T/C Patriot Pistol - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:33 AM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
T/C Patriot Pistol

It appears that I am going to acquire a .45 caliber T/C Patriot. One of these has been on my list for a while. As happenstance would have it, one crossed my path when I had the funds available. Anyone have one and care to share tips and anecdotes about this pistol? I have read up on them somewhat and know about protecting the wrist of the stock. Other than that, I plan to use and load it based on my muzzle loading rifles. I have a cap and ball revolver, but no front-loading pistols.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:47 AM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I always wanted one but wasn’t smart enough to buy one before they quit making them.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:17 PM
Pete44ru
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
85% (9)

I've had a couple, a .36 & a .45, and can only cite the caveats you might have read about:

* Hold it in your hands when loading, and not vertically in a loading stand, to avoid cracking the stock.

* Never load more than the equivalent of 30gr FFg over a PRB (they were designed to use a patched round ball), also to avoid cracking the stock.

Here's the owner's manual, with the factory recommended loads near the bottom.

http://www.tiropratico.com/manuali-p...Supplement.pdf

FWIW:

I clean all my frontstuffers with T/C's Ox-Yoke bore cleaner (Moose Milk), running some downbore until the ignition channel spouts some, then remove the nipple for separate hot water cleaning before drying the bore with multiple patches - then I wipe the bore with BoreButter 1000+ until the next firing session.

I store mine with a 1"x 1-1/2" piece of thick scrap leather between the nipple and the dropped hammer.(YMMV)

You will need to get used to the Patriot's set trigger, which works opposite the way most other muzzleloader's set triggers work (it's in the manual, above).

Last edited by Pete44ru; 01-20-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:23 AM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Thanks or the tips. I should be getting it in a week so.
Now I'm looking for a 0.440" mold for casting.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:03 PM
Brittman
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey, guys!

I've had one since the 80's, I think? Love shooting it. It's a .45 cal. and I am always careful when loading it, too. Too bad they ceased making them. (I always load 25 gr. of BP or Pyrodex RP powder in mine.)

Fun little handguns. Enjoy yours!

Shoot well,
Brittman
Old 01-20-2019, 02:21 PM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
The pistol is waiting for me down at the post office. As today is Sunday, and MLK day, I'll have to wait until Tuesday. But my .440" mold is on it way.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:45 PM
1sgt105
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a .45 and it is a good shooter. The front set trigger you will get used to. Mine will not fire if you do not set the front trigger. I use a .440 ball, .016 patch, with 18 grains of Old Ensford powder. I have changed the sights for a longer sight radius. It is very accurate at 25 yards. Have fun.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:34 AM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Thanks. I got my pistol. The crown is buggered up a bit so I can't shoot it until I get that fixed!