Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:29 AM
ek-marlin-424
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Citori stocks refinished

Here's a Browning Citori with stocks I recently refinished. Gloss finish brushed on. I wasn't trying to replicate the original epoxy gel coat Browning (Miroku) finish, but still keep it relatively shiny.

This turned out to be a special challenge because the fore-end piece was all sapwood and way lighter color after the original finish was stripped off. Fun surprise! Had to use a color mix to get the two to match.

Here's one "before" pic right as I started adding finish, and I'll note the Frogtape "delicate" tape is excellent for covering checkering. I'll try to find a pic with the fore-end.

Last edited by ek-marlin-424; 04-18-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:04 AM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice! Was that a tru-oil finish? Did you add the color to the tru-oil?
Old 04-18-2019, 08:23 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice work EK.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:23 AM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Ek, I use the frog tape and some time the low adhesion painters tape and they both work well. Did you recut the checkering or just finish it lightly when done?
Old 04-18-2019, 11:21 AM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Beautiful as always with your work! I'd like to know more about the process and the product that you used.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:26 PM
ek-marlin-424

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Thanks all! I mostly use spar urethane as a finish (gloss here) and switch to Waterlox original gloss finish to complete the last of the topcoat. I can make lacquer even smoother but I've never had it hold up to really bad weather nearly as well as the urethane finishes, plus I'd rather have a more flexible vs brittle finish in our varied climate here.

I wet sanded the stock to with fine wet/dry sandpaper to fill the pores with wood dust (at least as well as I could) and finish smoothing everything out. Once the pores are filled and you're building up a topcoat the trick is keeping it flat and smooth so there's careful wet sanding with micro mesh pads between applications of finish. I brush it on with basic 2" poly brushes- I prefer natural bristles for some things but keep going back to the poly for stocks. When brushing on the topcoat I try to apply just enough to have a streak-free finish but not enough to get any runs or sags. Then the stocks are hung up in a small box to remain dust-free.

I ended up using a mix of three different stains to get a color I liked and worked consistently between the two pieces. I did try and get it looking more like a factory Browning here color-wise, if anything more Superposed than Citori. I ended up adding the color after the pores were basically filled and I continued with the clear topcoat, which is apparently how Browning (Miroku) did it too.

grg I didn't recut the checkering, the tape did an excellent job at keeping it clean. I did recut the borders to make them sharp and then just brushed on a few light coats of matte finish with some stain added.