Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:34 PM
RavenSvc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Browning T Bolt .22 Accuracy

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I'm hoping I can get some opinions or thoughts on the accuracy of the Browning T Bolt .22 (new version). I have an Anschutz 1416 that I really enjoy, but I just cant get over how pretty the T Bolt is. I noticed that it has a significantly thinner sporter barrel, but barrel length appears to be the same. What kind of accuracy are T Bolt owners getting? At 50 yards or 100 yards. I know its not technically a benchrest gun, but neither is my Anschutz. Please let me know your experience. Oh, and before anyone asks why I want another sporter .22.... It's an addiction.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:34 PM
ThunderStick
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have 2, black stock with threaded barrel and the maple sporter. You are indeed correct that they are good looking rifles! My maple stock shoots a little better than the threaded model with suppressor at around 3/4 to an inch at 50. I shoot Eley sshp most of the time as well as target. Both mine HATE CCI standard velocity for some reason. Do a little reading and you will find the number one gripe about the T-Bolt is the stiff trigger, that is very difficult to improve upon. I have my fingers crossed that there will be a replacement by end of year. If you are expecting it to shoot with your Annie forget it! Neither of mine will out shoot my old 541T Remington! O, they are pretty though!
Old 09-09-2013, 07:28 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStick View Post
I have 2, black stock with threaded barrel and the maple sporter. You are indeed correct that they are good looking rifles! My maple stock shoots a little better than the threaded model with suppressor at around 3/4 to an inch at 50. I shoot Eley sshp most of the time as well as target. Both mine HATE CCI standard velocity for some reason. Do a little reading and you will find the number one gripe about the T-Bolt is the stiff trigger, that is very difficult to improve upon. I have my fingers crossed that there will be a replacement by end of year. If you are expecting it to shoot with your Annie forget it! Neither of mine will out shoot my old 541T Remington! O, they are pretty though!
Pretty much my experience. I really like my little T-Bolt, but no way it will shoot as accurately as my Annies or CZs for that matter. It's hunting accurate, very light, and for what it was designed for, it does very well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 07:52 PM
FyrepowrX

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
Pretty much my experience. I really like my little T-Bolt, but no way it will shoot as accurately as my Annies or CZs for that matter. It's hunting accurate, very light, and for what it was designed for, it does very well.
very well put...

my T's dont shoot as well as some of my other guns, but the T bolts sure carry well in the woods...

guess i'd say mine average about an inch at 50 also, maybe a tad better , but an inch for 5 shots is average. plenty good enough to zing squirrels at the ranges i normally shoot them.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:13 PM
RavenSvc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you all for the quick and helpful responses. I cant say that I'm not a little disappointed. For the money I was hoping for a little better. Cant say I regret the purchase because I'm just in love with the gun... Kinda reminds me of a girl I used to know, overpriced, a little off, but hot.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:08 PM
don5

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi everyone,
First post here for me. I have bought 2 Browning T-bolts this year. Both are sporter models but one has a maple stock and the other has a walnut stock. I bought the maple version first and my 14 year old son has taken 3 groundhogs with it. He then asked if I was going to use it for squirrels. I knew then I was going to have to buy him one so he would leave mine alone! They are lightweight and hunting accurate. I do wish the triggers were lighter.

