41 slide frozen shut, doesn't budge - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:39 AM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

If it's WD-40 residue - regular stinky paint thinner works wonders. A squirt of kroil should help a lot too.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:03 PM
wetdog1911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kp321 View Post
Remove the grips and put it in a pan of Kroil. Come back in two weeks and see if things have changed. It sounds like it was WD-40'd before storage?
A few years ago, a customer brought in a S&W revolver that had been sprayed with WD-40 on a regular basis for years. I finally got the thing apart with Kroil but was left with the gummy residue on everything. A half hour soak in a solution of hot, 140+, water and tri sodium phosphate (TSP in Lowes paint dept) cleaned it like new with no blue damage. TSP is the main ingredient in the de-greasing solutions used before hot blue. It will leave the metal completely oil free so a quick oiling after degreasing is needed to prevent flash rust.

No, I've never used WD-40 on any of my firearms. It's mainly Eezox for corrosion and FP-10 for lubrication on the rails and such.

Thanks for the TSP tip, that sounds like a plan.

Wet
Old 07-20-2019, 03:15 PM
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetdog1911 View Post
No, I've never used WD-40 on any of my firearms. It's mainly Eezox for corrosion and FP-10 for lubrication on the rails and such.

Thanks for the TSP tip, that sounds like a plan.

Wet

Mine did the same thing. Look at the safety, the screw came lose and the lever being lose moved just enough to stop the slide from moving

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2019, 09:18 AM
wetdog1911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
LOL, it fixed itself while in hospital.

I had gotten a gallon of MS and a pan to soak it in and was waiting on the S&W magna tips from Brownells (on backorder). I had to go back in the hospital, so I stuck the gun, in the case, in the bottom of the safe near the Golden rod, but not touching.

Anyway, there it sat for over a month till I felt like getting back to it since the driver tips had also arrived. The case was warm to the touch from the golden rod, but not hot by any stretch. Just for S&G I grabbed the slide to check one last time before disassembly and BLOOP, it went back and locked open!! My mouth fell open and I gave a happy W...T...F..?

Dropped the mag out and worked the slide some and it was slick as ever. The only thing I can figure is, is that the FP10 had gummed up during the winter. The safe is in a unheated garage and the pistol was near the top of the safe and then, spending close to a month near the warmth of the golden rod softened the gumminess? IDK

I'm still going to disassemble the pistol, give it a good soak in the MS, a through cleaning, and then we'll see. I'm thinking perhaps Ballistol for the internals (old school I know, but after all these years its proven itself), and Eezox for the corrosion protection.

Any other thoughts would be welcome.

Wet
Old 09-02-2019, 12:10 PM
Domino
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good you got the pistol open and can work on it. Best of luck.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:53 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
wetdog1911

"I'm thinking perhaps Ballistol for the internals (old school I know, but after all these years its proven itself), and Eezox for the corrosion protection".

Or you could just spray it down with Hornady One Shot Cleaner and Gun Lube once you've finished cleaning it.

It sprays on and will get into every nook and cranny, then turns into a dry film lube that won't build up, or gum up.

It's an outstanding lube, but you can still place some grease on your favorite spots when you decide to go shoot it.

It's an outstanding rust perventer.

Temp rated from -40 to plus 400, so you won't have to worry about the temperatures in your safe.

Check out this massive product review concentrating on rust prevention and lubricity.
It's right at the top for both, plus everything I described in the above features.
http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

Seems perfect for your needs.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 09-02-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:19 PM
NHcollector

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetdog1911 View Post
LOL, it fixed itself while in hospital.

I had gotten a gallon of MS and a pan to soak it in and was waiting on the S&W magna tips from Brownells (on backorder). I had to go back in the hospital, so I stuck the gun, in the case, in the bottom of the safe near the Golden rod, but not touching.

Anyway, there it sat for over a month till I felt like getting back to it since the driver tips had also arrived. The case was warm to the touch from the golden rod, but not hot by any stretch. Just for S&G I grabbed the slide to check one last time before disassembly and BLOOP, it went back and locked open!! My mouth fell open and I gave a happy W...T...F..?

Dropped the mag out and worked the slide some and it was slick as ever. The only thing I can figure is, is that the FP10 had gummed up during the winter. The safe is in a unheated garage and the pistol was near the top of the safe and then, spending close to a month near the warmth of the golden rod softened the gumminess? IDK

I'm still going to disassemble the pistol, give it a good soak in the MS, a through cleaning, and then we'll see. I'm thinking perhaps Ballistol for the internals (old school I know, but after all these years its proven itself), and Eezox for the corrosion protection.

