Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-09-2019, 01:25 PM
Lyndon Holcomb
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mauser .22 LR model 201 ejection problem

My model 201 will sometimes eject the spent case but most of the time it stays in the void created when the bolt is pulled back necessitating tilting the rifle to let the hull fall out. I am aware of a fix posted on Rimfire Central but cannot find it because the search function will not work for me, or maybe it is operator trouble. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have had model 201 Mausers for almost 20 years so am aware of the advice of rapidly opening the bolt. That helps, but does not solve the problem and I am tired of living with the problem.
Thanks,
Lyndon
Old 07-09-2019, 01:43 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Look at your bolt, good chance you have two extractors and no holder, that was the case with mine. Gunsmith reshaped the left extractor to a holder and the problem was solved.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:54 PM
Lyndon Holcomb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mauser .22LR model 201 ejection problem

A belated thanks for your response gmd1950. It took me awhile to understand the problem, which I understand to be that the left extractor hangs on to the cartridge rim while the ejector is trying to eject it. Is the fix as simple as grinding the hook off the left extractor to make it a holder? If so, does the the bolt have to be disassembled? That would be tricky to do and also one would have to be extremely careful to grind it off in place since there is so little room to work. However it may be done, it would be very helpful to me if you would post a photo of the extractor in the bolt after the extractor was made into a holder. I would appreciate that very much.
Lyndon

Old 07-21-2019, 05:04 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
You have the idea, my gunsmith and his brother spent a whole day getting mine sorted out, fortunately they took it as a learning experience so it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. You're right you do have to be careful to get it right.

The rifle got sold not long after that, sorry no photos of the work.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:12 PM
arfinok
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lyndon,
If you ever find that photo of the extractor/ejector before/after or right/wrong pic, I'd be very interested in seeing that too. I've been playing the "where's the empty....I know it's in there somewhere" guessing game for many years myself.
RF
Old 07-25-2019, 07:17 AM
gmd1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
I seriously doubt he took photos but the Gunsmith who did the work is Ken Barfield
owner of HH Gunsmithing in Blanch NC phone is 336-694-5739 Hours are Tues-Fri 1pm to 5pm. They're there pretty much all the time but may not answer the phone if they're busy.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:21 PM
Lyndon Holcomb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Last week I spent a lot of time composing a long update of the status of my quest to fix my ejection problem only to have it wiped out when I hit the "submit reply" feature. I now know how to keep that from happening so I will try again.

Thank you gmd1950 for your help. I talked with Ken Barfield and although he tried to be very helpful, he could not remember exactly what he did to fix the problem. I am confident that he could fix it but I have decided to fix it myself, mainly because I do not want to risk damage to and back from him. If I feel I am getting in over my head I have a very good gunsmith 70 miles away in San Antonio (Ten Ring Precision) that I can take it to.
One way or the other I am going to get the problem fixed. It is the only problem with a beautiful, super accurate rifle.

When I do get it fixed (It will take some time) I will a post a detailed explanation of how to do it which I hope will be helpful to arfinok and a lot of others that are probably having this problem.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:34 PM
gmd1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
I would imagine that any really knowledgable gunsmith could do it, as many rifles as Ken works on in a year I'm not surprised he can't recall what he did. Go slow and I'll bet you can do it.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:08 PM
Lyndon Holcomb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Thanks for the encouragement. I checked out your website. Impressive!!!