HS Sentinel shoots high - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:06 PM
REA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HS Sentinel shoots high

Is there a higher front sight that will work on this revolver? It shoots about 6" high. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:32 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Six inches high at what distance? The usual 25 yards? The Sentinel manuals I've seen state that they are sighted for 50 feet. That should drop your height to somewhere closer to 4 inches, which doesn't help much, just information.

Your front sight may have been filed down sometime in its history. Only way to be sure is knowing the blade height of a Sentinel that shoots well, then measure yours. Anybody out there that can give that height?

Numrich lists several Sentinel front sights for about $12. They are new reproductions, so would be at new height. The first Sentinels, R-100 and R-101, had screw mounted front sights. The R-102 to R-108 had pressed in sights. They should be a simple, inexpensive job for a smith to do.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/379090F

I once had two R-107s. Both shot about 2 inches high at 50 feet. I still enjoyed them, but the cranes were worn loose where they pivot and the cylinders would slide off of them completely...
Old 01-31-2019, 02:58 PM
AeroE

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Duramatic with the same problem. A couple years back I made a 0.010 stainless steel sight that wraps around the aft end of the factory sight; this is the sight for the "long barrel" with the vertical aft face.

I have some brass shim stock sitting on the table to make a new version from thinner stock, and I think I'm going to add a filler over the top of the sight blade on this one. I'll probably use it as is instead of blackening the brass; we'll see.

I can't find a photo of the long barrel sight. Numrich has numerous blades for short barrels.

I made a paper sight first to determine whether I wanted to continue with the modification. Here's how -
Cut a rectangular piece of paper, then fold the paper around the blade with the folds at the aft end.
Draw a nice curved shape for the fore part of the sight, either to more or less match the existing sight, or one that you like.
Make a copy, this will be your pattern if you decide to make a metal version.

Attach the cover to the sight, shoot, then trim it down until the gun is zeroed.

Here's an example used on lever action rifles, and I see they're making one for handguns now, too:

http://www.slickmagicguns.com/tp.gif

http://www.slickmagicguns.com/SureHitSights.html

The sight on my Duramatic is 0.128 inches thick. The other option is to make a new sight to solder into the existing slot. Probably more scary sounding than reality.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:04 PM
REA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Those are good suggestions.
Yes out to 25 yards
Two sights listed look like they might work. They don't say anything about there measurements but a call should take care of that.
It will be awhile till I can do anything about it.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:33 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Is the thing grouping accurate enough at that distance to really matter? The one I tried wasnt, it was basically a point and shoot snubbie.
Have you tried different types of ammo? Different velo's and/or bullet weights can help some.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:35 PM
REA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes on the ammo. Yes on the accuracy.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:42 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Degrease and Epoxy something on top of your front sight to try out with your ammo of choice. It may make it usable for even more than a tryout or, at least, give you the info on the height you really need.
Fwiw, I ran just such for a few years until I found 'just the right sight'.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:12 AM
FuzzyVision

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Degrease and Epoxy something on top of your front sight to try out with your ammo of choice....
This JBWeld stuff can be hand molded, then filed and shaped after it sets. I've used it in challenging situations, like repairing a broken muffler on a two stroke leaf blower. A friend repaired a hole in his oil pan so he could drive out of the back country.

https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8267.../dp/B000786GLM
Old 02-02-2019, 04:49 PM
bczrx
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by REA View Post
Yes on the ammo. Yes on the accuracy.
When you say 'yes on the ammo'- were they all high speed, like MiniMag?

or were some also standard velocity?

If you have only tried one velocity range [like HS], then there is still a chance another might behave differently.

I remember realizing that I had to use high velocity ammo in my Star Model F to get it to hit where I thought I was aiming, as SV would impact differently. I remember thinking I would stick with SV ammo on this 1957 handgun, but I couldn't get the right groupings.

If I recall right- I was getting 1-1.5" vertical differences. What I cannot remember is if the SV was hitting higher or lower. I believe it was higher. This was at 7 yards.

At 25, that could be a 6" difference.

So- I recommend being very certain you tried BOTH SV and HV ammo- and not just trying different brands/weights of ONE of those velocity levels.

I have a sentinel deluxe with 4" barrel, but have only tried HV ammo and don't recall getting that size difference off aim. Again, I use 7 yards the most for shooting.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:00 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Iirc old Fitz (J.H. FitzGerald) that worked for Colt's back in the day targeted those revolvers at 15yd. I typically like hits to be just above the tip of the front sight at 20 unless it is for my 50yd. guns.
Some like to hold at 6:00 on whatever their target is, so if it is a 6" bull with a 6:00 hold 3" high would make for center hits. Gotta figure the sight pic you want for X distance with the ammo you will be using.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:23 PM
biblethumpncop
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Send a message via AIM to biblethumpncop
I have a R-107 4” that I haven’t shot yet, but here is how a previous owner modified the sights:

Since the Sentinel was made with a 2.5”, 4” and a 6” did they use the same height front sight for all? Or can we put a 2.5” version on the 4”? That might be taller?

Last edited by biblethumpncop; 02-02-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:18 PM
mr alexander

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
HS Sentinel shoots high

Quote:
Originally Posted by REA View Post
Those are good suggestions.
Yes out to 25 yards
Two sights listed look like they might work. They don't say anything about there measurements but a call should take care of that.
It will be awhile till I can do anything about it.
REA,

Here's a mathematical formula that can be used to determine the correct

amount that the existing front sight must be raised to solve your problem:

Height Increase = Sight Radius x Impact Error / Range

Height Increase = Amount Front Sight Needs To Be Raised

Sight Radius = Distance Between Front And Rear Sights

Impact Error = Amount Of Error On The Target

Range = Distance To The Target

Plugging the known values from your posting into the formula:

Height Increase = 5" x 6" / 900" = 0.033" (Equivalent to 1/32 of an inch)

Notice how all of the values must be converted into inches. Not being

familiar with Sentinels, I took a guess at the value for the Sight Radius.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:42 PM
REA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That should help.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:35 PM
RAMS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What size group at 25 yds would you folks require from an adjustable sighted 4-inch Sentinel MK I or IV to consider it an "accurate" revolver: 3/4 inch, one inch, one and a quarter inch, etc.?
Assume, of course, that you are using the gun's favored ammo and are shooting from a solid rest like sand bags. Also assume that you are shooting at a distance of only 5 yds (for an excellent sight picture), and then multiplying that 5-yd group times 5 for a good estimate of what the gun is capable of.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:56 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
For something 'better' than a service revolver size or snubby 1" per 10yds is pretty good; ie then, 1.5" @ 15, 2" @ 20, 2.5" @ 25.
From my experience with only one HS Sentinal about 30 years ago I had about double the above.
It was in no way a Bullseye target gun and I considered it not suitable for small game.
Your gun in your hand may be different.