Any other thoughts would be welcome.

Wet
I'm only 73 so I guess I haven't heard about all the solvents that are used to clean parts, notwithstanding many years of car restoration, so my question is, what is MS?
Old 09-02-2019, 01:44 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Ive been using Eezox since the late 1980s. I never use anything else with it. It has decent lubrication qualities.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:30 PM
Domino
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think MS was mineral spirits.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:46 PM
Smoothtrigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
M2HB

So everyone loves what they've always been using.

That's for good reason, a lot of products get the job done in an OK manner.
However only a few can be the best, and Eezox isn't one of them. Good but not great.

Came in with a C- on lubrication, and a D on rust prevention compared to the best.

Compared to the best is an important qualifier, because Eezox didn't suck as a rust preventer at all. The test was just so tough.
However I don't think it's much of a lube. Not from my experience, and the test backs that up.
Anyway it was just way behind the top few, which were crazy good at both.

I've tried Eezox as I mentioned, so someday you may want to give One Shot a go, lf you haven't already.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 09-02-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:27 PM
wetdog1911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHcollector View Post
I'm only 73 so I guess I haven't heard about all the solvents that are used to clean parts, notwithstanding many years of car restoration, so my question is, what is MS?
Me, I'm only 71 and yes, it's mineral spirits. I figured if nothing else I can use it in my Aladdin lamps or the Aladdin blue flame heaters, both use the same old school technology, a circular wick that only emits CO2 and water vapor. The other solvents that were recc couldn't serve a dual purpose, even though they might work faster.

Wet
Old 09-02-2019, 04:47 PM
wetdog1911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
Ive been using Eezox since the late 1980s. I never use anything else with it. It has decent lubrication qualities.
Same here with the late 1980s/early 1990s. IIRC, wasn't it SLI Liquid Gunsmith before Eezox? The BCPR (Black powder cartridge rifle), crowd turned me on to it for black powder fouling and corrosion.

AFA lubrication, I've been less than impressed with it, but then again, I really don't use it as a lube per se. But, the corrosion resistance is top notch. A single can lasts me for years, so little is needed.

Wet
Old 09-02-2019, 05:22 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congratulations for getting your model 41 up and running! There is a multitude of good lubricants made for use on guns, and everyone has their preferences. Usually someone will buy one and it serves the purpose so they continue to buy it. The important part is to use it correctly, not too much and not too little.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:33 PM
wetdog1911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
"I'm thinking perhaps Ballistol for the internals (old school I know, but after all these years its proven itself), and Eezox for the corrosion protection".

Or you could just spray it down with Hornady One Shot Cleaner and Gun Lube once you've finished cleaning it.

It sprays on and will get into every nook and cranny, then turns into a dry film lube that won't build up, or gum up.

It's an outstanding lube, but you can still place some grease on your favorite spots when you decide to go shoot it.

It's an outstanding rust perventer.

Temp rated from -40 to plus 400, so you won't have to worry about the temperatures in your safe.

Check out this massive product review concentrating on rust prevention and lubricity.
It's right at the top for both, plus everything I described in the above features.
http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

Seems perfect for your needs.

Smooth
Hey Smooth, read that whole link, but took exception with the fingerprint & Eezox. When applied right I don't even leave a visable fingerprint, even on a 1958 Browning Superposed bbls and Eezox was the only one that failed?

I'll give the Hornady a shot, even though I don't care much for spray anything. The Frog Lube is definately going to get a try out. Those 2 seem to be worth consideration and I'll consider them.

I never used a golden rod for the 15 years the safe was in the garage in Hollywood, FL with no corrosion issues just using Eezox. It got broken out of the packaging (it came with the safe), when we moved to SC in 2007. Sure could tell you weren't in SoFL any more. LOL With 30* temp swings being normal and the humidity being just as crazy, corrosion is way more of an issue than it ever was in constantly hot and humid SoFl.

Wet
Old 09-02-2019, 06:17 PM
Smoothtrigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
wetdog1911

"Hey Smooth, read that whole link, but took exception with the fingerprint & Eezox".

I have no idea what you're referring to about finger prints.....did I miss something in the product review?
Was that the part about hot dogs? I'll admit that I only speed read that and couldn't find an obvious conclusions so I moved on.

I'll go back and check and read that part more slowly, although I'm not sure how much I care about finger prints, because I don't use either product on any part of my rifles where I would care.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 09-02-2019 at 09:08 PM.