Why shoot silhouettes? - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:16 PM
4eyes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

What got me started? Guy told me it was the best practice for hunting

We shoot 22's every Monday night and rotate each week through the month with open sight rifles, scoped rifles, pistols, and bench rest. We're not strict on classes, there will be everything from Romanian trainers to Anschutz on the line and the value of the gun does not always predict the winner. Not to strict on rules either, if you want to use shooting sticks, go ahead, but you will be teased.

There's about six of us that are regulars. We encourage friends, children, wives and girl friends to attend. Joking and teasing, an important part of each event, is calibrated to the company present. I wouldn't worry about attracting too many shooters. Eight is the perfect number as everyone gets to move through the animals with five shots each rotation.

Equipment- if you don't have it someone will loan it to you.

If you're ever near Gypsum CO on a Monday night stop in. It's free and we'd like to show you how awesome cowboys can shoot
Old 07-25-2018, 07:36 AM
stevenh

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd S. View Post
You might try having some 1/2 scale matches, using the animals from Cowboy Silhouettes, at the same distances. Non-sanctioned, of course, but a lot of fun. These targets are much bigger than the 1/5 scale ones used in rimfire silhouettes, easier to hit and not as likely to discourage people. Do this for awhile and you might spark some interest in shooting regular silhouette matches. We do this at our club and have a good turnout. Separate classes for iron sights and scope, kids get to shoot off a rest. They usually beat their parents handily.
This worked like a charm at our club. We have 450 or so members and silhouette shooting was almost dead. These changes were made and we now get 16-24 shooters for our monthly shoots. We have two banks of targets and can handle up to three relays in about two hours of shooting. Just enough time so all us old folks can get home for their naps. We also have golf carts for the target setters so no one has to walk and work too hard, especially in the Texas heat. We developed a home grown handicap system and award a prize (their $5 entry fee returned) for each class (open sights, scope sights and handicap). We also still give out the 5 and 10 in a row pins. You would be surprised how these little pins keep folks coming back. It's all great fun, lots of good ribbing going on and nobody gets intimidated by the experienced shooters since they don't get a handicap. Works for us to get folks out to shoot.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:40 AM
Fynn
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is a range about 1.5 hrs away from me that does silhouette and I believe they offer informal matches using 1/2 size targets for those getting started. For those of us who are inexperienced but excited about the sport, I think it will help to start out like this and work my way up the difficulty chain.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:19 AM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRUGL4X'SC View Post
Sounds as boring as dry fire practice.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
I'm sure you didn't intend it that way, but your comment is really insulting. Maybe you should try this before you condemn it--it's really more challenging than you think, and can really stir up some interest. Half scale silhouettes is a family sport, and is a great way to bring the kids into our sport.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:09 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Sorry, went back and reread it, do you like training wheels on your 10 speed better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd S. View Post
I'm sure you didn't intend it that way, but your comment is really insulting. Maybe you should try this before you condemn it--it's really more challenging than you think, and can really stir up some interest. Half scale silhouettes is a family sport, and is a great way to bring the kids into our sport.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:05 PM
Infidel
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRUGL4X'SC View Post
Sorry, went back and reread it, do you like training wheels on your 10 speed better?

So, did you leave the rest of the horse tied up outside?
Old 08-16-2018, 03:36 PM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
OK, guys. That was very funny. Now let's try to play nice or play somewhere else, please.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:31 PM
teetertotter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Why shoot Silhouette, b/c it is most challenging. Yup, it is a pretty hard sport with to many variable factors? Either you like it or you don't. Whether you want to practice or you don't. Whether you want to read about the mechanics to improve or you don't. Whether you want to learn or you don't.

How often do we take the time, after a shoot, to talk with the individual to ask them if they would like some basics b/4 they shoot. Get some kind of interaction with them. Lets say, balance point of the rifle[Hold], firm against the shoulder, stance, finger trigger position, take some deep breaths. Give them a few pointers to think about. If they arrive early, give them some pointers. If we truly acknowledged them with engaging in some meaningful conversation about our sport.....would that help them to come back? Do you think they would be intimidated?

Last edited by teetertotter; 08-17-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:17 AM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetertotter View Post
Why shoot Silhouette, b/c it is most challenging. Yup, it is a pretty hard sport with to many variable factors? Either you like it or you don't. Whether you want to practice or you don't. Whether you want to read about the mechanics to improve or you don't. Whether you want to learn or you don't.

How often do we take the time, after a shoot, to talk with the individual to ask them if they would like some basics b/4 they shoot. Get some kind of interaction with them. Lets say, balance point of the rifle[Hold], firm against the shoulder, stance, finger trigger position, take some deep breaths. Give them a few pointers to think about. If they arrive early, give them some pointers. If we truly acknowledged them with engaging in some meaningful conversation about our sport.....would that help them to come back? Do you think they would be intimidated?
Offering to spot for a new shooter is often appreciated. Spotting helps them get a few targets and is just a friendly way to get acquainted.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:59 PM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My wife wife and I started shooting lever action silhouette matches 2 years ago. We were very lucky when we stumbled into a monthly match at Haltom City gun club here in Texas. Several of the regulars are current and former national champions and they welcomed us with open arms. They've been extremely helpful teaching us all aspects of the game.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:33 AM
jbmarshtx

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Haltom City

Do they still shoot silhouette there at Haltom city, smallbore?

Doubt I'd go, but would consider it as it's only an hour from my folks if I were visiting them on a weekend.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:25 PM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmarshtx View Post
Do they still shoot silhouette there at Haltom city, smallbore?

Doubt I'd go, but would consider it as it's only an hour from my folks if I were visiting them on a weekend.
Not sure about smallbore rifle matches.

They shoot lever action smallbore and pistol cartridge matches every 2nd Saturday. They'll allow you to shoot a scoped 22, for fun, but no prize money.

Their lever action match is great.

Last edited by CamP; 08-23-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:38 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Sorry to hijack the thread but I've created a Google calendar with all the silhouette matches in the state of Texas (at least the ones I can find).

https://tinyurl.com/y7nagatc

If anyone knows who the contact person would be for the Haltom City matches I would love to add that info to the listing. Their website doesn't seem to offer that info unless you're a member of the club with a login and password.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:04 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acorneau View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread but I've created a Google calendar with all the silhouette matches in the state of Texas (at least the ones I can find).

https://tinyurl.com/y7nagatc

If anyone knows who the contact person would be for the Haltom City matches I would love to add that info to the listing. Their website doesn't seem to offer that info unless you're a member of the club with a login and password.
You may also want to put that here:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...splay.php?f=36

Old 08-24-2018, 09:10 PM
manicmechanic

UNIVERSITY OF HARD KNOCKS - MILVERTON, ONTARIO CAMPUS
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Why do I shoot silhouette?

Our local rod & gun club runs an early spring biathlon style cross country shoot. Back in the mid 90's six new faces showed up for this team event... and swept the top three spots by a fair margin.

Over some beer and burgers after the prizes were awarded, I quizzed them where they learned to shoot so well offhand. After they explained the silhouette game, they invited anyone interested to come out and give it a whirl.

Well, that was 20+ years ago (not sure how many cases of ammo). My scores have dropped the last few years as I don't get out to practice, other than the pre-match warm up,but still enjoy it and the great folks I have met.

Ridgeway Pa. smallbore and highpower silhouette, and the varmint benchrest matches are on my bucket lists...

Tom