Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:02 PM
cmatera
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
50% (1)
Franklin Armory F17L

Haven’t shot mine yet, just moved, but getting close. Has anyone experiencing light primer strikes ever tried an “enhanced” (slightly longer AR firing pin)?
Old 08-25-2018, 10:10 AM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmatera View Post
Haven’t shot mine yet, just moved, but getting close. Has anyone experiencing light primer strikes ever tried an “enhanced” (slightly longer AR firing pin)?
I don't have one so this is all second hand information but if I recall, some of the F17 owners that were using triggers with a lighter pull weight were experiencing light strikes. Again, I don't own a F17 but don't they come with a fairly heavy trigger in them from the factory? This 17 WSM ammo seems to sometimes have ignition issues and I'm not sure if it's because the ammo is faulty or if it just has a thicker/harder rim and it requires a heavier strike.

I used to get a fair amount of light strikes on my Bmag but once I tuned the trigger and cleaned up the surfaces on the sear, I rarely get a light strike now. Before I polished it up, it would sorta drag off the sear when you pulled the trigger and I think that kinda slowed things down just enough that it wasn't striking will full force. Now that the trigger parts are all polished up, the trigger seems to snap a lot louder/harder than it did before.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:48 PM
cmatera

TPC Rating: 
50% (1)
It is a shame that on a $2,000+ gun, you need a aftermarket trigger to get a lighter trigger pull. The F17L is a different animal, based on the AR platform as you know. On the Franklin, they modified the AR bolt. The firing pin hits a little dogleg piece that transfers the impact of the firing pin from the center (fire) to the rim (fire) of the WSM. I’m thinking that with a lighter trigger, there may not be enough oomph to transfer the energy from the center through the dogleg to the rim. An enhanced AR firing pin is a few thousanths longer, so I thought that might work. I may have to be the first to try it.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:25 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Before ya go off half cocked check with Eric to see what he knows about it. He's usually up to speed with the Franklin. http://www.varminter.com/forums/
Old 08-26-2018, 01:45 AM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Before ya go off half cocked check with Eric to see what he knows about it. He's usually up to speed with the Franklin. http://www.varminter.com/forums/
I'd second that recommendation. I don't know Eric personally, only from talking to him here, but like Al said, he certainly knows much more about the Franklin 17 WSM's than most and even though I razz him about his Franklin 17 WSM's he has always been great with sharing information about all things 17 WSM.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:50 AM
cmatera

TPC Rating: 
50% (1)
I have read a all of Eric's posts on the F/A, so not going off half cocked. Most guys seem to be upgrading to Elftman Match or in Eric's case the Hiperfire trigger, with various spring strengths. After studying the bolt construction, just wondering if any of them tried the enhanced firing pin.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:45 PM
mvonbeamer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cmatera, I had all kinds of problems with my F17 with light primer strikes. Eventually, I broke the cam pin and bent the piston. This happened twice. The last time was over a year ago. When I got it back from Franklin this last time, it was completely different, new cam pin and the piston rod moved freely. My suggestion is to check the piston rod. If it doesn't move by just flipping the rifle or upper upside down or pushing the piston rod (back or forth) then the piston needs to be spaced correctly. I went from a 30% failure rate to less than a 1% failure. The gunsmith that worked on it last time fixed the problem. I believe the original person that put it together did not adjust the piston correctly but Franklin did make it right.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:06 PM
cmatera

TPC Rating: 
50% (1)
I will make sure I give it a shake before using it to make sure it moves freely. I would rather find that out before I do any damage. I appreciate the heads up on that-who would think to check that?
Old 09-04-2018, 05:18 PM
cmatera

TPC Rating: 
50% (1)
I just checked it. Thankfully, it rattles. So far, so good.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:34 AM
Schultz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just sent my franklin f17 back to have repairs made I could never get it to fire consistently and upon further inspection I noticed a bent piston rod the customer service rep was polite and hopefully turn around time won't be too long and no I did not use spray foam cleaners and the cam pin did not appear to be broken
Old 04-09-2019, 09:55 PM
mvonbeamer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
good luck. I have not had an issue with it since they fixed it last time. Still shoots great
Old 04-10-2019, 06:39 PM
Schultz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks I will keep the members posted when I learn of the status of my rifle and perform a field test upon its return
Old 04-22-2019, 08:55 PM
IdahoHunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I broke my cam pin on my F17-L. I called Franklin and they asked me to send them the broken one in exchange for a new replacement. I didn’t think about the piston rod till you guys mentioned it. I checked it and it seems to be moving somewhat freely. Hopefully it will be up and running with just a new cam pin.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:15 AM
Schultz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Finally took back possession of my f17 which was sent back due to non firing issues on April 6th.The rifle arrived on July 26th and was lightly wrapped in bubble wrap with no attempt to avoid possible shipping damage,needless to say I was not happy and gave Daniel at franklin a heads up on the poor package job of a 1500 dollar rifle rolling around the back of a fed ex truck. Fortunately the rifle was not damaged in shipping and franklin said they replaced the piston assembly and cam pin.I fired the rifle yesterday with superb accuracy and no failure to fire issues for the first time since purchasing the rifle new in 2016.Franklin charged me for the repairs 137 dollars since I was working out of town and didn't get the rifle sent back in time for initial warranty coverage. I am crossing my fingers that I don't have any more issues with the rifle when sagerats come out next year here in Oregon.