any cartridge collectors here? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:40 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
any cartridge collectors here?

Across the street neighbor came over this evening and gave this old box of cartridges, box is full, cartridges are original. On the bottom of the box is marked with some sort of crayon or marker, 1.70. Note they are "mushroom bullets", meaning hollow points. Also, "smokeless" "non-corrosive"
cartridges. Make me think these might be pre-WWII.

Can anyone give me an age estimate on these, also what might be the value if any? Thanks.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:50 PM
Rhody
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Neat old box of ammo!

I don't think they are super old, you may be right thinking 1920s or 1930s. Just a guess on my part.

I did find this though:

http://cartridgecollectors.org/?page...idge-Box-Dates

A quick search of auctions showed $60-$125 depending on the condition of box and ammo.

https://mobile.gunauction.com/displa...emnum=12608941

R

Last edited by Rhody; 05-10-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:34 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New box of 25-20 is probably $60. Your neighbor handed you $100. Sell them on gun broker and see how high the bid goes. Should be interesting.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:34 AM
Cold Bore

TPC Rating: 
97% (31)
"Mushroom bullets"

I had never seen that before. That's cool.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:20 AM
Pappy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm not a collector but do have this;
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2018-05-11 08:16:46.png (207.2 KB, 566 views)

Sent from my keyboard using Hunt-n-Tap.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:41 AM
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Not much of a collector either, but I have picked up a couple boxes, one Remington KleanBore SV [green box], and a box of Peters Target SV [red box, black lettering] just for nostalgia's sake. I thought I also had a circa 1950 box of Winchester Super X, but didn't see them in the safe, so I might have shot them.

I found a cartridge case a few weeks ago near Tacopa, CA on the Resting Springs ranch. It is a .41 cal. made by Winchester Repeating Arms Co.. I haven't the slightest idea how old it is, but my nephew and I found 3 lying on the ground on a talus slope above the ranch.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Anybody have any ideas on this old shell, I sure would be glad to know how long it might have been lying on that slope. The ranch has been in existence since about 1850 or so, and in my past sister's husband's family since about 1900 or so.

VH
Old 05-11-2018, 12:02 PM
cdiver2
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
It’s a 41 Long Double Action.

First made for the Colt “Thunderer” double action revolver that was introduced in 1877.

The first ones were outside lubricated with a case length of .935" Later ones were inside lubricated with a case length of 1.130" The early ones were a true 41 caliber while the later ones had a bullet diameter of .386".

I cannot say what the age of your particular case is. They are fairly common cartridges. The long-cased version is commonly called the 41 Long Colt. There is also a 41 Short Double Action.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:55 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmit hunter67 View Post
I found a cartridge case a few weeks ago near Tacopa, CA on the Resting Springs ranch. It is a .41 cal. made by Winchester Repeating Arms Co.. I haven't the slightest idea how old it is, but my nephew and I found 3 lying on the ground on a talus slope above the ranch.

The W.R.A.Co. headstamp was used from 1878-1931.

≡✪≡
Old 05-13-2018, 07:31 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the information! The cartridge pictured is the 1.130 inch. I am not up on the long Colt cartridges. Is there both a .41 long Colt and a .45 long Colt?

I found one reference to the cartridge when I was looking for it. It was listed as a synonym for the .44- 40 cartridge used in the Mdl 1876 and then in the Mdl 1886 in 44-60.

I was wondering if the cartridge came about as the use of smokeless powder became more common place after about 1890 or so, but that is obviously not the case. (pun)

Would you share the reference you have for the cartridge? I would like to have it and also to send it on to my nephew(s) who are also ardent shooters. The younger one is also a black powder shooter. He has made a replica of the Navy revolver, .44 (?) and a .50 cal Kentucky rifle, both from kits. I have the (?) mark because I am trying to pull from memory the caliber of the Navy cap & ball.

The RS's ranch has been in my (passed) sister's husband's family since about 1900. You can google a lot of information on it, but short story, it is the site of about the only fresh water spring(s) along the old Santa Fe trail. Borax and lead were mined in the late 1800's and borax into the 1900's.

The ranch was in a trust for my sister after her husband passed away in 2005. With her passing last fall, the trust was nullified, and the Godshall family are now the owners. That is my best explanation anyway. Her husband planted several hundred palms on the ranch which were watered by a dripline system from one of the springs. A very interesting history all told.

I am fortunate to have her husband's grandfather's S&W 2nc Mdl Hand Eject in .32-20. My sister gave it to me several years ago. It is in really great shape, but the bluing wear on the pistol shows it was carried in a holster a good bit. The original owner was a mining engineer/prospector and traveled around the Az, Nv, Ca area looking for profitable mineral sites. This would have been in the early 1900's as the pistol's serial # shows it was made in 1913.
[IMG][/IMG]

VH
Old 05-13-2018, 06:00 PM
cdiver2

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Varmit go to this web sight http://cartridgecollectors.org/ once there click on forum when the next page comes up scroll to the bottom and click on click to enter ****** there you can post and ask questions. Also a great sight to explore and learn about ammunition and its history
Old 05-13-2018, 09:47 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've been a cartridge collector since 1962 and a member of that organization for decades...great site!

My collection is over 72,000 rounds.

Nice old revolver!

≡✪≡
Old 05-14-2018, 02:41 AM
cdiver2

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
PS W.R.A.Co = Winchester Repeating Arms Co.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:10 AM
DRS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork View Post
Across the street neighbor came over this evening and gave this old box of cartridges, box is full, cartridges are original. On the bottom of the box is marked with some sort of crayon or marker, 1.70. Note they are "mushroom bullets", meaning hollow points. Also, "smokeless" "non-corrosive"
cartridges. Make me think these might be pre-WWII.

Can anyone give me an age estimate on these, also what might be the value if any? Thanks.
I don't think your box of .25-20 shells are pre-WW-2. I'd say they were produced back in the early to mid 1950's. Back then the cost of such cartridges were priced around $6.40/box of 50; as to their value, I would place it between $75 to $85 depending on condition. Also Remington and Winchester dropped the 60 grain load back in the 1970's.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:37 PM
shirtz1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I only wish my lovely GF's Dad was still alive. He worked for Rem ammunition before and after WW11. I have a few of his historic weapons returned from Germany, and some boxes of old UMC and Rem. One, a steel box with a print of the old Rem print on the side. ""Rimfire 22 long rifle 475 rounds, still full. He knew his ammo, retired in '79 as the head of the ballistics Dept.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:52 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 View Post
I've been a cartridge collector since 1962 and a member of that organization for decades...great site!

My collection is over 72,000 rounds.

Nice old revolver!
How in the world do you keep track of that many?? Surely some of them must be duplicates. What would be the number based on individual or unique calibers?

I have trouble keeping my gun and (minimal) coin collection up to date.

VH :man: