10/22 hogue edition - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:40 PM
chinaboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
10/22 hogue edition

I am thinking of buying a used 10/22 hogue edition. They were out a few years back with the bull barrels and I really liked the set up. Its going for a little over $300 and has some marks on it but is still a nice gun.

Would I be better suited to build my own gun with a similar look?

Is the price above a decent price for that model?

This will be my first 10/22 and thought it would be at least a decent starter that maybe I could work off of and swap parts if I really wanted to.

Let me know what you think, thanks
Old 06-18-2019, 04:18 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The price is a little high.

For$400 you can build your own $70 receiver $20 pins and parts,S&P, $100 GM Barrel , Rimfire Sports, $50 bolt and Handel,JHW,$50 BX Trigger, whoever, $80 Hogue stock, Rimfire Sports, Ffl fee $30.

You will end up spending the $100, on the bolt, and trigger on the purchased one and still won’t have a target chambered barrel. Or you could send it to CPC for the works, bolt chamber trigger but that’s $200.

So as it’s used , some of this may have been done, ask if it has , and adjust your offer accordingly.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:06 AM
chinaboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I believe the seller is firm on the price but I will ask if they will go lower today. And I feel the item is most likely stock.

Thanks for summing up "build" for me. I could see myself really enjoying building a similar riffle. I love building ARs. I had always like the 10/22 hogue edition but if I could build something very similar with similar price that would be cool too.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:48 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My first build sits in a hogue overmolded stock, of green. KSA barrel, stock bolt and handle, and a Hornet Black Max Trigger. And it shoots great.

You can build for less if you shop for deals, and wait for them.

You can build for more if you want the best and buy at a premium.

They are all fun. , and easy to do. The custom bolt really doesnít add accuracy, maybe a little better reliability, a Kidd charging handle and an oem bolt work fine.
A bolt buffer isnít necessary, but for $2 it cheap enough. A fancy v block is only necessary if youíve got barrel droop, the $6 utg rail from amazon works fine.
Where you should spend your money is the the trigger. A&50 Bx is fine , a Kidd is the best , Brimstoned Trigger tier 2 groups are really good, I also like the VQ TG 2000 , the hornets are overpriced, but you do get a $30 credit for sending in your stock Trigger.

Equally important is the target cut chamber on the aftermarket barrels, no stingers , but theyíre just fun junk , so no real loss, just shoot velocitors if you want a bigger bang.

Then the ammo, skip the bulk, CCI Sv is the baseline, and up you go SK, Eli, Wolf, etc.

Of course you need to see your target, 24x or more , Fine cross hairs, and AO of course. Lots of choices here, but even the cheapest will work fine. Same with rings.

And a steady platform. A rest is best, but a pia to drag around. I use a bipod, cheap Amazon is fine, sits on a stiff pad, like a boat cushion, or garden knelling pad. And a rear bag, , a bag of sand beans or rice will do, or you can spring for a bunny eared leather one.

And targets, I like the two inch circles sticky and reactive ,

1022 target guns are lots of fun, have a good time.

As for the guy selling the gun, this is how you get the price down,

Ask to see the gun again, ask if it has any upgrades to the trigger .... bolt charginging handle, chamber etc

Touch each part you ask about, if he says no, say , thatís another $100 Look at him and say , Iíd really like to buy this , right now, but I can only give you $250, out the door, cause I need the rest of my money to buy parts.. as your pulling $250 in cash out of you pocket, donít hand him more donít ask for change, and keep on handing him the $250 , heíll take it.

Good luck, and let us know!
Old 06-18-2019, 06:07 AM
twodollarpistol

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All things considered, for your first 10 22, I think I would offer $250 to $300 out the door and be happy with it. You would have a nice, complete , rifle to be shooting, enjoying and learning with. Then you can begin to do the mods that have been suggested and sooooo much more. This will not be your last 10 22 and RFC is the place to find all the help you need to grow in the obsession, er, sport . Either way enjoy and be safe. TDP

Last edited by twodollarpistol; 06-18-2019 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:33 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodollarpistol View Post
All things considered, for your first 10 22, I think I would offer $250 to $300 out the door and be happy with it. You would have a nice, complete , rifle to be shooting, enjoying and learning with. Then you can begin to do the mods that have been suggested and sooooo much more. This will not be your last 10 22 and RFC is the place to find all the help you need to grow in the obsession, er, sport . Either way enjoy and be safe. TDP
Also a reasonable strategy. But a better trigger is a must.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:35 AM
chinaboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all the repliea guys. I appreciate it. Im torn between buying this starter riffle or building one. I just understand how its hard to save money when you are constantly buying parts for gun builds.

Is there a way visually to decern the BX trigger from the stock trigger?
Old 06-18-2019, 07:44 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaboy View Post
Thanks for all the repliea guys. I appreciate it. Im torn between buying this starter riffle or building one. I just understand how its hard to save money when you are constantly buying parts for gun builds.

Is there a way visually to decern the BX trigger from the stock trigger?
depending on its age if it has a metal trigger group definitely not a Bx.

IIf itís newer and has thevpolymer Trigger group the look the same on the outside. So You have to pull the action out and the trigger group out then look inside at the hammer. Theregular hammer will have one cut out at the base rhe Bx will have two..

Last edited by Toomany22s; 06-18-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:36 AM
twodollarpistol

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Also a reasonable strategy. But a better trigger is a must.
Yep
Old 06-18-2019, 10:36 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Even this one will be a suitable 'starter gun'. Around here $200 stone stock 10/22s are rare, $250ish seems to be the bottom unless one is really lucky and Ive heard one can walk into some discount stores and buy a new one out the door for about that. Then you spend more money and 'build'.
As was said, this one is ready to rock, even if not 'ideal' to your notions, but you WILL get there no matter where you start. And, you WILL throw dollars into the money eating hole called a 10/22. No need to ask how I know.....
Id pull out $250 and hold it close saying,"I got this right now if you will take it, if not Im just gonna havta keep looking" and be ready to walk.
And dont let him talk you into the ,"you can owe me the rest" ploy. After all, its just a 10/22 and there are more out there.

Last edited by gcrank1; 06-18-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:58 AM
chinaboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well. I started to eye ball parts and price things up. I kind of want to build a riffle nearly identical to the one that is for sale. That way Ill have a new riffle.

The only thing Ill miss is the stock hogue tactical targetís bull barrel has this nice swirling spiral around it. While I can get a nearly identical barrel it wont have the cool swirls.

Im going to make a few posts with questions later tonight.