Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:03 PM
BoomDeBoom
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Need some optics help

I need to put a scope on a Thompson Center Contender. It will be used as a carbine and hand gun with various calibers and lengths of barrels. The calibers will be rimfire and mild recoil centerfire (17 Hornet, 222 Rem, 17Hmr, etc.). A compact variable scope that would let an old man with less then perfect eyes see targets at 50 and 100 yards. Suggestions for rail, scope, and quick detachable rings that might cover the above needs for $500 would be appreciated.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:53 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
I have three barrels with EGW rails on them, two use Warne QD rings and one Burris Sig Zee's.
The Sig Zee's aren't exactly quick detach the way the Warne's are, but will slide right off the rail scope and all with the removal of the fixing screws.
I also have one with a one piece DNZ mount.
I looked around on the Trading Post here and E-bay, and was able to find a used Burris on E-bay, and a Weaver and a Leupold from the Trading Post. All are variables.
If it had not been for the lifetime warranty on the Leupold and Burris I might not have bought them, but they all turned out to be fine, just a few scratches on the Burris.
I haven't always been so lucky buying used scopes, especially the budget ones from Mueller, if you don't get a receipt with it, no warranty.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
if you were going to use it for hunting then I would recommend a Weaver Grand Slam scope they are pretty short at 11.5" has and side focus down to 25 yards and came in four different reticles: Duplex (dual X), EBX, Varmint EBX (my favorite) and the Multistop. You can check out what the different reticles look like here:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=516808

here is a picture of how short they are:

and one on a 10/22:

A couple of 4-16x...Multistop in back and a Varmint EBX in front:

Good luck on your quest.

Signalman

Old 07-21-2019, 12:53 AM
BoomDeBoom
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
'Ol Shooter, thanks for your suggestions. I have been using Sig Zees on most of my scope selections in past 2 years, but the Warne QD may win out on this one. I also use EGW on a couple of rifles for rails. They will probably win this race. Scope might be a Burris or Weaver. If Signalman 1 didn't own all of the Weaver Grand Slam's I would try to buy one. Maybe he has 4 x 16 he would sell me to mount on all of my Contender barrels! I hope Weaver's new owner will warranty for life, because I have a few myself (not as many as Signalman 1 though).
Old 07-21-2019, 01:14 AM
BoomDeBoom
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Signalman 1, thank for you suggestions. I will have to locate a Grand Slam because I think the size would be right for this project. Having buttstock, grip, and forend for a Contender, I am trying to maximize barrel investment by having one scope. Most of the barrels will be 16 inches so they can all be treated as a bench rest pistol or
carbine.

Since you have a corner on Weaver Grand Slam's, I am counting on you making me an outstanding deal on your best scope to complete this project. LOL. I have looked through what Natchez has available and the pickings are slim for the reticle I would want. I guess I will have to keep my out for a good used one. Again thanks for your wise input.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:28 AM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
I can also recommend Vortex, good value and no hassle warranty, I have several Crossfire's and a Strike Eagle.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:06 PM
coloradokid
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Love the Burris Timberline!