel locator? Or can you change out the barrel to any other .920?
I was also wondering if my 4.5×18-40 bushnell would work on that 30moa pic rail. I shoot between 20 and 200 yards
Old 06-20-2019, 12:30 AM
Joshwa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stupid fat fingers 4.5-18×40 lol
Old 06-20-2019, 12:32 AM
Joshwa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow. For once it wasn't my fingers. My keyboard is screwed.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:25 PM
Joshwa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I finally got a chance to see one up close today, and the barrel has a small notch on the top for the new barrel locator. That kinda sucks.
In order to fit in any other barrel you would need to have a gunsmith modify it.
They should have just made it a threaded barrel.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:12 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You could file the receiver's guide if it is not visible.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:57 PM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Joshua sorry for the late reply. Glad you got your answer and really I don't see much of a need to worry about rebarreling this rifle unless you wanted to get a Shilen barrel blank fitted. If that was the case you could have the blank machined to fit the receiver.

As for the scope I'm not sure if it would work or not, I'm not that up to speed on how to calculate that.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:21 PM
Bigbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshwa View Post
I was also wondering if my 4.5—18-40 bushnell would work on that 30moa pic rail. I shoot between 20 and 200 yards
Joshwa, exactly which model Bushnell do you have? Lets see if we can get the documentation on the adjustment range and run the numbers.

Post the link to your exact scope on Optics Planet.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've taken mine out a few times and tried SK Rifle Match, Wolff Match Extra, and CCI SV. Right off the CCI SV jammed so often it wasn't worth the effort. However, after putting 50+ Wolff though it, the SV started feeding fine. I guess it just needed some Wolff wax in the action. After that first day, that's been a recurring theme. When SV does feed later in the session, it shoots about equal to the Wolff ME. I wish I could get it to feed SV right off, save some coin. After every session there are some lead flakes in the action and stuck on the bolt face. I'm pretty sure it's shaving the CCI SV even when it does feed.

Otherwise, I can't believe how well this rifle shoots. It has surpassed my expectations.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:03 PM
Tn-maddog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustysa4 View Post
I've taken mine out a few times and tried SK Rifle Match, Wolff Match Extra, and CCI SV. Right off the CCI SV jammed so often it wasn't worth the effort. However, after putting 50+ Wolff though it, the SV started feeding fine. I guess it just needed some Wolff wax in the action. After that first day, that's been a recurring theme. When SV does feed later in the session, it shoots about equal to the Wolff ME. I wish I could get it to feed SV right off, save some coin. After every session there are some lead flakes in the action and stuck on the bolt face. I'm pretty sure it's shaving the CCI SV even when it does feed.

Otherwise, I can't believe how well this rifle shoots. It has surpassed my expectations.
Mine just doesn't like CCI SV even after I sent it back and got a new barrel. It shoots SK Standard Plus and Wolf Match Extra really well though. The CCI SV just doesn't group good even when it feeds. I'm thinking (like you) that it is still shaving it even when it feeds and that is affecting accuracy.

I am really happy with my rifle. Just looking forward to cooler weather to get back to shooting it. The heat and humidity here just takes all the fun out of it.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:27 PM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That stinks you guys are still having problems with SV. Mine has been running everything just fine after the first 1k rounds or so. It was frustrating for a while but now it runs great and shoots the SV just fine. It will easily do, on the large side, .5" groups at 50yds with the SV. I have shot several groups smaller than that though.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:43 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbore View Post
...and the bolt lock design has changed from the part design in all of my other rifles.

This part caused an interesting issue when I added a Kidd Trigger Job kit to my CSC. Consider that normally the tail of the ABR lays across the hammer bushing when it's not engaged. Ruger's new design removes enough of the tail that the bottom of the spring retainer was pressing directly on the Kidd sear. The added resistance on the Kidd sear was enough to prevent the disconnector from resetting. It may have pressed on the BX parts as well, and I never noticed because the disconnector spring was heavy enough to overcome the extra resistance. Too lazy to check at the moment... 😁

I contacted Kidd to notify them of the issue. They sent me one of their ABR's and wouldn't let me pay them for it. Good folks. Using their traditional style ABR corrected the issue. I'm wondering if this new style of Ruger ABR is to further reduce the trigger weight of the BX trigger. I may have to pick up a pull gauge to compare the trigger weight with the different ABR's installed.

I guess the take away is: If you plan to add a Kidd Trigger Job kit to your CSC, also plan to replace the ABR with one that has a normal tail.

Last edited by Dustysa4; 08-20-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:41 PM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dustysa4 good information to know. I hadn't planned to add a trigger kit to mine but have considered sending it to Brimstone for a trigger job.