Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:40 PM
404tbang
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
106 Supermatic Citation trigger adjustment

I recently picked up a 95% condition (advertised as such and looks it anyway) 106 Supermatic Citation. I have had a couple of 107 Supermatic Citations and a Victor in years past. I have never adjusted the trigger on any High Standard I've had, they were pretty much done properly by previous owners.

This one seems great. Curiously, when I release the slide to go forward when the magazine is empty, the pistol is not cocked. It's as if the sear doesn't engage. I've fired five rounds to function check it and they all fired fine. I assumed that the slide was slowed down enough to catch the sear when the magazine was loaded.

In the event I start having problems with it not cocking, how do I properly adjust the trigger?

Thanks!

Greg
Old 07-20-2019, 05:32 PM
SGVictor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404tbang View Post
I recently picked up a 95% condition (advertised as such and looks it anyway) 106 Supermatic Citation. I have had a couple of 107 Supermatic Citations and a Victor in years past. I have never adjusted the trigger on any High Standard I've had, they were pretty much done properly by previous owners.

This one seems great. Curiously, when I release the slide to go forward when the magazine is empty, the pistol is not cocked. It's as if the sear doesn't engage. I've fired five rounds to function check it and they all fired fine. I assumed that the slide was slowed down enough to catch the sear when the magazine was loaded.

In the event I start having problems with it not cocking, how do I properly adjust the trigger?

Thanks!

Greg
If the hammer is not resetting, I would first look for a sluggish sear bar from oil turned to gum, a corroded trigger pin, or a corroded pin on the sear bar where it attaches to the trigger. The sear likewise could be sluggish from gummy oil.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:38 PM
404tbang
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGVictor View Post
If the hammer is not resetting, I would first look for a sluggish sear bar from oil turned to gum, a corroded trigger pin, or a corroded pin on the sear bar where it attaches to the trigger. The sear likewise could be sluggish from gummy oil.
Thank you very much! I'll look for that first.

Take care,

Greg

Old 07-21-2019, 07:09 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
With any Hi Std new to you, you should first do a complete and thorough cleaning to remove decades of gummy oil residue. Next you should replace the recoil spring with the correct OEM 5.5 pound one or the Wolf 6 pound variable rate one. They should be replaced every 10 to 15 thousand rounds as they wear away inside their slide cavity. Failure to do this could lead eventually to a cracked frame. Next be careful of your ammo choices.

You can easily and erroneously choose ammo too powerful. And should limit your choice to a Standard Velocity ammo, like CCI Std Vel. You also may find some so-called Std Vel ammo not powerful enough and fail to fully cycle the slide to cock the hammer.

Another possibility is that the sear spring has come out of its notch in the adjustment screw and the sear is under powered.

So...........Before you shoot the gun again, clean it meticulously and replace the recoil spring and inspect the sear spring. Also get some of the tiny slide latch springs as I'd bet yours is mashed or kinked because they all are.

LDBennett
Old 07-21-2019, 03:49 PM
404tbang
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBennett View Post
With any Hi Std new to you, you should first do a complete and thorough cleaning to remove decades of gummy oil residue. Next you should replace the recoil spring with the correct OEM 5.5 pound one or the Wolf 6 pound variable rate one. They should be replaced every 10 to 15 thousand rounds as they wear away inside their slide cavity. Failure to do this could lead eventually to a cracked frame. Next be careful of your ammo choices.

You can easily and erroneously choose ammo too powerful. And should limit your choice to a Standard Velocity ammo, like CCI Std Vel. You also may find some so-called Std Vel ammo not powerful enough and fail to fully cycle the slide to cock the hammer.

Another possibility is that the sear spring has come out of its notch in the adjustment screw and the sear is under powered.

So...........Before you shoot the gun again, clean it meticulously and replace the recoil spring and inspect the sear spring. Also get some of the tiny slide latch springs as I'd bet yours is mashed or kinked because they all are.

LDBennett
Hi, LDBennett,
I've read your posts about the standard velocity ammo a few times. Took it to heart, and bought a brick and a half of CCI Standard Velocity to start with. Will likely get more if this shoots as accurately as I think it will. In my last High Standard, a Victor, I ran Wolf or SK Standard Plus. Seemed to shoot that pretty well. Realistically I will probably stick with the CCI Standard Velocity. Your posts have made me a believer.

I did run 10 more rounds through the pistol. It functioned just fine, and I hit everything I was aiming at. Trigger seems like it might be at the lightest possible setting it is capable of being set at. I wouldn't mind increasing the pull weight a bit, but I don't know how.

First things first, change the springs you mentioned. Any place better than any other for getting a replacement spring or kit of them?

Is changing the springs pretty straight forward?

And, thank you for the sound advice on ammo selection and spring changes!

Take care,

Greg
Old 07-22-2019, 07:31 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The best source is Alan Aronstein at interarmstx.com. his springs are also sold by Brownells. Wolf also makes OEM equivalent (5.5 pound) and a variable rate (6 pound) recoil spring. Either works fine.

There is a video somewhere on how to do the recoil spring exchange. It is not easy! the spring lives in a tight cavity in the slide, retained by a small plug held in by a tiny pin. The spring is slightly compress such that removal of the tiny plug pin has the plug shooting out of the slide. Pointing the slide breech face into a rag during the final removal of the plug pin will keep the plug from entering the ethers of you garage of gun room. I keep a spare plug and pin around incase the plug gets away during removal or replacement.

The hard part is getting the spring and plug back into the slide as the spring has to be compressed to get the plug into the slide. Statrign the tiny plug pin helps. I put the slide into a padded vise force the plug down into the slide while gently tapping the plug pin into place.

Many who report here have done this task with few complaints but it is not as easy as a recoil spring changeout in many other guns.

If your model Hi Std has the sear spring adjustment, it is a screw high up on the back of the pistol grip. First remove the slide and make sure the tail for the sear spring is in the slot of the adjuster pin . The adjustment range is only about one pound (I am told? 2 to 3 pounds?). Flush with the grip frame is the lightest and all the way in is the heaviest. The trigger should reset in either position of that adjustment. If not then the spring tail is probably not in the adjuster pin.

LDBennett