New 795 has gap between barrel and receiver.. Normal? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:45 PM
pbmiata

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New 795 has gap between barrel and receiver.. Normal?

Hi,

First post!

First, thanks to all the information that this forum has provided the past few months as I contemplated buying and accessorizing a Marlin 795.

I just bought a 795 and came home from my first day at the range. Shot about 70 rounds of various brands of standard velocity ammo to try to find a good round for this rifle... No hyper velocity tried.

When I returned home, I was fondling my new toy and I noticed that the bbl is not set hard against the receiver.

Is this "Normal"? I can fit a .014" feeler gauge in the gap where the bbl goes into the receiver. I know that these barrels are press fit and pinned into the receiver and I think that my unit was not pushed all the way in before the pin was (drilled?) and placed.

I don't know if the bbl is walking out as I use the rifle or if it was that way from the start. Also, under a magnifying glass, the hole for the pin looks a bit buggered up, Like someone had to take a few whacks at it to get it set.. Again, Normal?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Paul
Old 07-20-2019, 11:26 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No. Itís defective and dangerous. Need to send it back!
Old 07-21-2019, 07:39 AM
pbmiata

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks TM22. I thought I was pretty informed when I picked it up - as I checked for a canted sights (rotated bbl) .... Which were OK. Never thought to check the attachment of the bbl.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:43 AM
Gripen
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
96% (26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmiata View Post
Hi,

First post!

First, thanks to all the information that this forum has provided the past few months as I contemplated buying and accessorizing a Marlin 795.

I just bought a 795 and came home from my first day at the range. Shot about 70 rounds of various brands of standard velocity ammo to try to find a good round for this rifle... No hyper velocity tried.

When I returned home, I was fondling my new toy and I noticed that the bbl is not set hard against the receiver.

Is this "Normal"? I can fit a .014" feeler gauge in the gap where the bbl goes into the receiver. I know that these barrels are press fit and pinned into the receiver and I think that my unit was not pushed all the way in before the pin was (drilled?) and placed.

I don't know if the bbl is walking out as I use the rifle or if it was that way from the start. Also, under a magnifying glass, the hole for the pin looks a bit buggered up, Like someone had to take a few whacks at it to get it set.. Again, Normal?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Paul
I've seen this on many Marlins and guns from other makers. It's not ideal, but it's really not dangerous for a self-headspacing gun like a blowback .22. I would personally have zero qualms shooting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
No. It’s defective and dangerous. Need to send it back!
Eh, not really. It's an inexpensive gun (so this kind of thing is relatively common), and it's not a dangerous issue at all.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:09 PM
pbmiata

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for your insight Gripen,

Your remark regarding the self head spacing of this model helps. I did check to ensure that the bolt does close right against the barrel.

Still.... Not too crazy about the sloppy workmanship. Will contact Marlin tomorrow just to see what they say.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:01 PM
longislandloco
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Model 60, same issue, it's now 20 years old, no problem. Really, it's a mass produced low end firearm.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:53 AM
pbmiata

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Long Island- I appreciate your response.

I talked to a rep at Marlin who in turn checked with one of their Techs. According to the tech, when the bbl is pinned to the receiver, the head space is set which in turn determines how far in the bbl is set into the receiver.

According to the tech, it's possible to see as much as a .020" gap.

So, the gap is not a result of sloppy installation but is just a reflection of the variances in length of the bbl when the breech face is milled.

Thanks again,
Paul