.54 cal. TC kit gun hawkin - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:01 PM
zingbee
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Pedersoli (Italian) has quite a few available in .32. Very well made rifles.

Around 1976, I wanted to start muzzleloading to hunt deer. In NY at that time you had to use round patched ball, minimum of .45. I looked at the T/C but it had a 1 in 48 twist which was more suitable for cast solids.

CVA came out with the Mountain Rifle. I bought a kit in .50. The twist was 1 in 66, better suited for round patched ball. I think it was $99.00. It was one of the older models with the Douglas (made in USA) barrels and a maple stock. Later models changed a lot and I'm glad I got it when I did. I used only hand tools to shape the stock. draw file the flats etc.. Browned all the iron parts. Used Aquafortis to stain the stock and bring out what little curl was in the wood. BC Tru-oil finished the stock. Took about two weeks to complete.

It was and still is a shooter. Never got a deer with it but many a woodchuck fell to that .490 ball over 60 grains. Out to 75 yards they were dead.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:43 PM
Bob4BVM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zingbee View Post

Around 1976, I wanted to start muzzleloading to hunt deer. In NY at that time you had to use round patched ball, minimum of .45. I looked at the T/C but it had a 1 in 48 twist which was more suitable for cast solids.

CVA came out with the Mountain Rifle. I bought a kit in .50. The twist was 1 in 66, better suited for round patched ball. I think it was $99.00. It was one of the older models with the Douglas (made in USA) barrels and a maple stock. Later models changed a lot and I'm glad I got it when I did. I used only hand tools to shape the stock. draw file the flats etc.. Browned all the iron parts. Used Aquafortis to stain the stock and bring out what little curl was in the wood. BC Tru-oil finished the stock. Took about two weeks to complete.

It was and still is a shooter. Never got a deer with it but many a woodchuck fell to that .490 ball over 60 grains. Out to 75 yards they were dead.
Hey woodchuck aint bad eatin neither, iffun ya cook em right !
Old 03-27-2018, 01:45 PM
Bob4BVM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushka View Post
A traditions productions. 32 inch barrel. Longer than what I like but what they hay.
Long ?
Hey what's not to like ??

Last edited by Bob4BVM; 03-27-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:20 PM
mushka
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is one snazzy lookin rifle. What caliber is it? The second picture made me want to go out and make some of my own smoke. Alas, can't make it til tomorrow.

I ordered two rifles last week, and one of them arrived Friday, and the other Saturday. Fridays was a Traditions .50 Hawkin and Saturdays was a Traditions .32 cal called the Davey Crockett. I'm now the proud owner of six black powder rifles. a .54 TC, .36 TC, .50 Traditions, 32 Traditions, 45-100 C. Sharps BP cartridge, and a 1873 Springfield Carbine. I'm going to try and settle into the BP crowd for awhile and get away from the fast shooters. Just a change for awhile, don't know how long it will last.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:39 PM
tfrank
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Does it look like this one???

Quote:

Does it look like this one??? Broke the original wooden ramrod and replaced it with a black plastic coated fiberglass ramrod. I did salvage the ends off of the original ramrod and put them on the new ramrod!!! Browned mine also as that would have been the correct finish for that era

Bought the kit from... J C Penny sometime in the mid 70's. Stamped big and bold on the barrel was "Made in the USA"!!! I was going to get all three calibers in the Mountain Rifle line and my brother bought me the 54 caliber mountain rifle for Christmas and stamped on the barrel in small letters was "Made in Spain" Upset me greatly and I later sold that rifle, never having fired it. But my CVA kit Mountain Rifle... don't think I will ever sell that one.
God Bless, Frank.

Last edited by tfrank; 03-27-2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:25 PM
Bob4BVM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushka View Post
That is one snazzy lookin rifle. What caliber is it? The second picture made me want to go out and make some of my own smoke. Alas, can't make it til tomorrow.