Last edited by don5; 09-09-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:08 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by don5 View Post
Hi everyone,
First post here for me. I have bought 2 Browning T-bolts this year. Both are sporter models but one has a maple stock and the other has a walnut stock. I bought the maple version first and my 14 year old son has taken 3 groundhogs with it. He then asked if I was going to use it for squirrels. I knew then I was going to have to buy him one so he would leave mine alone! They are lightweight and hunting accurate. I do wish the triggers were lighter.
Don, let me throw in a big to RFC. You did a good thing getting that youngster his own gun....it may have cost you now, but most likely will pay dividends down the road.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:36 AM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenSvc View Post
Thank you all for the quick and helpful responses. I cant say that I'm not a little disappointed. For the money I was hoping for a little better. Cant say I regret the purchase because I'm just in love with the gun... Kinda reminds me of a girl I used to know, overpriced, a little off, but hot.
Thanks for the grins.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:35 AM
BayouBob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 22 LR shoots Federal Gold Medal high speeds into 1/2 inch at 50 meters. It has an acceptable trigger. My 22 Mag maple stock shoots Remington Accutips into less than 1/2 inch at 50. I've gotten a few 5 shot groups that were 3/8 inch or a little better but it has a horrible trigger and I find myself pulling a lot of shots if I don't really concentrate and with my old eyes and shaky hands I usually throw at least one out of the group. If I could get a new trigger I think it would be a tack driver and be at least as accurate as my CZ or my 541S.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:08 AM
budrichard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Browning T-Bolt Target/Varmint purchased when they were first introduced.
It was not purchased for Target shooting but for squirrel hunting.
It has a Leupold 3x9 EFR with the thinner duplex and Browning(Talley) rings.
The T-Bolt action is very quick and I normally wait until I have three squirrels out and around and then take them. If I have only one at a time, a good shot and I let it stay until I shoot another as not to disturb the little critters too much.
I use Winchester Wildcat solids which are fine for this purpose and do not damage too much If I only have a heart/lung shot.
It's not a benchrest gun in trigger or accuracy and at 25yds the groups with the Wildcat are fine for hunting.
I was gogin to use T22 in the gun for hunting but when I shot the initial sighting groups with the Wildcat, the accuracy proved to be much better than I expected, so I just hunt with the Wildcat.
The rotary magazine is another big plus if you hunt. 10 rnds is more than enough for one hunt and the tang safety makes this a fast gun.-Dick
Old 09-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Longtrang

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Okay I'm new to this so bare with me. I agree 100% my 16" threaded t-bolt is one of my favorites for squirrel hunts because it carries so well and is fast on follow up shots. Not that they are need if I just do my part. Which means that there is a chance that follow up shots will be need from time to time. LOL. My T-bolt loves Winchester Subsonic hollow points with Truncated cone.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:20 PM
TLARbb

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Longtrang, welcome to RFC. I think you will enjoy visiting and shooting with us. We have a very good, mostly friendly, group of folks here.

EJ
Old 10-02-2013, 02:02 AM
armtx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtrang View Post
Okay I'm new to this so bare with me. I agree 100% my 16" threaded t-bolt is one of my favorites for squirrel hunts because it carries so well and is fast on follow up shots. Not that they are need if I just do my part. Which means that there is a chance that follow up shots will be need from time to time. LOL. My T-bolt loves Winchester Subsonic hollow points with Truncated cone.
Same setup as you down to the ammo and I'm getting 5 shots at 50 yds that are easily covered by a nickel.

That round is absolutely devastating on nutria down here in SE Louisiana. The tree rats, makes quick work on them too.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:40 AM
don5

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Update to my last post. I now have 3 T-bolts! I took my maple one hunting and had to be very careful with it. I decided to buy a sporter with a black stock and spare mag for hunting. You guys didn't tell me how addicting they were going to be. In any event I am putting a very used 4x12 AO leupold on it. I think that, until I put the big scope on it, the plastic stock is the lightest one of all. I haven't shot it yet. I am hoping it shoots as well as the other two. They are minute of squirrel accurate.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (56)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenSvc View Post
Hello,

I am new to the forum. I'm hoping I can get some opinions or thoughts on the accuracy of the Browning T Bolt .22 (new version). I have an Anschutz 1416 that I really enjoy, but I just cant get over how pretty the T Bolt is. I noticed that it has a significantly thinner sporter barrel, but barrel length appears to be the same. What kind of accuracy are T Bolt owners getting? At 50 yards or 100 yards. I know its not technically a benchrest gun, but neither is my Anschutz. Please let me know your experience. Oh, and before anyone asks why I want another sporter .22.... It's an addiction.
Rest assured,no one around here is going to ask you why you want another sporter .22.
Why you still only have one,might be the question that comes to mind.