Bullseye pistol recommendations - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:10 PM
newpistol

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bullseye pistol recommendations

I'm sure there are many opinions all around the Internet, but I am going to ask it anyways. If this is not the correct heading, admin please move it to where it belongs.

I am looking at getting into single handed bullseye competitive shooting at my company. I do own a couple larger caliber pistols, some previous experience shooting while in the military. I went to watch a local match to see if its something I'm willing to invest in and I'm intrigued by it and curious how I would compete.

so, finally off to my question. I am now looking for a competitive pistol to buy and have found the following: High Standard Supermatic Trophy (7.25" barrel), Browning Buckmark Contour URX (7.25 barrel), or the Ruger Mk IV Competition (6.88" barrel).
I am looking for any opinions or recommendations on which one I should focus on. I have heard that the High Standard used to be the best entry level competitive pistol.

Thanks and I look forward to your recommendations and feedback.
Jeremy
Old 10-03-2017, 06:47 AM
Pistolman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Jeremy,

Welcome to the world of precision pistol shooting. All the guns you mentioned would be suitable and easily taken to beyond the Master level. The important point is which might work for you. If you have a local club, you might ask if you can try different guns - they will all feel different and there might be one you prefer. Of the ones you mention, HS is likely best, and its ergonomics are similar to the 1911, but all would work well to start. I started with a MKII and shot HM scores with it before switching to a SW41 - much nicer, but consistently added only a few points to my average.

You should also check out the Bullseye-L forum, they specialize in B'eye.

Good luck - great sport!
Old 10-03-2017, 07:52 PM
newpistol

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for they info, I signed up for an account on that site to see what I can learn from those folks.

I guess the perfect one would be a S&W 41, but those seem to be outside my price range for now.

Thanks

Old 10-04-2017, 10:09 PM
Range Con
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile Bullseye .22

Another idea is to use your M1911 frame- if you have one and buy a Marvel or Nelson upper for it. We have a high master in our club that shoots great with his Marvel, others do also in the club. I sure like mine and it is/was much cheaper than buying any of those listed, and certainly cheaper than the high dollar Pardinis, Walthers, etc. For awhile I used my old M1911 frame and the Marvel before buying a dedicated Caspian frame for it. Then I have the .22 and .45 with the same frame angle, grip style, and nearly trigger (you could have them matched), for all three stages of the Bullseye competition.

Range Con
Old 10-05-2017, 08:38 AM
landshark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Get the high standard, if it's a button frame. If it's a screw frame keep looking.

Parts are readily available. You can change barrels, grips, add a dot very easily.

If you are looking for a dot look at ultradot.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:47 PM
newpistol

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How do I know if its a button frame or screw frame?

I do have a Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officers Elite Target and I haven't seen any conversion barrels for my specific 1911 frame.

Thanks
Old 10-06-2017, 12:52 PM
newpistol

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think I figured out what the difference is. looks like the the button frame has the push button takedown and the screw frame has an Allen screw in front of the trigger guard for takedown.

I went back to take a look at the one they have for sale and its the screw frame model (107 SH serial number), but is selling it for $425 with 2 magazines. I'n not sure on the retail pricing for these models so any help would be appreciated.

If looking for a S&W model 41, are their any years better than others or other features I should be looking at for the model 41 pistols?

Thanks for any help

thanks

Last edited by newpistol; 10-06-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:12 PM
hotshoe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newpistol View Post
How do I know if its a button frame or screw frame?

I do have a Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officers Elite Target and I haven't seen any conversion barrels for my specific 1911 frame.

Thanks
I shoot a SA RO with an Advantage Arms conversion. It is a model of the Marvel unit. VERY accurate, and once you find the ammo it likes, a good runner. I got mine on Gun Trader, but you can order from the factory too. Get a full length recoil spring guide rod for the .45 slide, and caliber changes are less than a minute.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:49 PM
Earplug80911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Buy once cry once

The S&W model 41 is the easiest to live with. Controls are nicely placed and barrel take down and cleaning is easy. Magazines are relatively cheap and well made.
I you mount a red dot sight the rear of the slide is easy to reach. I find the pistol a bit to heavy with a dot sight.
The High Standard has a bit nicer trigger and seems to hang better in my hand. If you hang a Red dot on one the rear sight gets into the way of the rear of the slide. You can't dry fire a High Standard and the magazines lips are subject to getting bent it your not careful. They need to be spot on for the gun to work. You can buy a alloy sleeved barrel for use with the Dot Sight to reduce the added weight.
A Marvel conversion can be a wonderful thing if you can find ammo and magazines that work. The newer company is making slides that hold open on the last shot.
Takes a little socket wrench to take down and clean. Lots of options on building a dedicated 1911 based frame. I use a cast STI frame that is electroless nickel plated so the alloy slide runs happily on the rails. No fear gunsmithing with easy to obtain trigger and fire control parts. You can play with a holster.
I have been beat by Buckmarks and Rugers, yet have never owned one.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:02 PM
Hovannes
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm happy with my 1970's S&W Model 41. All I need to do is keep her clean and feed her CCI-SV and only CCI-SV and she's a tack driver.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:16 AM
1shotbob
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As a High Master BE shooter for 25+ years I can use any one of my four HS target pistols or my S&W PC 41 and shoot the same 290s+ scores' if I use my Browning Buckmark gold target or my Kimber 1911 22lr conversion I usually shoot in the 280s+ scores, all have red dot sights.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:42 PM
Range Con
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile Bullseye .22

I think 1shotbob hit on it- and Gil Hebard the Bullseye equipment dealer of years ago did a study verifying that mechanically, almost all of the target .22s will score well, it is just a matter of triggers, ergonomics, what feels good to you, and what you can afford. As he indicated and as have others have, you are not likely to get burned with any of them. Best idea try a number of them if possible, we have a High Master in our club that likes the Marvel (so do I and wish I was a High Master), others use Rugers, Pardinis, Nalson, and S & Ws, etc. So they vary in price from three to four hundred to fifteen hundred or more. It can be a dilemma, I would recommend the Marvel or Nelson for your M1911, or possibly a Ruger- less money and will do the job. Of course the advantage to the conversion unit is the similarity of the frame and trigger.

Good luck and good shooting!

Range Con