moly powder - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:34 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
moly powder

How long does it stay on the trigger engagement surfaces? Al wondered to himself while wandering in the desert looking for his first muj.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:03 AM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (231)
Well, Al, years ago I got into using moly when I was shooting CF BR. I used it primarily to moly coat my bullets using tiny ball bearings and moly powder in a case tumbler. It did a beautiful job. (Nosler and Hornady and maybe others later offered moly-coated bullets; don't know if they still do.) I can tell you that cleaning a rifle bore after shooting moly-coated bullets is a real chore. I found that using JB Borepaste in Kroil was the most effective but still took many passes through the bore. And I suspect that the moly was never fully removed from the bore surface (but wasn't that the idea?). I think I read somewhere that moly powder will penetrate metal surfaces (actually, I would think, the molecules imbedding into any surface imperfections as no metal surface is perfectly smooth). The idea of the moly-coated bullets was/is to make them slipperier going through the bore and the moly is imbedded into the bore surface as well -- all to enhance velocity and reduce pressures.

How easily moly can be removed would likely depend on what you're using to remove it and how smooth the surface. The MSO2 molecules are very small and layered -- molybdenum atoms sandwiched between sulfide ions that slide on each other. The coefficient of friction is very low, hence its lube properties. I think its properties as a moly powder (which imbeds) are different than when moly powder is in a grease substrate (which doesn't). The latter may be easier to clean/remove from a metal surface.

The question is why you would want to remove it if your objective was to make it smoother?

Doug
Old 04-05-2019, 08:40 AM
theearlof

TPC Rating: 
100% (80)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post

The question is why you would want to remove it if your objective was to make it smoother?

Doug
I don't think the OP was asking how to remove it, rather how long (does it really stay?) does it last on the metal surfaces.

Last edited by theearlof; 04-06-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2019, 08:46 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post

Doug
Oh I don't want to remove it. I was wondering about first hand use on triggers, like recommended in the sticky, I used it, and how long the felt or measured trigger pull reduction lasted with it just being a powder. How often does it need to be re-applied or whatever to 'hold' the felt reduction.
After I whacked a coyote with my Cooper 22Hornet 5+ yrs ago?, I didn't use it after because I stumbled on a 5MM rf and then the 17WSM before MI allowed cf at nite for preds.

Last edited by Al the Infidel; 04-05-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:50 AM
joet333
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Al, several years ago I moved from traditional lubes and graphite on the trigger engagement surfaces, to moly lube (paste form) and also moly dri-lube (brush on liquid that evaporates to leave a dry moly surface). I have treated several RF rifles to both as an exercise to see which works best. I have never used moly powder. To date, neither moly lube has decreased it's effectiveness, worn out, or left the surface, after several years of use. So I can't rightly answer your question "How long does it last?" For me, it seems to last a very long time on the trigger/sear. Come back from the desert and have some moly.
JoeT.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:53 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Joe. Do you prefer one over the other, paste vs dri-lube?
Old 04-05-2019, 09:01 AM
joet333
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
I have used both on Coopers and Kimbers. The paste is a little easier to see where to place it...just use a very small pin head amount on a toothpick. The dri-lube seems to work just as well and probably reduces the possibility of attracting crud. I have no preference right now...both seem to work.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:48 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks again Joe.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:52 PM
1911nut
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Iíve used Neco moly slide grease on 1911 bullseye pistol sear/hammer contact surfaces. It gave a slight decrease in measured pull and noticeably smoother pull.
It stayed on the sear/trigger for around 500 rounds, my frame cleaning interval. And thatís in an environment of carbon, powder and primer residue. I felt it smoothed the pull of my roll triggers the more I used it on 22 and 45 pistols.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 71CAD00F-D0D3-4E5A-8B4D-327051C4FA7B.jpeg (51.9 KB, 103 views)
Old 04-13-2019, 08:08 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911nut View Post
Iíve used Neco moly slide grease on 1911 bullseye pistol sear/hammer contact surfaces. It gave a slight decrease in measured pull and noticeably smoother pull.
It stayed on the sear/trigger for around 500 rounds, my frame cleaning interval. And thatís in an environment of carbon, powder and primer residue. I felt it smoothed the pull of my roll triggers the more I used it on 22 and 45 pistols.

I'll have to try it on the new Walther PPQ Q5 Match 9mm pistol recently purchased with a less than perfect trigger.....as soon as I figure out my first striker fired firearm. It needs some buffing with ss polish.