June 2021 Rimfire Benchrest Factory/Unlimited - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:18 AM
chuck40219
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Kilerham

[QUOTE=Kilerham;12370993]I guess I will stick with the fun matches because IMO 7-17-50 are all the same and not breaking the 100 point line.

Are you saying that you think I should change the points to 100 instead of 50? Just trying to understand your concerns.

Excuse me for the ignorant question. Do you scan the target in the computer?

Yes it is scanned on a flatbed scanner with weight placed on the lid to ensure the target is flat. And that is not a ignorant question.

chuck40219
Old 06-24-2021, 10:29 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=chuck40219;12371043]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilerham View Post
I guess I will stick with the fun matches because IMO 7-17-50 are all the same and not breaking the 100 point line.

Are you saying that you think I should change the points to 100 instead of 50? Just trying to understand your concerns.

Yes it is scanned on a flatbed scanner with weight placed on the lid to ensure the target is flat. And that is not a ignorant question.

chuck40219

I think you should good shooting.

Sorry I have never played with the computer scoring systems. I looked at them a bit this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2021, 08:00 AM
Pipes1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=Kilerham;12370993]I guess I will stick with the fun matches because IMO 7-17-50 are all the same and not breaking the 100 point line.

I went through the same questions when getting into target shooting, a few months ago. It seemed so subjective even when I would scan and use photo software for extreme zoom on some of the close shots that I was getting frustrated. Thanks to some input here and shooting my first ARA club matches, along with some trial and error, I became more comfortable with the process. (Not that I am an expert by any stretch.)

Looking at some of my targets I realized visual wouldn't work because the hole sizes weren't even all the same size or shape since the bullet pushes, stretches and tears its way through the paper rather than the effect of a paper punch that cuts a clean circle. I then tried using a bullet in one of the holes I would have called in and was surprised to find it was obviously out as the bullet opened the hole to the actual size.

Plug gages are designed with a taper to center in the hole then a step that will be the actual diameter of the bullet. This step then rests on top of the paper giving you the true location and diameter of the bullet. You can still have some subjective calls when they are right on the edge of the line but minimal by comparison to other methods of scoring.

Our club also recently started using the ARA scanning software and it does speed up the process along with providing hard copy data of each target. Even with the software, close calls still require a plug gage for final decisions.

Bottom line is visual is subjective so plug gages are used when scoring targets for competition. It also works in the fun matches here on RFC for consistent results if everyone uses the same process.

This is the gage used by the ARA, for example.
https://www.killoughshootingsports.c...ring-plug.html

Hope this helps.
Robert

Last edited by Pipes1; 06-26-2021 at 01:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2021, 08:09 AM
Pipes1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thought I would get in a last run before the end of the month but the wind was really kicking my butt. The target was moving to where I had to time my shots in an attempt to hit the mark.

Still good practice as we can't always get the perfect days and I do need to learn to read the wind.

Factory, 25 yards
Screen Name: Pipes1 Name: Robert
Rifle: CZ 457 Varmint Precision Chassis, Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56, Ammo: SK Standard +, Score: 2000
SEB Mini front rest, Protektor rear bag.
Weather: 10mph with 15mph gusts, 85 degrees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ARA 25 yard 6-28-21.jpg (537.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-30-2021, 07:09 PM
chuck40219
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Still looking for the magic

Second try for factory class this month.

chuck40219
CZ 457 AT-ONE VARMINT 22 LR 24", SK+, 1875
Clearidge Ultra RM 3x9x32 set at 9x
Sinclair front, Protektor rear
60*F, 10 mph, cloudy

Last bit of my good ammo. Just the run of the mill ammo now, guess I will shoot the CZ match for plinking ammo.

No photos of the setup today, left phone at home, can't get a phone signal at the the range anyway.

chuck40219