Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-08-2021, 03:17 PM
Vacman369

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
10/22 Firing Pin Peened at the back

Hello all, I recently joined so this is a first post for me but I just came across a problem that I would like some input on. I have an older model 10/22 that I got used a few years ago. I've shot it a few hundred rounds but unknown how used it was before that. This weekend I had a couple of failures to fire and finally the last three rounds failed in a row so I put the gun away. When I took it apart at home I took the bolt out and the firing pin is smashed pretty good at the back where the hammer will hit it. It won't move now but it sort of seems like something jammed the pin from moving and it took the hits with nowhere to go causing the damage. I'm not that familiar with 10/22s so I am trying to figure out what went wrong before I simply replace the firing pin. I was using a couple different brands of ammo (CCI SV, Eley from CMP, and Remington Thunderbolts) which all worked fine before (and up until it stopped shooting). I did recently change out the magazine release to an extended version but I don't see how that would have affected this. Anyways, if you guys could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate the help.

Thanks.
John
Old 07-08-2021, 07:54 PM
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacman369 View Post
Hello all, I recently joined so this is a first post for me but I just came across a problem that I would like some input on. I have an older model 10/22 that I got used a few years ago. I've shot it a few hundred rounds but unknown how used it was before that. This weekend I had a couple of failures to fire and finally the last three rounds failed in a row so I put the gun away. When I took it apart at home I took the bolt out and the firing pin is smashed pretty good at the back where the hammer will hit it. It won't move now but it sort of seems like something jammed the pin from moving and it took the hits with nowhere to go causing the damage. I'm not that familiar with 10/22s so I am trying to figure out what went wrong before I simply replace the firing pin. I was using a couple different brands of ammo (CCI SV, Eley from CMP, and Remington Thunderbolts) which all worked fine before (and up until it stopped shooting). I did recently change out the magazine release to an extended version but I don't see how that would have affected this. Anyways, if you guys could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate the help.

Thanks.
John
as always... pics help

here's a copy of the pic of the bolt from the manual

as you can see, it's spring loaded (part#10), so it should be held towards the rear of the bolt by the spring..but you should also be able to push it forwards with your finger and have the spring pull it back

Last edited by crackedcornish; 07-08-2021 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:04 PM
Kilerham

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I suggest putting the whole thing in a box and sending it to me. I will send you 260$ for your troubles.
Cheers

Cracked is a tone of help as some other members.

Cheers mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2021, 08:05 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Welcome to RFC...
If it is peened/or mushroomed it's a problem for sure.. use the above schematic as a guide.. the roll pin needs tapped out but be aware of that little spring.. be careful go slow and be aware. Once ya get it out the FP can be sanded/filed flat again.. file first then on a flat/hard surface with some wet/dry sand paper or garnet paper.. 200 grit to start then 400 or higher to finish... if it's mangled beyond repair just buy a new one... dunno how someone coulda messed it up or why.. Inspect the bolt for what Bubba may have screwed up as well.. extractor (12) is always suspect too.

Vids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw6KbM7CjFM

FP's :
https://1022racerifle.com/sale-items/
https://www.kiddinnovativedesign.com...-Pin_p_48.html

Last edited by Chaser; 07-08-2021 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:12 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
How does the face of the hammer look? Is it mangled? Marred ?

Some people put in a stronger hammer spring , and some people radius the back of the bolt, if either or both of these things was done incorrectly they might play a factor in the issue.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:18 PM
Vacman369

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the help. Here are some pictures of what the pin looks like. The pin will move up/down a little at the rear but is stuck forward/back. Itís bent slightly at the rear too. The hammer looks fine to me. Changing it out doesnít look too hard but thanks for pointing out that spring. That would get lost for sure. Iím mostly concerned there is some underlying issue that caused this in the first place. I would want to take care of that while I change the pin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F7F33989-2153-441F-AFAC-282C0C3EAB32.jpg (520.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg A14A3B7A-C0D7-4F17-B952-BCC1D232C021.jpg (484.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 060C6DC2-F5B7-4BF1-A0AF-99CD5927B2DD.jpg (478.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 07-08-2021, 10:21 PM
Vacman369

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry the pictures are sideways. They are oriented properly in my album but transferred like this.

Iím anxious to see what you think.

Thanks.
John
Old 07-08-2021, 10:33 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
New pin, and youll be fine. Prolly just a bad annealing job on a batch of pins 20 years ago. No underlying structural defect
Old 07-08-2021, 11:06 PM
Horsefly

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Odd Observation in the Rear Pic.

It appears that there is metal of the firing pin that is below the pin channel at rear of the bolt. I don't think I've ever seen that before & that can't bee a good thing. It also appears that the bolt is bent, as you stated.

Are there any peen marks on the breech of the barrel? I can't imagine a firing pin bending like that unless it's hitting the breech face. I'd also check how far the firing pin is allowed to move forward. Could be that it's being allowed to move too much forward .

Chase offered good advice , but with a bent firing pin...I'd replace it along with a new rebound spring and a new firing pin stop pin. New FP, spring & stop pin are pretty inexpensive and could eliminate future occurrences.

Check back in and let us know how it's functioning after working on some things.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:23 AM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
yeah, I've never seen the back of the firing pin do something like that...I've seen the tip mess up, but never the rear

either way get that one out, and clear the channel in the bolt from any blockages or stuff like burnt powder residue ...or any old locktite that has dripped into it from mounting a scope base

then, at the very least, install a new firing pin

a stock Ruger firing pin can be had for $5 from Midway, or you can spend as much asf $28 for some of the aftermarket stuff

they list some aftermarket firing pin rebound springs and a firing pin stop pin as well

Last edited by crackedcornish; 07-09-2021 at 01:31 AM.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:28 AM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
?

Last edited by crackedcornish; 07-09-2021 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:29 AM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
don't know why it tripled...sorry guys

Last edited by crackedcornish; 07-09-2021 at 01:31 AM.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:55 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Well at least you noticed,this time
Old 07-09-2021, 04:18 AM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsefly View Post
It also appears that the bolt is bent, as you stated
Bolt? I think you mean pin.

I'm struggling to come up with a reason the firing pin could be damaged like that, but a new one is cheap and easy to install, and as long as the action is relatively clean it should operate pretty much flawlessly for a very long time. Even when dirty, that's a very simple and reliable part.
Old 07-09-2021, 04:32 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Many years ago

I had an aftermarket power custom firing do this, but after around 50k rounds,

I simply replaced it with a factory one,

Around once every year I replaced the extractor and every two -3 years the same with the firing pin.

But then in comp in the UK we can easily shoot up to 500/1000 rounds on a weekend the round count start to build up quite quickly.