I ordered two rifles last week, and one of them arrived Friday, and the other Saturday. Fridays was a Traditions .50 Hawkin and Saturdays was a Traditions .32 cal called the Davey Crockett. I'm now the proud owner of six black powder rifles. a .54 TC, .36 TC, .50 Traditions, 32 Traditions, 45-100 C. Sharps BP cartridge, and a 1873 Springfield Carbine. I'm going to try and settle into the BP crowd for awhile and get away from the fast shooters. Just a change for awhile, don't know how long it will last.
It's a 54. I have settled on two calibers for all my BP, 44/45 & 54. Sure simplifies ball casting and keeping things organized. This rifle is my first rocklock, it was a 2-year project for me. All my others are cap, hawkens etc. I still shoot them but for me they just don't have the magic of a flinter.
Have a lot of hobbies, but when I get the bug to make smoke I tend to burn a lot of powder in a month or two. Always try to attend a rondy or two, great to share and shoot with like minded folks, keeps me in the spirit
Cheers
Bob
Old 03-30-2018, 04:05 PM
zingbee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrank View Post
Does it look like this one??? Broke the original wooden ramrod and replaced it with a black plastic coated fiberglass ramrod. I did salvage the ends off of the original ramrod and put them on the new ramrod!!! Browned mine also as that would have been the correct finish for that era

Bought the kit from... J C Penny sometime in the mid 70's. Stamped big and bold on the barrel was "Made in the USA"!!! I was going to get all three calibers in the Mountain Rifle line and my brother bought me the 54 caliber mountain rifle for Christmas and stamped on the barrel in small letters was "Made in Spain" Upset me greatly and I later sold that rifle, never having fired it. But my CVA kit Mountain Rifle... don't think I will ever sell that one.
God Bless, Frank.
Yes sir. Just like that. I replaced the ramrod also with a 3/8th hickory one. Bought it at a local BP specialty store in Orlando (Buffalo Bills Shooting Store). New ram tip and patch tip also.

Does yours have the hexagonal ramrod thimbles? Later they changed to round ones.

It is not meant to be a replica of S. Hawken's fine rifles. More likely copied J. P. Gemmer.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:15 PM
zingbee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4BVM View Post
Hey woodchuck aint bad eatin neither, iffun ya cook em right !
Actually ate a few. Put them in a crock pot with potatoes, onions and celery. Quite good.

Used to after work. Drove out to the country (lived near Buffalo at the time) knocked on a few doors to ask permission. Never got turned away. The farmers were glad to see them go. Amazing the size of the rocks they could move out of a burrow.

Last edited by zingbee; 03-30-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:26 PM
tfrank
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thumbs up Indeed it does...

Quote:
Yes sir. Just like that. I replaced the ramrod also with a 3/8th hickory one. Bought it at a local BP specialty store in Orlando (Buffalo Bills Shooting Store). New ram tip and patch tip also.

Does yours have the hexagonal ramrod thimbles? Later they changed to round ones.

It is not meant to be a replica of S. Hawken's fine rifles. More likely copied J. P. Gemmer.
Indeed it does have the hexagonal thimbles. When my eyes could see those fine sights that this rifle originally came with I could kill clay birds at 100 yards with that rifle!!! However those days are long gone.
What kind of load do you shoot in yours???
God Bless, Frank.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:01 AM
zingbee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrank View Post
Indeed it does have the hexagonal thimbles. When my eyes could see those fine sights that this rifle originally came with I could kill clay birds at 100 yards with that rifle!!! However those days are long gone.
What kind of load do you shoot in yours???
God Bless, Frank.
Sorry Frank, haven't been back here in a while. For hunting, I've settled on 90 grains of FFg with .015 thick pillow ticking around a .490 swaged round ball. Like you, I could hit clay birds out to 100 yds., quite suitable for hunting deer in the woods of NY. I tried up to 110 g., but a lot of unburned powder was just pushed out of the barrel.

Hunting woodchucks I used 50-60 g and same projectile. Always aimed for the head. If I hit them anywhere in the upper torso they were DRT. Didn't do a lot of damage either, pretty much clean through.