T/CR22 Just my luck - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:20 PM
4HDAD

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
T/CR22 Just my luck

Ordered the T/CR22 Tuesday night from Grab A Gun. Picked it up today from FFL (very fast shipping) and did a good cleaning as has been suggested here. Very well built and thought already having the hole drilled for cleaning from the chamber out was a nice addition. Anyway put it back in the stock mounted the Red/Green dot sight that came with it and getting ready for a range trip. All is well!! Then I noticed the saftey felt a little strange. Pushed it back and forth a time or two and it pushed past the detent. Tried to ease it back in place but it would not go. So I broke the trigger group down and the safety had a hole drilled in it to start the detent down and slide it back in place. I must have let it slack and move back just enough that I didnít feel I had lost tension on the pin punch and launched the spring and detent I guess to the moon!!. Havenít seen it since so guess I will be on the phone with T/C on Monday. Really like what Iíve seen so far and can't wait to shoot
Old 02-23-2019, 04:38 AM
Nerostarr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If it helps I think a 10/22 trigger group will drop right in there and mostly all the parts will to. So if you have a spare 10/22 trigger group laying around you could salvage the parts needed. If you use the complete 10/22 trigger assemble the LSHO won't work, but at least you can use it until you get the correct parts. Hope you get it up and running soon, they really are fantastic rifles and very accurate.

Last edited by Nerostarr; 02-23-2019 at 04:43 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:17 AM
4HDAD

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thanks Nerostarr, I do have a 10/22 trigger group. The safety on the R22 is a little bigger so I didnít take the spring and detent out. The trigger group did pin in place on the R22 but was a little tight so I didnít leave it in. I will call TC Monday morning and maybe we can just swap trigger groups and I want have to send the whole rifle back.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:09 PM
billmeek

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Other than loosing the last round hold-open, any 10/22 trigger will work with the T/CR22. I used a Kidd 2-stage trigger on my T/CR22 until moving it to a Kidd receiver.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:25 AM
4HDAD

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
UPDATE

Well my luck continues! I talked with TC on Monday and they didnít have the spring and detent but I could send it back for repair with a 6 to 8 week turn around. Didnít want to do that so I did take the spring and detent from a 10/22 trigger group I had and it worked fine. Mounted the red/green dot sight that came with it and off to the range. Put the suppressor on it and started shooting with CCI standard and had a couple of lite primmer strikes with FTF. Accuracy was 2Ē at 25 yards from a rest with a rear bag. Back home got 2 different proven scopes and basically the same results. Would only fire maybe 2 out of 10 ELEY Target and only marginally better with Match and Tenx. The only thing it would fire reliably was Federal Auto Match with no accuracy to speak of. Got a shipping label from TC and sent it back with a note and results from ammo I tested. Think the accuracy Would be fine for a beat around rifle but the lite primmer strikes with FTF was not going to work.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:34 PM
4HDAD

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Update Number 2

Well got the T/CR22 back from TC. 7 weeks but they replaced the barrel and ran several mags through it. Took it to the range with the peep sight and all I had time to do was just a couple of magazines and it appeared to be fine. Put a Weaver Classic 4x on it and finally got back to the range. Didnít have an issue or FTF until about 50 shots with CCI standard velocity. Accuracy will plenty good for what I wanted. FTFs got to be about 1 out of 10 with CCIs. Had a box of ELEY Target and it was just like before. 3 out of 10 would not fire. Called TC and it was received back at the factory today. Iíve not heard this from anyone else so again ďjust my luckĒ!
Old 05-06-2019, 05:04 PM
Thomasconnor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (76)
FWIW...Tom

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1140017
Old 05-10-2019, 08:22 AM
4HDAD

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thanks for the link. Sounds like what my rifles doing. Havenít heard back from the second return to the factory but hope to get something any day. The customer service folks Iíve talked with have been nothing but first class. They want to resolve the issue as bad as I do..

Howís your rifle shot since they repaired it?
Old 05-15-2019, 05:24 PM
4HDAD

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Update

Got the T CR22 back for the second time yesterday. The repair sheet said they evaluated and test fired and it passed range test. They sent a magazine with it and Iím appreciative for the extra mag. Put the scope on it and went to the range this morning. I only took ELEY ammo because thatís what it was having the most FTFs with. First five with the new magazine shot perfect then a lite primer strike and FTF. First mag was 6 out of 10 rounds fired. Go to the other mag and it had 8 out of 10 that fired. Called TC and they said I should try CCI mini mags. Thatís what they shot for test. Said I could send it back and thatís all they would do and if it shot 40 times they would box it back up and send it back. Didnít realize it was ammo specific. I have other rifle that shoot some brands better than others but they all shoot. It looks to me like the firing pin isnít coming out far enough compared with a 10/22 but not sure if thatís a fair comparison. 10/22 comes out .022 and the R22 only .015. Again not sure thatís a fair comparison but I canít find any dimensions on the R22. Called TC back and ask if their was a measurement and was told they didnít have that measurement or the over all length of the firing pin and if they did they wouldnít give it to a customer. My question is are their any after market firing pins?

I have 2 Contenders, Encore and a R55. All wonderful firearms and the folks in customer service are very nice just not helpful. At least with this rifle..

Thanks for any help/guidance
Old 05-16-2019, 08:48 PM
billmeek

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HDAD View Post
It looks to me like the firing pin isnít coming out far enough compared with a 10/22 but not sure if thatís a fair comparison.
The quote above leads me to believe that you may also have a 10/22. If so, pull the bolt from the 10/22 and put it in the T/CR22 to test. If you don't have issues after the bolt change, you can tell Thompson Center that it's only when running their bolt/firing pin that you are having an issue with failure-to-fire.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:36 AM
4HDAD

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thanks Bill, I ordered a Kidd firing pin and think thatís my problem. Looks like it may take a little fitting but should work. I will put the 10/22 bolt and tigger in and test that while waiting on the other firing pin.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:29 AM
4HDAD

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Worked Perfect

Put the 10/22 trigger group and bolt in the R22 over the weekend as Bill suggested. Got a chance to shoot last evening and it shot 30 out of 30 with no malfunction or Failure to Fire. I only tried ELEY Target since this was the ammo that it would at best fire 14 out of 20 with TC bolt and trigger group. Not sure why TC chose not to replace firing pin or bolt. Guess they thought I could figure it out myself!!
Old 05-22-2019, 01:02 AM
billmeek

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Let us know if the Kidd firing pin resolves the issue. I'd be tempted to get Thompson Center to replace the bolt/firing pin.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:33 AM
4HDAD

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I plan on calling them today but from the previous calls not sure they will do anything. I would prefer them replace the bolt as well. Itís shooting any ammo I load with the 10/22 bolt and trigger.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:02 PM
4HDAD

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Finale update on this rifle

So I called TC and told them I replaced the factory trigger group and bolt with a 10/22 I had. Told them it ran perfect and ask if I sent it in would they replace those parts. They said I could send it back and they would function test and if it shot they would send it back. I wasnít going to take a chance on sending it in for the 3rd time and getting it back in the same condition. When I questioned again what I replaced they said I send in that information with the rifle and they would take it into consideration.

Kidd firing pin came Saturday and I replace the factory TC pin and got to the range yesterday morning. Ran 130 rounds through it and had no problems with the 4 different ammo brands it was having trouble with.

Long story short for $28.95 out of pocket on a new rifle I think I finally have a neat little rifle to have around. This was my first Kidd purchase and the firing pin was well made and solved my problem. As for TC customer service Iím not sure what to think!